Sugar cane juice Perth

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Sugar cane juice Perth

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:23 pm

As title suggests, does anyone know of a supplier in Perth that has sugar cane juice?

Mollases is not quite getting me the white rum I'm after and I want to try a few experiments with it
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Re: Sugar cane juice Perth

Postby RefluxEd » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Sugar cane is just sugar. I suppose a few botanicals from the cane might add a little flavour, but why not just use less molasses and more sugar?

I'm on a 3rd generation of rum (adding the dunder from the last distillation to the next ferment) and find the white rum is very drinkable and mixes quite well. But the real value comes using French oak dominoes. Most bought rum just doesn't compare for smoothness and flavour. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi Urrazeb
Mate the cane season is from June to November or whenever they finish the crush.
So at this time of year you have very little chance of getting any.

Even when working in the sugar mills we didn't have access to buying the clarified liquor.
Perhaps there are health food shops that would trade in it during the season.

Some traditional rums are made from the liquor, I gather that is what you are experimenting with?
Hope you find a supplier... it would be interesting to see what a rum based on cane juice tasted like.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks DBV

So far I have tried the following;

*Refluxed mc rum
*Double distilled mc rum - 5plates no packing
*Halved mollases & replaced with white sugar
*qtr mollases and replace with white sugar
*refluxed mc rum on french oak

None of these are getting me close to what I'm chasing, this leaves me with two paths- carbon filter or change the ingredients to adversely affect the flavour.

A lot of white rum is made from cane juice, I'm predominantly chasimg untreated raw juice but am in the wrong part of the country for good supply.

The aim here is a light rum with some flavour, not the mollases flavour... It's something different, think Mount Gay Rum

Next up for the run trials is a cut rum put through the neutralser, rum is one flavour that just doesn't thin out very easily
Urrazeb

Postby woodduck » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:18 am

You got my curiosity going there so i started looking into this juice, i thought molasses was cane juice 8-} :laughing-rolling:

Anyway came across this mob. You've probably tryed them already but just incase.

They don't appear to have a website but their number is there. Hope they might be able to help.

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/wa/perth/ ... sting.html
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby CH3CH2OH » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:47 am

One thought I have is that besides using just using less molasses and more sugar you could oak it for 2/3/6 months to get the flavour and then run it through a carbon filter. That should strip the color and some of the congeners that may be contributing to the flavors you are not wanting and "mellow" the rum out. You might want to experiment with a rum that you already have to see what a run through a filter will do to change the flavor profile.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:53 am

Just thinking on this a little more, perhaps during the season you could get one of the mills to ship you a couple of 200 ltr drums of the clarified liquor.
The reason I say the liquor and not cane juice - is water.
You could basically have a sugar cane juice concentrate instead of juice.
Saving you freight for the quantity of juice you get.... IE just add water when it gets to you.
How much you add would be an experiment in itself.

Just thinking out loud. :think:
You mentioned Mt Gay rum.... I have to say - that is one of the few commercial rums I would even entertain drinking... and not expensive either. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I like the sound of your experiments, keep at it.
Have been thinking of rum recently as it is one of the things I haven't tried yet.
Living in cane country, it's not like there is a shortage of molasses during the season.
At a $1/ltr from stock feed places it's cheap as.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:52 am

wynnum1

Postby bt1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:24 am

This mob will sort you out...

http://www.thesugarcaneshop.com.au/

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:26 am

woodduck wrote:You got my curiosity going there so i started looking into this juice, i thought molasses was cane juice 8-} :laughing-rolling:

Anyway came across this mob. You've probably tryed them already but just incase.

They don't appear to have a website but their number is there. Hope they might be able to help.

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/wa/perth/ ... sting.html

Hey WD I did give them a call a while ago and they didn't know what I was on about (language barrier) and she was telling me it's $4.50 a glass repeatedly :angry-banghead:

I have read that white rum is just carbon filtered aged mollases rum but fail to see the commercial viability in using a 'second grade' product (mollases) age it then filter it when in rum country there is ample sweet nectar available 8-}

The experiments will never end as so far this summer I have been using commercial white rum a fair bit on those hot days as I received some from Santa and I know I can make it... Just got to nut it out
Urrazeb

Postby bt1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:48 am

Ok these mobs depending on container sizing may be right up your street...

http://www.sugaraustralia.com.au/LiquidSugars.aspx

http://www.bundysugar.com.au/products/specs_liquid

Now heads down, get it underway and when you got a Mount Gay nailed we want the details :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 am

:text-+1: :D :D
dogbreath vodka

Postby Muppet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:29 am

Good luck Zeb I think this will be a hard one, by the time you tone down the molasses flavor it would be hard to get other carry overs :think: makes sence to replace most of the molasses with a substitute. Or a blend of two types :think:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:51 am

Muppet wrote:Good luck Zeb I think this will be a hard one, by the time you tone down the molasses flavor it would be hard to get other carry overs :think: makes sence to replace most of the molasses with a substitute. Or a blend of two types :think:

See I don't think so Muppet, rum distilleries have been making white rum for ages, it can't be that hard :shock:

I think I just have to find the right mix as you say, whether that be in the fermenter or the bottling
Urrazeb

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:04 am

bt1 wrote:Ok these mobs depending on container sizing may be right up your street...

http://www.sugaraustralia.com.au/LiquidSugars.aspx

http://www.bundysugar.com.au/products/specs_liquid

Now heads down, get it underway and when you got a Mount Gay nailed we want the details :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bt1

Bundy is a no go, they use all their raw cane juice for their own production purposes, minimum buy for the "Fine Liquid Sugar" is a shocking 25 tonne making it a little uneconomical for me.

I have flicked off an enquiry to Sugar Australia and am currently awaiting a response :pray:
Urrazeb

Postby MacStill » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:13 am

Here's what I would try for a test 50L wash

10kg "raw sugar"
A little DAP
Couple of vitamin B tabs
EC 1118

*maybe* a very small dollop of tomato paste for extra nutrients, or some other tasteless yeast nutrient.

This will give you a very light rum as the raw sugar is reasonably low in molasses flavour.

Worth a shot IMHO :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:19 am

I will get one of those on mac, cheers
Urrazeb

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:43 am

I might try get my hands on some panela (sp?) as the dry version of cane juice seems more available.

Failing these two more experiments I will try it with palm sugar as it resembles a more organic product than refined sugar.

Few more experiments yet then it seems :O)
Urrazeb

Postby huggy_b » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:31 pm

Urrazeb wrote:I might try get my hands on some panela (sp?) as the dry version of cane juice seems more available.

Failing these two more experiments I will try it with palm sugar as it resembles a more organic product than refined sugar.

Few more experiments yet then it seems :O)

Looked into that, not a cheap way to make rum! From memory it was like $7 - $8ish a kilo and that was buying in bulk (20kg bags).......

Also look for rapadura sugar (same thing)
huggy_b

equipment: 4" glasser (5 plates)

Postby bayshine » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:31 pm

I think you may find that the white rum flavours your chasing may also come from their own secretly kept yeast strain :think:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Next

Return to Distillers Warehouse