Molasses in SA

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Molasses in SA

Postby vqstatesman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi All,

I have been buying molasses from my local fodder shop for $26 for 25KG unless recently. They shrunk the size down to 20KG for the same price. So I started shopping around and the cheapest I could come up with was $30 for 20 Litres if I bring my own bucket.

Anyway I ended up purchasing private from here: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/birdwood ... 1017372001

$28 for 20 L or $1.2/L buy buckets. Not bad price so I thought I would share.

Ps the guy has a lovely property (Birdwood is a little rural) and was super nice. And knows I was buying for rum with no concern.
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Re: Molasses in SA

Postby Spiffy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks so much for letting us know, I live near Birdwood so will be handy :)

I have a reflux still but now on the hunt for a decent Pot Still or to hire someone else's close by to me so I can make decent Rums and Whisky's :)

Question on your rum, have you loved the Taste? I'm originally from Qld and Drank many bottles of rum over the years :)

Thanks again, Cheers

Spiffy
Spiffy

equipment: A modded Super Reflux Stil

Postby vqstatesman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Spiffy wrote:Thanks so much for letting us know, I live near Birdwood so will be handy :)

I have a reflux still but now on the hunt for a decent Pot Still or to hire someone else's close by to me so I can make decent Rums and Whisky's :)

Question on your rum, have you loved the Taste? I'm originally from Qld and Drank many bottles of rum over the years :)

Thanks again, Cheers

Spiffy

No probs mate.

Difficult question to answer as I'm not a huge Rum drinker. This was more of an experiment as my partner drinks Rum... What I will say is I haven't been over the moon with anything I have made so far during my 2 years (less than 12 months with current bubbler). I have done a few BWKO and still waiting to be impressed. My Rum on the other hand gets the thumbs up from the partner and has converted me into a rum drinker :)
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby 1 2many » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Spiffy wrote:Thanks so much for letting us know, I live near Birdwood so will be handy :)

Thanks again, Cheers

Spiffy

Hi mate I don't think you will have much luck in hiring a still.

Why not pop into the welcome center and introduce yourself and tell us a little more about what you would like to achieve out of this hobby, make it easier for us to point you in the right direction. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Return to Distillers Warehouse