Kmart 2L Glass flasks!!!!!!

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Kmart 2L Glass flasks!!!!!!

Postby Rumking » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:17 pm

Afternoon all.

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, so please move admin if i stuffed up.
Thought you guys may be interested in these, I couldn't walk past them :happy-partydance:

Just picked up 2 of these bad boys for a reasonable price $5 each from Kmart. Glass seems quiet thick clearly states not for hot liquids and I'm not sure how accurate the measurements are, but will come in handy for collection and measuring.

image.jpeg

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/glass-b ... ork/718817
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rumking

equipment: 5L Airstill recent upgrade to 25L s/steel pot still.

Re: Kmart 2L Glass flasks!!!!!!

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:48 pm

Hah,
Saw them in the store the other day... aaaand was wondering the same. They seem to be advertised as 'Vases' and I think that the temperature disclaimer is more to negate noobs from boiling liquids in a home experiment!

Would assume that using them to collect from a still should be no problem, after all you can use normal glass jars... :ugeek:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby scythe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Yeah they would not be the borosilicate glass that proper lab ware is made from so it would not handle a bunsen burner heating it.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:14 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: awesome mate, was about to order these online from a science store to use to measure/ mix essence, would have paid $25 each plus $10 postage. Cheers mate
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Rumking » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Yeah defiantly wouldn't heat them, you can clearly see the join down the centre so they won't formed in one piece like a proper lab flask but for measuring, collecting, mixing I can't see how you could go wrong.
I did notice a couple on the shelf had the measurements and markers rubbing off, so don't know how long that would last. But again $5 all day for a 2L flask :handgestures-thumbupleft:

They also do 1L ones for $4 but didn't see them in store, only saw them on there website when I was looking for the link to post here.

Cheers
Rumking

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Yeap, measurements are not accurate at all, I used my measuring cylinder to check.
But no, don't heat them, but, who would be heating their hootch anyway???
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby warramungas » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:06 pm

I saw these and had a look a week or two ago. Definitely NOT to be used for heating. Cheap glass and the measurement, the same as any flask scientific or otherwise, are meant more as a rough guide than an accurate measure.
No scientist worth his salt would ever try to accurately measure anything out in a flask.
Treat it the same as you would a glass jar and you'll be fine.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Rumking » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:23 pm

Agree guys no heat but as Doubleuj said we really should have no need to be doing that. I bought these to put under my parrot. I will probably remark more accurate measurements on them in the intervals I need as a rough guide.

Anyway does the job for what I need and thought some of you could also take advantage of the deal.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rumking

Postby Adam007 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:54 pm

What do you guys think of these for aging vessels? Seem a cheaper option per ltr vs what the HBS wants for demijohns (not that they ever have any in stock...)
Adam007

equipment: 2" Boka
2" Pot
50L Keg Boiler 2400W

Postby EziTasting » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Adam007 wrote:What do you guys think of these for aging vessels? Seem a cheaper option per ltr vs what the HBS wants for demijohns (not that they ever have any in stock...)

Not that I am experienced, but I'd say they're too small. Big one is only 2 liters, I think...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby John » Thu May 05, 2016 6:34 am

I got one of these just to put my finished product in, just something different to a used JD or JB bottle I thought
John

equipment: still spirits

Return to Distillers Warehouse