Steel fermenters

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Steel fermenters

Postby Doubleuj » Tue May 03, 2016 4:59 pm

I found these steel 200L drums on gumtree
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1102714328
Am told they previously held orange juice or lemon juice.
He says they are good grade and painted on the inside, when I said I was looking for fermenters he said perhaps he could get some unpainted ones in a few days.
What's everyone's thoughts on using steel drums for fermentation if they are good grade and had been designed to hold lemon juice?
Other option he has is plastic drums that held ammonia, can these be cleaned enough to be safe?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Re: Steel fermenters

Postby Undertaker » Tue May 03, 2016 5:24 pm

Personally I wouldnt. What sort of coating is it, and is it compatible with acidic alcoholic wash. If they are not sealed properly on the joins, or have been damaged then they may leak or leach iron oxides.
I have seen steel drums used to hold juice before but they had a plastic liner like a bin liner that was disposable.
No idea on how easy it is to clean ammonia out

cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby warramungas » Tue May 03, 2016 5:40 pm

I've seen them used to make rum in the carribean. Fermenter and boiler all in one.
They were disposed of regularly though. They had sugar cane molasses delivered in the drums and used them for fermenting and boiling on an open fire.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.
I would hold out for a plastic drum that had food in it over ammonia. Yes you can wash them but would you want to? Not nice stuff.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby moonshinindawg » Tue May 03, 2016 5:46 pm

mate you need a stainless drum, same rig just stainless cheapest I have seen one is about $100 on gummie
Usually they are about $160

The acid will go to town on steel
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby Doubleuj » Tue May 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Cheers guys, I'll give them a miss. Was thinking the acid and steel wouldn't be a good mix, but then he had me thinking if lemon juice was in it... But you're probably right undertaker, they may have had plastic liners or only stored juice for a short period.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby bluc » Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 pm

moonshinindawg wrote:mate you need a stainless drum, same rig just stainless cheapest I have seen one is about $100 on gummie
Usually they are about $160

The acid will go to town on steel

$160 is a good price only ones I've seen are like $400 on ebay. I scored one (stainless) for free just hope it eventuates.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Kenster » Tue May 03, 2016 10:25 pm

Doubleuj, here in Vic a bloke sells brown plastic drums with seal & lid for 20 bucks...used to transport olives. They are around 80/90 litres.
I found them on theBay..may have something similar up north.
I dont use them cos the batch size is a bit big for my needs...every one will crucify me, but i just bought a black plastic rubbish bin from Bunnings
(60lit i think) ...seems to work pretty well...16 bucks...no seal or airlock...just leave the lid on & stick in a fishtank heater when it gets cool..all good so far.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Doubleuj » Tue May 03, 2016 10:39 pm

Kenster wrote:Doubleuj, here in Vic a bloke sells brown plastic drums with seal & lid for 20 bucks...used to transport olives. They are around 80/90 litres.
I found them on theBay..may have something similar up north.
I dont use them cos the batch size is a bit big for my needs...every one will crucify me, but i just bought a black plastic rubbish bin from Bunnings
(60lit i think) ...seems to work pretty well...16 bucks...no seal or airlock...just leave the lid on & stick in a fishtank heater when it gets cool..all good so far.

No crucifixion mate, I bought one of those to use as a fermenter then swmbo grabbed it as a bin!!! How dare she!!
Oh well, guess I'll wait or pay for the proper thing. Just want something I can put a large batch of tpw on and strip quickly with my new 50L boiler
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Psykamaholik » Wed May 04, 2016 12:07 pm

Couldn't you still use the steel drums but put your own plastic liner in there if that's what was done with the previous contents? Would make cleaning them after each run a piece of cake!
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby Doubleuj » Wed May 04, 2016 12:58 pm

hmm, maybe, like a rubbish bin bag?
what about the bag not being "food grade" i see others using rubbish bins, wheelie bins, anything that they can and none of these are food grade..
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed May 04, 2016 1:20 pm

I would just stick to ss or plastic drums with the right letters or numbers whatever it is on them. :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby hillzabilly » Wed May 04, 2016 2:16 pm

Doubleuj wrote:hmm, maybe, like a rubbish bin bag?
what about the bag not being "food grade" i see others using rubbish bins, wheelie bins, anything that they can and none of these are food grade..

I am a fan of the U Brew It beer mob ,they have a branch in Cairns,they use standard plastic fermenters wich they line with a plastic bags ,would pressume they are food and beverage safe,they say it makes cleaning quick and the darker wash does not stain the plastic,give them a call they may be able to sell ya a couple to try or have some second hand fermenters cheep.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Return to Distillers Warehouse