O rings with slotted edge?

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Re: O rings with slotted edge?

Postby Toddles » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:57 pm

That can't be anywhere near good.
Toddles
Site Donor

equipment: 30 ltr boiler
2" coil pc
3" 1 metre packed stainless for neutral -95.6% abv
3" 370mm unpacked for pot stilling -81% abv + 1/2 inch air cooled worm

Postby Chocko6969 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:58 am

hillzabilly wrote:Well in that case I would recommend useing only silicone,you mentioned fermenters for wich the rubber would be OK,heat and high ABV spirit will deteriate rubber and possibly contaminate ya spirit,not a good thing.cheers hillzabilly :angry-banghead:

Thanks mate, I was thinking that just needed some confirmation. Will keep searching! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby WTDist » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:58 am

Ive been looking into seals these past few weeks as i need a few abnormal sizes myself that i cant get from FSD so i need them made. From what i have read EPDM and silicones resistance isnt as good compared to PTFE.
From what i have read the ones we buy, silicone and EPDM, are treated in a way (cant find the technical term at this time) that they have a coating on them to make them impervious. Cut them and they get exposed. PFTE seems to be impervious from the resistance charts i have been looking at without a coating. PTFE is rigid but i have been looking at expanded PTFE which i have been told is excellent in contact with alcohols by the manufacturer.

This is just my thoughts on seals based on the last 2 or 3 weeks searching so take it or leave it.

Before you want something in the alcohols path or anything go check the chemical resistance charts from multiple sources, dont take our word for it, find it out for yourself.

from there decide what you want your seal made from based on what you determine satisfactory for you. This might not matter to you as much as someone else. If it was me i would only buy one made for the job like from FSD or a retailer for the seals your after that is made for the desired job.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Kenster » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:29 pm

Going out on a bit of a limb here but TYGON, is supposed to be a resistant tubing for our needs...
BUT, for a seal, like an emergency seal between a tri, what would be wrong with a piece of, yes, leather... not from a belt or coloured coat, but some natural sheepskin or hide.
The surface area would be insignificant, when it absorbed small traces of 'moisture' it would expand to fit better and surely the preservation process couldnt have that much bad stuff in it to be seriously dangerous...could it? Not sure but i would try it without hesitation.
I am braced for the barrage of nay sayers coming my way...
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Toddles » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:36 pm

I would prefer leather over teflon to be honest.

Even better if i tanned it myself. That way i know no arsenic or other chemicals have been used. Hell, slather it in bee's wax for all i care.
It's all natural. I would drink it in a heart beat.
Toddles
Site Donor

equipment: 30 ltr boiler
2" coil pc
3" 1 metre packed stainless for neutral -95.6% abv
3" 370mm unpacked for pot stilling -81% abv + 1/2 inch air cooled worm

Previous

Return to Distillers Warehouse