Hydrometer specifically for a wash intended for distilling

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Re: Hydrometer specifically for a wash intended for distilli

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Was the bigger heavier one more expensive?

Probably better quality.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Carbonator » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:34 pm

Sam. wrote:Was the bigger heavier one more expensive?

Probably better quality.

I honestly cant remember where I got the bigger one - too many years and beers ago (most probably the HB shop on the highway in Prospect NSW 199X, something) - but yes, the bigger, heavier one is the most accurate.
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Postby Kenster » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Carbonator, actually, the bottom (lighter) one is the accurate one.. as you read the value on the flat and not on the high part of the meniscus.
The bottom one has a meniscus which climbs up the tube a bit but the reading is taken below it...
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Kenster » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:43 pm

EDIT... suppose, with my glasses on, there is really not much in it between both... in the water standard.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Carbonator » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:33 pm

Kenster wrote:Carbonator, actually, the bottom (lighter) one is the accurate one.. as you read the value on the flat and not on the high part of the meniscus.
The bottom one has a meniscus which climbs up the tube a bit but the reading is taken below it...

I'm confused now - really shows how much I know, considering I never really used them, as in the past, I just went by when the bubbles stopped for a day. The bottom one (picture) is smaller and looks way older, but looks more professional. Saying that, I think it has a problem, as it leans to one side due to an air bubble on one side in the black stuff on the bottom holding the lead balls. It has been on it's side for years in a box in a sometime oven roasting tin shed and I think the black stuff has been effected by heat and gravity!
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:01 pm

You could call Winequip products 117-119 Sydney rd Coburg Vic 3058 ph 03,9383 4033,they have Baume hydrometers with three different sets of graduations.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby glenncol » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:08 am

Try to get a good one that goes to .980
glenncol

equipment: New to hoppy still researching

Previous

Return to Distillers Warehouse