xmas break kit and kilo beer suggestions

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Re: xmas break kit and kilo beer suggestions

Postby The Stig » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:37 pm

So here's a glass of the Fat Yak

And these are the ingredients, there's also a bag of Galaxy Hops in there
Just picked up my first keg of Wheat Stout from Redbay Brewery this arvo.
First impressions are good, nice thick creamy texture with mild coffee notes and good strong malty flavour.
Very enjoyable :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sorry "bout the piccy quality, iPhones really do suck
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:00 am

somewhere around this section I saw a recipe for a xmas drink it was a can of coopers something a can of malt and a few grams of hoops
can somebody point me to it please
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby kiwikeg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:03 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:A coopers pale ale kit with a brew enhancer 2 and a half a coopers light dry malt pack.

All can be had from most supermarkets. Then order some safale US05 and some Nelson Sauvin hops online or any brew shop.

Dissolve the malt and brew enhancer in hot water and chuck in about 20 grams of the Nelson hops (I prefer double that for a refreshing fruitiness)

Piss easy, keep it under 22° and let it clear for 2 weeks and then if you're feeling picky then rack it off the yeast to clear for another week before bottling and it will be crystal clear and taste like a Little Creatures Pale Ale. Fresh summer quaffing.

Do NOT use a heat belt at this time of year.

Okay I have done a few batches of this now, and every bottles been brilliant even when I have used a Coopers real ale kit by mistake.
But I was never one not to try to fix something that works fine.
I wonder if you beer guys could comment on this proposed variation.
Basis for this recipe is that I can get these kits at paknsave for half the price they are at the HBS

2x Coopers real ale kits
Safale US05
Nelson Sav Hops

Will this turn out similar or do I need that dry malt addition?
th.jpg
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby mattcoffs » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Do you enjoy a Coopers Pale Ale?

If so...

Buy a couple longies. Leave them upright in the fridge for a few days to let the yeast settle. Carefully pour the beer out (and drink) leaving the yeast. Add the yeast to some dextrose & 28C water (i usually aim for around 1.030 ish area in about a litre). Let them take off and leave for a 24-48 hrs.

Boil 20g Pride Of Ringwood hop pellets in around 3-5 litres water with 100g dextrose for 1 hr.
At flameout, add a can of cheap, white label Coopers Lager (yep, lager) & 1kg dextrose. You can add small amounts of LDM for a better mouthfeel and head, (but i've been playing with malt/dex mixes with this recipe for the last 150 litres or so - i found just dextrose to come out the closest clone)
Chuck it all in a fermenter and top up to 23l. Make sure it's under 30C (i usually pitch at 26C-28C) and pitch your yeast. You'd aim for a lower ferment temp, 18C-22C in my experience.

Age for a minimum 6 weeks after bottling and it'll be great! I've found with this recipe (possibly because of the lack of malt to hide behind) you really need to use pure un-chlorinated water, and use more yeast than less. Nobody likes banana flavoured CPA!

If ya make it, let me know what you thought. I've been working on this one for a good few seasons. :music-deathmetal:
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby choppy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:21 am

this is a knock off recipe for your standard pale ale such as Little Creatures.

1 can green label coopers pale ale
1.5kg light malt
30grams cascade hops steeped in hot water while you are dissolving the tin and malt in the fermenter
fill the fermenter up to 20L
throw in the stepped cascade hops, water and all
add 15 grams of chinook hops
fill the remaining 3 litres with either cold or hot water to end with 17 degrees
cast Safale 05 yeast

i like it hopper so i use a bit more hops
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Marbled » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:05 pm

The Stig wrote:So here's a glass of the Fat Yak

And these are the ingredients, there's also a bag of Galaxy Hops in there
Just picked up my first keg of Wheat Stout from Redbay Brewery this arvo.
First impressions are good, nice thick creamy texture with mild coffee notes and good strong malty flavour.
Very enjoyable :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sorry "bout the piccy quality, iPhones really do suck

Nice try, but you can't pull the wool over my eyes, any fool who can read can see that's really Guinness. Says so on the glass.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Postby The Stig » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:45 pm

My poor demented brother, if you could just stop your eyeballs from bouncing around you would see the amber colour
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby 1 2many » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:50 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:36 am

20141102_092108.jpg
Cleaning out the cupboards and yeast fridge and found these two orphans any recipe suggestions for a kit and kilo Bohemian lager?
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby choppy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:09 am

It probably depends on how you like your beer.

I'd go to the HBS and get 500gms of dextrose and 500gms of light malt.

While I'm there I'd get a tea bag of hallertau, chinook or cascade hops (depending on how much hop flavour you like, you can add more than one).

I've never used that yeast type, I generally stick to Safale or Wyeast. But if it has been stored cool, it should work well.

Try and keep the temp constant and at the low end of the yeast range and you'll have a nice beer.
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Previous

Return to Beer & Wine