Discussions about beer and wine making.

Re: Bad feeling about Beer brew I've just put down

Postby jord4231 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:58 pm

Cool thanks for the link will do :text-thankyoublue:
jord4231

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Guppy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:06 pm

US05 can be a slow bitch to get going and it sounds like yours is just starting out nicely. dont be stressed about using glad wrap, thats all Ive used for the past 35 brews. I dont sanitise it and Ive never had an infection problem.

Once your ferment takes off you will see the glad wrap balloon out. Dont worry about this just leave it to do its thing. I cold crash at 2C for about 4 days and my yeast cake settles like a brick on the bottom. I dont bother with a secondary
Guppy

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler and pot still.

Postby jord4231 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Sweet, its definitely on the right track now had a look tonight and its going well. Excited to hopefully make my first good beer
Spirit washes are just too easy in comparison
jord4231

Postby jord4231 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:53 am

Well today was kegging day, I have been very carful with cleaning and it looks like everything fermented out ok fermentation ended at 1.009
Then I Turned the temp controller down to 3C left it there from Friday morning to Sunday morning and kegged it the beer was nice and clear,
I force carbd it a little bit just enough to get some fizz to have a sample. Although the beer was already a little carbonated.
all I can say is I believe I've done every thing right and its still not really that great. I hope a few days in the keg in the kezer will sort it out.
It kind of smells and tastes like unrefrigerated open beer (I think)
jord4231

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Put down a coopers draught beer brew last week ,after reading http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/reta ... t_id=Books never done beer befor ,the book keeps it simple (for the beer kit brewer only ).only $10 bucks worth it ta me if it saves a brew or two.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby bt1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:45 am

Jord,

I've found a few weeks depending on beer style improves most beers as a general rule. I don't force carbonate due to costs and a preference for naturally carbonated bevies but reckon it will improve.(ie 2.6kg CO2 bottle will dispense 20 + 19lt kegs)

On the taste front the addition of some aromatic dry hop method can vastly improve even the most mundane lagers.

Hillz good on you for having a crack. There's whole world of BIAB simple AG beers a waiting over the horizon...enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edit: missed a bit

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby choppy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:09 am

If the beer is a bit flat (not fully carbonated) it may well taste like warm flat beer, because that is what it might be.

I agree with bt1, dry hop it to improve the flavour profile, gas it fully and let it rest for a few days and report back.
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby jord4231 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks guys will report back in a few weeks :)
jord4231

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:49 am

Did a coopers Lager the cheap $10 can with Brisbane tap water boiled and with tank water boiled the Brisbane tap water one had a harsh flavor the tank water is a big improvement.Has coopers changed there ale yeast used 2 packets 18 Celsius and finished in a couple of days.
wynnum1

Previous

Return to Beer & Wine