Alcoholic ginger beer.

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Re: Alcoholic ginger beer.

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:18 am

Old recipe i have has cream of tartar ginger and lemon no nutrient and you brew for only 2 days then bottle drink after 3 days may be creating a stuck ferment plastic bottles or keg probably safe glass could be booms.
wynnum1

Postby bluc » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:30 pm

Sam. wrote:I would t use bakers yeast for ginger beer :puke-huge:

You can keep your fermenter cool using wet towels and a fan of putting it in a bath with a couple of frozen drink bottles etc

As for the non alcoholic ginger beer I believe there it only enough sugar to carbonate it, there will still be an alcohol content but it will be minimal such as under 0.5% :-B

Think you were right bout bakers yeast. Tastes like a horrible cheap nasty ginger wine crossed with oxidized home brewed beer. Will give it a few weeks under co2 pressure and see if carbonation helps it :handgestures-thumbdown: :puke-huge:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:49 am

Think i spoke to soon gonger berr has changed a lot with some time with co2 think it will end up fine...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Whakianga-mai » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:29 pm

bluc wrote:Ok as long as it tastes good. I bought one of the tap a draft systems it has 6l pet bottles so 4 bottles to a brew and they are plastic so no flying glass. Will use bakers then post back.

The Old man made it in Currumbin in the early 70's. (Ginger Beer plant)

we were not game to go down into the garage for 2 months as a glass bottle could just explode at any time. pet bottles are the go.

That said I had one the other day oin a pet bottle from the pub 8% forget the name, but very nice.
Whakianga-mai

equipment: Old super reflux from stillmasters nz/ Marble, yeh have to build something better

Postby bluc » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:33 pm

Been looking into growing the plant and intend using that method on my next brew :handgestures-thumbupleft: My sister used to make it years ago and I remember bottles almost emptying themselves when opened :D
bluc
Site Donor

Postby P1ratepat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:13 am

When I made ginger beer a few years ago now, (only from the can) the only correlation I could make between non alcoholic and alcoholic ginger beer was the amount of time it sat in the fermenter, i believe it said only ferment for a few hours for non alcoholic and about a week for alcoholic, not sure how that works with the yeast??
P1ratepat

equipment: T500 reflux

Postby Minpac » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:12 am

I used to make it when i was a teenager - didn't use any bought yeast, used to make a starter using ginger and either raisins or sultanas and a small amount of sugar. Left that for a week or two, then made the ginger beer in bottles. Used to only half fill them to prevent breakage. (didn't always work).

I'll see if I can dig up a recipe, but it was a long time ago.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Dig Brinker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm

3 posts below this one... ginger beer from a ginger bug
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Bobsyauncle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:51 pm

bluc wrote:Think i spoke to soon ginger beer has changed a lot with some time with co2 think it will end up fine...

Had the same dilemma few years ago. Had the first bottle and was horrified so they went to the back of the shed n found them half a yr later, best alcoholic ginger beer ive had. 8-}
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Postby EziTasting » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:54 pm

bluc wrote:Been looking into growing the plant and intend using that method on my next brew :handgestures-thumbupleft: My sister used to make it years ago and I remember bottles almost emptying themselves when opened :D

I had some Ginger roo ends that looked unappealing so I planted them in old horse-poo, a month ago. 2 have survived and are putting out shoots.

Apparently they like it warm (well, got plenty of that) and good watering, but not wet... My reading also suggest that they'll be ready in 6 months... but their plants had much much taller shoots than mine are currently! We see what happens.

I like the Ginger bug Ginger beer, so eitherway, I'll enjoy it.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby jomo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 am

My wife and I did a basic ginger beer using a Wal's kit from Country Brewer for xmas last year and it was a massive hit!

We did a large batch in a 60L fermenting vessel...
- 3x Wal's ginger beer kit
- 1x Wal's ginger booster
- 3.5kg dextrose
- 1kg raw sugar
- 2x Jalapeno from our garden quartered along the length
- 5cm peeled and sliced ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks

Came out just shy of 10% ABV and tasted amazing - beautiful ginger/jalapeno heat on the lips and left you on your ass after a few of them!
jomo

equipment: None yet

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Did you bottle it or keg it? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby jomo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:44 pm

bluc wrote:Did you bottle it or keg it? :handgestures-thumbupleft:

We actually did this brew twice (both 60L brews) as we wanted to have plenty of xmas gifts for friends and family. We took a keg off the first batch and the rest ended up in bottles -- longest bottling day of my life! :D

As above with a few other posters - we enjoyed it on the keg but the bottled ones were terrible for the first try... thought we'd wasted a couple of good brew kits! Gave them a few weeks and they turned into absolute gold!

Chipped a couple of them to our sparky a few weeks ago and he loved them so much he wants to buy some off us, so might be time for another big brew soon! Unfortunately have no bottles left but am certainly craving that spice again!
jomo

Postby woodduck » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:18 pm

I hope your not thinking of selling alcohol be it beer or spirits. It's illegal and definitely not something we agree with here at Aussie distillers. Nothing wrong with sharing a beer with a mate but selling is a no go :naughty:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:45 pm

woodduck wrote:I hope your not thinking of selling alcohol be it beer or spirits. It's illegal and definitely not something we agree with here at Aussie distillers. Nothing wrong with sharing a beer with a mate but selling is a no go :naughty:

:text-+1: do not sell any type of alcohol that you make, unless it commercial, be it spirits or otherwise, this is a good way to get the attention of boys in blue and is certainly a sure fire way to be removed from this forum.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby jomo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:09 am

Absolutely not - luckily out here the barter economy is alive and well, sparky skills for brewing is always a good trade as long as the beers come after the work! :laughing-rolling:
jomo

Postby woodduck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:53 pm

At risk of sounding like the fun police here, you really shouldn't barter with alcohol either. It is classed as selling to a degree. Hey if your mate want's to come over and help you out and you have a few drinks with him after the job is done, bloody good but swapping alcohol for goods and services is something you should distance yourself from.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby jomo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:00 pm

woodduck wrote:At risk of sounding like the fun police here, you really shouldn't barter with alcohol either. It is classed as selling to a degree. Hey if your mate want's to come over and help you out and you have a few drinks with him after the job is done, bloody good but swapping alcohol for goods and services is something you should distance yourself from.

Understood and not a problem.
jomo

Postby EziTasting » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:41 pm

You looking at distilling this or drinking it as a G-Beer?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Mavid » Tue May 19, 2020 1:46 pm

Hi team. I’m doing a sachet brew of Mangrove Jack’s alcoholic ginger beer (I’ve had their ciders and they’re pretty much foolproof) but just before bottle and carbonation the SG is way too high. I gave it a gentle stir, I warmed it up a little but the SG still sits at 1.025 with a supposed target of 1.005.
Any suggestions?
I did use liquid malt extract instead of dextrose to start with.
(I actually got in contact with mangrove jacks and their response was “warm it up or lower the SG” thanks captain obvious!
Mavid

equipment: Essencia reflux still 25L

PreviousNext

Return to Beer & Wine