Beer from Food Scraps

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Beer from Food Scraps

Postby Woodsy71 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:02 am

This is an interesting read. It's certainly a novel approach to a saturated Craft Beer market

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-16/b ... er/7930492

The ABC has the story on it's Landline show today at 12 noon
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Re: Beer from Food Scraps

Postby Carbonator » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:47 am

Woolworths is already onto the ugly produce thing, so there is corporate competition. Suppliers to Ww's are starting to see the "Value Add" benefits and are already chopping-up the uglies into small convenience packs for the yuppies that like to run into the store at 20:30 and snatch pre chopped stuff for the family dinner that live on their new highly mortgaged rural subdivision that is like chicken coup on a 350 sqM block.

I have been giving a lot of thought to food waste recently. It is a fecking huge "thing" that a lot of us simply don't know about, or can even begin to understand! If Eth can be made from it - why not?
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:24 am

Woodsy71 wrote:This is an interesting read. It's certainly a novel approach to a saturated Craft Beer market

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-16/b ... er/7930492

The ABC has the story on it's Landline show today at 12 noon

Some of the craft beer I have tasted I recon was made from road kill or what comes from the garbage tip :))
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby aussiebrewer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:57 am

Carbonator wrote:Woolworths is already onto the ugly produce thing, so there is corporate competition. Suppliers to Ww's are starting to see the "Value Add" benefits and are already chopping-up the uglies into small convenience packs for the yuppies that like to run into the store at 20:30 and snatch pre chopped stuff for the family dinner that live on their new highly mortgaged rural subdivision that is like chicken coup on a 350 sqM block.

I have been giving a lot of thought to food waste recently. It is a fecking huge "thing" that a lot of us simply don't know about, or can even begin to understand! If Eth can be made from it - why not?

for starters, lol
the ugly fruit thing has been around for a while, i used to use it when i was near a fruit and veg place that did it, why not if it is just as good but has a sun spot on it.

and secondly a lot can be fermented for vodka, just make sure the cuts are right. im not sure what the difference between fruits and vegetables are but some like grapes may contain more pectin so make cuts accordingly. but if there is some pumpkin or something going to waste, let the yeast use it for nutrients and throw some sugar in for a neutral, i have no idea on starch content of things like pumkin but im sure there would be an all grain/vege/fruit way to convert?
aussiebrewer

equipment: pot still on a 50l keg

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:14 am

Last time looked at Woolworths ugly vegetables they where small potatoes and cost more then the good size potatoes because the good ones where on special .
wynnum1

Postby aussiebrewer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:20 am

i went to charlies fruit online, they have a fruit market shop in Everton Park open 24/7 and they deliver online also. they have ugly fruit there also for a good price.
aussiebrewer

Postby coffe addict » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Can't say I know what wollies waste prices are like but I have been making cider with apples from the local fruit and veg shop.
At under 50c a kg I have been going a bit crazy and have about 70L so far :obscene-drinkingdrunk:. Sure hope the price goes up soon I'm so sick of juicing apples!

They aren't waste apples but can't see the chain mobs matching the price I've been getting :happy-partydance:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby aussiebrewer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:46 pm

where in brissy area do you get your fruit cheap coffee addict?
aussiebrewer

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:19 pm

coffe addict wrote:At under 50c a kg I have been going a bit crazy and have about 70L so far :obscene-drinkingdrunk:. Sure hope the price goes up soon I'm so sick of juicing apples!

:laughing-rolling: you could just stop buying them :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby coffe addict » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:00 am

Haha doubleuj clearly I have issues and have accumulated this amount over six weeks I jus can't walk past cider at approximately 70c per litre :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Return to Beer & Wine