Stopping lemonade ferment

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Re: Stopping lemonade ferment

Postby Sam. » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:18 pm

db1979 wrote:
Sam. wrote:I don't think the heating would be an issue if you could manage to do it without aerating it too much, but the more vessels you use after fermentation the more likely you are to get an infection.

Heating will cause less gas to be dissolved, so any CO2 that is dissolved will come out. No problem since you're carbonating with gas anyway. So no issue with over aerating since the opposite will happen.

If you used a different yeast then it's pretty much the same as making ginger beer isn't it? Ferment until the right level of sweetness and then refrigerate and you're done. I've never done it before though.

The aeration was more about the transfer of vessels :-B

I don't think I will be going down the heating path...
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Sam. » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:20 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
Azza76 wrote:
copperhead road wrote:Sorry for being a dumb newbie but is this thread about "alcoholic lemonade" :think:
I'm sure it is but thought no harm in asking in case in wrong. Heard of alcoholic ginger beer but never lemonade

Me either mate your not alone lol

Check the bottle shop Guys, of course you can get Hard Lemonade. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yep, it aint for the kids, most of out lemonade in the past is over the 5% mark and natural apple cider can bump 7.5% :scared-eek:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Can you cultivate yeat off lemons like when making a ginger bug? Might be a way to get lower proof..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:17 pm

wild yeast isn't my thing :puke-huge:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby mudsta » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:50 pm

I find filtration to be the best for stopping cider or other ferments. Two corny kegs plumbed together with a cartridge filter in between. The liquid is then pushed through using Co2 pressure.
I find 0.5 - 1 micron yields brilliant clarity results and doesn't effect flavor! 0.2 micron is sterile but unnecessary I have found.

Cheers,
Mud :D
mudsta
Site Donor

equipment: 18 Gallon boiler- 2 x 2400W elements, VC, 5 star neutralizer

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:16 pm

mudsta wrote:I find filtration to be the best for stopping cider or other ferments. Two corny kegs plumbed together with a cartridge filter in between. The liquid is then pushed through using Co2 pressure.
I find 0.5 - 1 micron yields brilliant clarity results and doesn't effect flavor! 0.2 micron is sterile but unnecessary I have found.

Cheers,
Mud :D

You know I don't have that here ;-)

I did close to what I did last time, I'm almost surprised no-one has thought of it :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Plumby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Bottle and refrigerate, drink when thirsty?
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Plumby wrote:Bottle and refrigerate, drink when thirsty?

It's kegged, bottling would be a nightmare to carbonate when you stop the ferment short ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Plumby » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Sam. wrote:
Plumby wrote:Bottle and refrigerate, drink when thirsty?

It's kegged, bottling would be a nightmare to carbonate when you stop the ferment short ;-)

Yes I did this with home made stout ( of all things ) read my hydrometer wrong probably because I was 3/4 full of idiot juice at the time :laughing-rolling: bottled it up and put it in the laundry cupboard.
Well 3 weeks later I come home from work to find the laundry floor covered in sticky black liquid. Yep 23 glass tallies had exploded luckily I cleaned it up b4 the missus got home, I never told her because I knew I would get these ones for days :violence-smack: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :violence-smack: :violence-smack:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Teddysad » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:02 pm

Standard method is to use Potassium sorbate when it is at the required gravity ie not fermented dry.
That stops the yeast devouring any remaining sugars and retains a sweetness
Last edited by Teddysad on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Teddysad wrote:Standard method is to use Potassium sorbate when it is at the required gravity ie not fermented dry.
That stops the yeast devouring any remaining sugars and retains a sweetness

At what rate would this need to be added to stop an active ferment? And does it leave a residual taste?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Teddysad » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:34 pm

1/2 a teaspoon per 5 litres is plenty and no, no taste residue
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:31 pm

I will give it a try next time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Previous

Return to Beer & Wine