Is this normal?

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Is this normal?

Postby Kimbo » Wed May 16, 2012 10:20 pm

the top pic is of my Beez Neez clone, looks pretty normal.
the bottom pic is of my Becks clone, you can see the yeast on top of the hops bag and it all looks pretty funky.
Is this a horrible infection or will it settle to the bottom and be fine?

2012-05-16 20.12.19.jpg

2012-05-16 20.11.29.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Re: Is this normal?

Postby Sam. » Wed May 16, 2012 10:30 pm

I would say its just some of the hop residue escaping the bag and making it look worse than it is. Usually if its fucked it will look a lot worse than that.

What sort of hops did you use pellet, flower, plug etc?

I would just let it go and when the ferment is complete pull the bag out and let the rest of the shit settle down, then bottle/keg. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Wed May 16, 2012 10:41 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:What sort of hops did you use pellet, flower, plug etc?

Cheers for that,
the hops was in a big Teabag, I've never done one of these before(with the hops that is)so i was getting worried coz the other has a hops bag in it also, they both smell o.k. tho.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Wed May 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Have you actually tasted Becks pretty funky and horrid yep I'd say all systems normal :handgestures-thumbupleft: . My Granny is of Prussian decent and loves most things Germanic , she called Becks fuchs gift eng. fox poison
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby cdbrown » Thu May 17, 2012 9:36 am

They both look nice and healthy to me. You should see the black IPA I have brewing, the top is a cake of hop debris which I hope has settled before kegging.

Next time get rid of the tea bag and buy the hops in a 90g pack saving some money.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby maheel » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 am

yeah i just throw the hop pellets in loose when dryhopping

you could have also tied a stainless spoon or something to the hop bag to sink it

if your worried, when you take a SG / FG sample taste it to see what you reckon
maheel

Postby Kimbo » Thu May 17, 2012 10:52 am

maheel wrote:yeah i just throw the hop pellets in loose when dryhopping

you could have also tied a stainless spoon or something to the hop bag to sink it

if your worried, when you take a SG / FG sample taste it to see what you reckon

Thanks Fellas,
cant remember what the SG was (1020 i think), its at 1012 now, FG supposed to be 1010 ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Is this normal?

Postby Sam. » Thu May 17, 2012 11:24 am

Is that a typo? 1020 sg will be a fairly weak beer
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby cdbrown » Thu May 17, 2012 11:35 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Is that a typo? 1020 sg will be a fairly weak beer

Only if the SG and OG are the same. SG could have been taken 5 days into the ferment and nearly done.

Smell and taste of a sample is the best way to tell if there's an infection.

1.012 - let it warm a little for a couple more days to help the yeasties clean up.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot

Postby Kimbo » Thu May 17, 2012 12:25 pm

cdbrown wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:Is that a typo? 1020 sg will be a fairly weak beer

Only if the SG and OG are the same. SG could have been taken 5 days into the ferment and nearly done.

Smell and taste of a sample is the best way to tell if there's an infection.

1.012 - let it warm a little for a couple more days to help the yeasties clean up.

Dunno, i cant really remember, maybe it was 1040??
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Thu May 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Glad none of my washes look like that :ymsick:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby cdbrown » Thu May 17, 2012 5:07 pm

1.040 to 1010 is only 4% which when I was doing kits seemed about right despite what the instructions said it would be.

That foam (krausen) on top shows good healthy reproduction and growth of normal ale yeast. I was extremely suprised and a bit worried when I didn't see anything sitting on the top of the wash. Effervescent bubbling is not what I'm used to.
cdbrown

McStill Copper Parrot

Postby Frank » Thu May 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Hey Kimbo
+1 re the taste and smell it advice......at the end of the day (and a bit of practice) you'll know then if it is going ok :handgestures-thumbupleft:
(although the open ferment Belgian type 'beers' for example often smell like its all gone wrong)
Frank

Postby crow » Thu May 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Frank wrote: (although the open ferment Belgian type 'beers' for example often smell like its all gone wrong)

True but the best I ever made was in open ferments and very often faster . I guess with these i was very aware of the need for sanity and sterilization but I never once had an infection and I can't make that claim for my sealed ferments. I had a coopers dark ale done in a ss crab cooker brew out in just over 2 days , bottled on the 3rd day and it was the best kit beer by far I ever made . Hey you fella's doing beer I have an old leather recipe book at home with some really nice old German beer recipes in it if ppl are interested I can look for it next time I'm home : results I got were incontinent sometime fantastic sometimes iffy but I was a bit rough back in the days of copper wash troughs and mums old stockings
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Thu May 17, 2012 6:56 pm

croweater wrote:results I got were incontinent

:o Bugger that Im staying away from it then.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Thu May 17, 2012 7:10 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: No i don't piss in it I'm barely literate and spellchecker shafts me at every turn :teasing-tease: "inconsistent" just see how much editing is on most of my posts :roll:
crow

Postby Kimbo » Thu May 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Cheers Fellas,
I'll report back after i've tasted it ;-)
Oh! i forgot to ask, those of you who bottle, do you bulk prime? if so , how much dex?
or do you use the drops?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Thu May 17, 2012 9:37 pm

I use a little funnel and sugar with one of those (hate to say it) measures from the home brew shop, heaps cheaper fucking easier as well, if your going to bulk prime you need to transfer to another vessel which just increases the chance of infection/oxygenation then you got more shit to clean. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Yip, got me one of them lil scoops ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 pm

I assume the scoops are based on sugar? I have always used "castor sugar" which I have since found out is just finely crushed plain white sugar (sucrose).

I actually bottled a couple after kegging tonight with dex so I deliberately put a little more in. See how it turns out but I will say it is easier just to use sugar as it flows better in and out of the scoop and through the funnel, with the dex had to work for it, would have shit me off to bottle a whole batch using it.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Next

Return to Beer & Wine