Ginger Beer

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Ginger Beer

Postby Kimbo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi Guys,
I've just bottled my third Batch and i think i'm on a winner :D
This batch Yeilds 24 Stubbies.@ 5.7% ABV

INGREDIENTS:
1 X can of Coopers Ginger beer ($9 Big W)
1Kg Raw Sugar
1x Small piece Ginger
500g Honey

[color=#0040FF]No Need to use finings as GB is naturally cloudy,
after bottling with carbonation drops (or sugar) leave them in a cupboard for at least 3 weeks, chill and drink.

Although the directions on the can dont mention the extra ginger or the honey, I add these because i like my GB with a little more bite,
and the Honey masks the after taste that you sometimes get from the artificial sweeteners they use to flavour the concentrate.
This recipe to me is the closest thing i've found to the store bought Bundaberg GB.
I'm always keen to hear other ideas and maybe someday I"ll do a spiced GB.
I wouldn't mind making some Dark and stormy's with McStill's Rum recipe :lol:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Re: Ginger Beer

Postby QLD.Andy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks for sharing, sounds like an easy recipe.
Might have to try this.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:36 am

I love ginger beer and tried to make it once, well it was a complete failure and tasted like goats piss so gave up, just stuck to buying the Stones ginger beer from the bottlo.

But this sounds pretty good so I reckon I'll give it a go, it might help me keep my rum stock aging if I can have something else to sip on at 4 in the arvo :oops: :oops:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby maheel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:10 am

I like Gbeer yummy :)

i did a couple of Morgan's brand recently. 1 alc 1 alc free (soft drink). They came up good, one i threw in some crystallized (sugar coated) ginger to give it a but more twang.
But it can be very "muddy" and some say they think it has a "dirt" taste. If you leave it in the fridge a few days it clears a bit if you be careful pouring it.

i used to make heaps when i was 18, and we would all get pissed on it and head out to the clubs
maheel

Postby rumby » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Kimbo,

I find the ginger beer kills the rum taste,I really like GB, but wont mix it with any spirits that I like the taste of.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Here's my favourite which is the Right Thing after a hot afternoon mowing session at least...(for the starter plant) Put all the following in demijohn and leave in cool dark place for 2 days....2 cups of 'decent' water :oops:, 8 sultanas or raisins, 1 tspn lemon PULP, juice of 2or 3 good size lemons, 4 tspns raw sugar (or suitable substitiute), 4 tspns ground ginger (or, preferably, 2 tspns freshly grated ginger). After 2 days, and every day for a week, add 4 tspns raw sugar (or suitable alternative) and 2 tspns ground ginger (again, I'd suggest try to add 0.5 or 1 tspn fresh). Then, assuming its alcoholic GB we're interested in here :D, filter cloth strain (or similar) the demijohn wash ingredients into 7 litres of neutral spirit mixed down with good water to ,say, 5%ABV. Stir and bottle, BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF YOU USE GLASS BOTTLES WITH CAPPED SEALS*! Leave it alone for a week or so and try on a hot day. BTW, the 'starter plant' gets much better over batches if you keep it 'alive'. To do so, grab about half the residue form the filter cloth strain (or similar), and put back in clean demijohn with 2 cups water, 1 tspn lemon PULP, 4 tspns raw sugar (or suitable alternative) and 2 tspns ground ginger (or else :) and start again....FOOTNOTE: * In the subtropics, I prefer to keep the ABV way down low and therefore also the risk of BANG :o bottles, and enjoy the taste anyway. My grandparents used to use bottles stored upright with a cork in them and a string attached to the cork 8-) .
Frank

Postby rumby » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:51 pm

I am drinking the colony west ginger beer at the moment, a did a 46l ferment and only put 1 kg of raw sugar, does everyone roughly know what ABV this well be, my misssus wanted me to make a non-alcoholic GB. I was working on the theory that I would normally use 4kg of a sugar base for two tins of colony west, so its hould be one qauarter of the normal ABV

The last one I made (morgans) it was way to sweet for me, this time its heaps better.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby hubs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:48 pm

I recently made a non alc Coopers GB and it`s doesn`t taste like what I remember. Taste like dirt, but may improve over time. Has been 6 weeks now. Might try a Brigalows GB next time round, but I`ll make it alcoholic.
hubs

Ginger Beer

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:18 pm

hubs wrote:I recently made a non alc Coopers GB and it`s doesn`t taste like what I remember. Taste like dirt, but may improve over time. Has been 6 weeks now. Might try a Brigalows GB next time round, but I`ll make it alcoholic.

AHHHHHH! No do NOT try a brigalows.

I started home brewing in the early 1990s and that stuff is artificial tasting chemical rubbish. Morgan's is great but so is Cooper's.

Tell me how you brewed and what your process was, as the Coopers is pretty damned reliable.

Happy to advise as it should NOT taste like dirt.

Brigalows is like home brand compared to top shelf. Don't use it. I wouldn't rinse my fermenter in their product for fear of tainting it forever.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby hubs » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:06 pm

I followed the directions on the side of the can ByB. Some thing along the lines of stirring in the contents of can, sprinkle yeast on top and wait 2 to 3 hours. Prime bottles with Raw Sugar, fill and cap. Wait for 3 weeks. But I`m finding Coopers Lager a bit bitter also and I am sterilising every thing. I went to Tooheys Lager and Brigalows Munich Lager and not a problem. May be it`s me and my taste has changed over the years ByB.
hubs

Ginger Beer

Postby Sam. » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Problem is it doesn't have alcohol in it.....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hubs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:17 am

Brewed or added in later? :)) I was wondering if that was the case or not. Might go well with a dash of Rum in it.
hubs

Postby Sam. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 pm

hubs wrote:Brewed or added in later? :)) I was wondering if that was the case or not. Might go well with a dash of Rum in it.

I have mainly done the coopers brew (always alcoholic) and it is is good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Tried another brand once and it was :puke-huge: cant remember which one tho, was a while ago :think:

On the topic of ginger beer anyone else tried this?

http://rogley8.com/2012/05/05/ol-bluey-ginger-beer/

A mate left a couple in my fridge and they are utter shit :handgestures-thumbdown:

Read the ingredients and its some sort of fruit wine with synthetic flavouring :scared-eek:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hubs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:36 pm

The last GB I brewed had a similar taste and that was Coopers. That was 6 years back. My tastes must be changing. I`m not a big drinker, but I didn`t mind the odd Ouzo occasionally, but now I`m finding that I`m thinking twice a bout it.
hubs

Postby Listo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:53 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
hubs wrote:I recently made a non alc Coopers GB and it`s doesn`t taste like what I remember. Taste like dirt, but may improve over time. Has been 6 weeks now. Might try a Brigalows GB next time round, but I`ll make it alcoholic.

AHHHHHH! No do NOT try a brigalows.

I started home brewing in the early 1990s and that stuff is artificial tasting chemical rubbish. Morgan's is great but so is Cooper's.

Tell me how you brewed and what your process was, as the Coopers is pretty damned reliable.

Happy to advise as it should NOT taste like dirt.

Brigalows is like home brand compared to top shelf. Don't use it. I wouldn't rinse my fermenter in their product for fear of tainting it forever.

That's a bit of unfortunate for me... I've just bought 2 cans of Brigalow hoping to make a nice non alcoholic drop for when I'm on call. Given I can't get any ginger beer at all out here, I may as well have a go at it anyway... At least the kids will drink it if I don't
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Postby Marbled » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:36 am

SWMBO likes a ginger beer with citrus vodka added..... She swills it by the pint, after much mucking about and way too many failures we now get the 75c a bottle stuff from the supermarket and you can probably guess the source of the vodka.

Result.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Return to Beer & Wine