xmas break kit and kilo beer suggestions

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:49 am

Hi beer brewers, I want to try brewing beer again, My aim is a nice beer to drink at Xmas.
I have no brew fridge but do have heat pads if needed.
Days are about 18-20c dropping at night 10-11c
Any suggestions on a failsafe brew kit that will be nice on a hot summers day camped at beach.
Edit I like lion red, Kilkenny, asashi, sol,haagen, Becks, tuborg.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby wedwards » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:51 pm

I usually brew an "Aussie ale" for drinking in summer. It's what I call light beer (5%) and a good session beast - light on the malt and just a little hops - basically people who don't like real beer love this stuff. The recipe I have is all grain but I can work out a conversion to extract for you if interested.

For something a little more substantial a golden ale is also good on a hot day
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:49 pm

A coopers pale ale kit with a brew enhancer 2 and a half a coopers light dry malt pack.

All can be had from most supermarkets. Then order some safale US05 and some Nelson Sauvin hops online or any brew shop.

Dissolve the malt and brew enhancer in hot water and chuck in about 20 grams of the Nelson hops (I prefer double that for a refreshing fruitiness)

Piss easy, keep it under 22° and let it clear for 2 weeks and then if you're feeling picky then rack it off the yeast to clear for another week before bottling and it will be crystal clear and taste like a Little Creatures Pale Ale. Fresh summer quaffing.

Do NOT use a heat belt at this time of year.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: xmas break kit and kilo beer suggestions

Postby kiwikeg » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:14 am

Thanks for the replys guys, I think Byb's recipe sounds like the go. :handgestures-thumbupleft: cheers
kiwikeg

Postby Maxttt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:44 am

Sounds like you want a faux lager. I would look at a Canadian blonde kit with some Saaz or hallertau hops for flavour.Use dextrose if you want, but the most important thing Is fermenting and using a better yeast . Have a look here for info:
http://homebrewsuperkits.com/fermenting/
Maxttt

equipment: Pot still, keg on gas.

Postby bt1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:22 am

Howdy,

Best this year by a long walk is the Coopers Euro Lager kit. Just added some short boiled Saaz for 4 mins not for bittering but aroma boost. Std ingredients used and volumes.
It'd a great beer, finnings used, filtered at 4%. Good clear style, body and head retention. Carb'd to 2.6 volumes after cold crashing. it's subtle enough to influenced by small hop additions and lacks that "dead homebrew feel" some kits have.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Okay put down BYBs recipe all good there, just one question BYB is the 20g of hops pellets or cones? I could only get pellets.
Just waiting for it to cool so I can pitch the yeast.
kiwikeg

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:06 pm

kiwikeg wrote:Okay put down BYBs recipe all good there, just one question BYB is the 20g of hops pellets or cones? I could only get pellets.
Just waiting for it to cool so I can pitch the yeast.

Pellets is fine mate. You could add another 10grams steeped in boiling water for 4mins as part of your priming sugar if you want to beef up that stone fruit flavour people associate with Fat Yak or little creatures.

I'm assuming you bulk prime? If you do consider a quick "hop tea" steep as above - just don't leave it too lang as it will bitter it, this addition isn't rally just an aroma hop addition.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:48 pm

Oops, chucked hops straight into the wash...
No I havent tried bulk priming I have only used carbi drops with mixed results, for bulk priming do you use dextrose or sugar?
kiwikeg

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:02 pm

kiwikeg wrote:Oops, chucked hops straight into the wash...
No I havent tried bulk priming I have only used carbi drops with mixed results, for bulk priming do you use dextrose or sugar?

Straight into the wash no boiling? Good! That's called dry hopping and it's what you want here.

I bulk prime with cane sugar. About 160grams dissolved in boiling water for a few minutes does about 22-25L.

Google "Aussie home brewer bulk priming calculator" for a very useful calculator. Bulk priming is the only way to go.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby aliced » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:56 pm

Use a couple of wheat beer kits and a kilo in 30 odd fermenter mate, let it settle (finish) then rack it and leave it for another two weeks in the cold, rack it into the bottling vessel bulk prime it and leave it for three weeks.

I haven't had a failure with this ever, and I brew a fair bit :)
aliced

Postby greenguy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:46 pm

8-}
I want to make beer now hmmm i have no idea but this is making me hungry to try this
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby bt1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:46 am

Howdy,

if you like mass swill type commercial beers, clear lower taste very drinkable lagers, house mate does a std. Coopers Lager, then short boiled 20mins Cluster hops 17gm added end of fermentation bout the same time you drop your gelatine/finnings in. Bulk primed keg, 2 weeks to settle...not a bad drop actually.

imho it could do with 100gm maltindextrin to aid head retention more for looks than anything...a clear white head line clinging to a emptying glass is a nice look.

On the Coopers Euro Lager due to current ambient temps swapped lager yeast over for my std. distilling yeast EC1118. Finishes dryer low 1002 -1.000 and under 4% so lower calories in total so you can belt a few down with no concerns on the diet front. Used cooper std. Brew enhancer 2 recipe, Changes to std kit where Saaz short boil 10gm 20mins, Hallertau short boil 10gm 10mins.
Little change to taste and very good mouth feel, just has that hop aroma is about it.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Smbjk » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:05 am

wedwards wrote:I usually brew an "Aussie ale" for drinking in summer. It's what I call light beer (5%) and a good session beast - light on the malt and just a little hops - basically people who don't like real beer love this stuff. The recipe I have is all grain but I can work out a conversion to extract for you if interested.

For something a little more substantial a golden ale is also good on a hot day

Hi wedwards. What's your allgrain recipe for the aussie ale sounds like a beer I'd like to make :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby wedwards » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:42 am

Travelling at the moment but if u pm me I will add it to the beer section when I can
wedwards

Postby The Stig » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:18 am

Im currently drinking a Fat Yak clone I made a couple of weeks ago.
Not too shabby, easy to make :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:30 am

greenguy wrote:8-}
I want to make beer now hmmm i have no idea but this is making me hungry to try this

Try BYBs recipe that I did, easy as, BrewersCoop in Penrose has all the ingredients. I think it was $40 or so bucks for the whole lot, they don't have the coopers light dry malt, but have a coppertun light dme the same (code 050 I think?)
I bottled it last weekend and it was cloudy as f*ck, after a week in the bottle I tried a test bottle today and its excellent, clear fizzy refreshing with great potential once its had more bottle conditioning.
First mouthful is super hoppy but then its just refreshing. The taste reminded me of stealing big bots of my dads doublebitter and drinking them in the treehut as a kid.

I am gonna put down another batch next weekend.

Great simple recipe BYB. Thanks for sharing it.

edit I know a taste test after a week in the bottle is a crime, but I now am sure that in December/January with due care and time in the bottle that beer is going to taste good.
kiwikeg

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:31 am

The Stig wrote:Im currently drinking a Fat Yak clone I made a couple of weeks ago.
Not too shabby, easy to make :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Recipe please Stig?
kiwikeg

Postby The Stig » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:38 pm

I dunno :laughing-rolling:
I was in the HBS and seen the bagged kit, just a tin of something and a bag of something and teabag of galaxy hops.
I'll find out next time im in there.
Ive decided I'm going to stop making my own beer, these guys: http://www.redbaybrewery.com.au do a great job from what Ive tasted so far and its only $20 dearer per keg than doing it myself.
So non of the hassle and all the benefits, drop off money and kegs, 2 or 3 weeks later they ring and say come get it :laughing-rolling:
If I dont have room they store it for me.
Win win.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby wedwards » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:42 pm

That's an awesome deal and no effort required
wedwards

Next

Return to Beer & Wine