Wine for brandy

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Wine for brandy

Postby Potmash Boka » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:15 pm

One for the Guru's. I have access to 20L of sweet red wine( blend of Shiraz, Grenache and something else) was thinking of getting some for brandy type experiment. What's people's thoughts?
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Re: Wine for brandy

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Worth a shot mate, worst case scenario you turn it into neutral?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:10 am

Go for it mate, it will be a success.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby the Doctor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Yes mate that will work through a pot still twice or strip in a pot then two plates if you like a light style.
Cheers
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby RefluxEd » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:17 pm

A mate and I were lucky enough to get a container load of unlabelled 2004 Pinot Gris that was too old to sell and was going to be dumped at the tip.
We learnt very quickly how to empty a bottle super fast, give it a wiggle to get a vortex happening inside the bottle. The replacing air has a pathway up the centre of the vortex, the bottle is empty in a few seconds. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
But I digress. We used our pot stills, doing fast stripping runs down to 20%. We then diluted the stripped wine back to 40% and put it through my reflux still using a 500mm packed section and 2 bubbleplates. We made sure that there were no foreshots or nasties coming through before commencing each product run. It was done a little faster than normal to get some flavour to come through.
The result was excellent, providing a clean brandy base. We experimented with American and French oak dominoes and found the American was just too much "in your face" with over strong vanilla tones. It makes a great cooking brandy though.
The French oak is a clear winner for brandy. In 2 litre flagons we used 3-4 dominoes. After 2 weeks at 65% we had a beautifully oaked brandy that would put nearly any cognac to shame.
We haven't finished processing yet, but a couple of 200 litre French oak barrels that held merlot will be the repository for the remainder.
As long as the wine is reasonably good, you can make a great brandy. :)
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby Potmash Boka » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Cheers guys, will be getting 100L then. Run it twice through the pot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:11 pm

100L of red wine :scared-eek:

You have a very good friend :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby 1 2many » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Some very generous hobbits. :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Potmash Boka » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:23 am

CaptainRedBeard wrote:100L of red wine :scared-eek:

You have a very good friend :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have to pay for it, $18 per 20L drum. And give my mate a gift.
Potmash Boka

Postby RefluxEd » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:33 am

Wow, had a phone call from a mate, he's been doing some work at a vineyard and has found 4 pallets of bottled wine too old that was destined for the tip. That's nearly 2 tonnes of wine in bottles! :o
It's a mix of corked and old wine of various types. But who cares? :laughing-rolling: All I have to do is hire a truck to get it home.
I'll have to get a few more French oak barrels to store the brandy from it in. :-D
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:26 pm

RefluxEd wrote:Wow, had a phone call from a mate, he's been doing some work at a vineyard and has found 4 pallets of bottled wine too old that was destined for the tip. That's nearly 2 tonnes of wine in bottles! :o
It's a mix of corked and old wine of various types. But who cares? :laughing-rolling: All I have to do is hire a truck to get it home.
I'll have to get a few more French oak barrels to store the brandy from it in. :-D

Wow... This makes me think I need better friends :think:

What a score Ed
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby Potmash Boka » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:32 pm

RefluxEd wrote:Wow, had a phone call from a mate, he's been doing some work at a vineyard and has found 4 pallets of bottled wine too old that was destined for the tip. That's nearly 2 tonnes of wine in bottles! :o

Hit him up to get you some old port barrels while he's at it. And send one to me. :laughing-rolling:
Potmash Boka

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:32 pm

Interesting thread. Have been cleaning out my wines and found a few cases of red I bought cheap many years ago I was hoping would get better. But alas they haven't. So reading this I thought I might throw it through the pot still as stripping run. If I then run through pot still as spirit run and put on oak dominos at 65% I have something that could resemble a brandy!!
If I ran it through the T500 after a stripping run it would probably still come out neutral??
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:43 pm

You could strip it and then dilute back to 40% with more wine. I think this might get you in the ballpark. I'm not sure how much flavour a T500 retains though
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:54 pm

I've just made some brandy out of a batch of Shiraz that a mate made that turned bad... It's... Alright... But after some months on oak I reckon it'll be pretty tasty!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby woodduck » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:10 pm

I just came across a couple of boxes of wine my mate doesn't want anymore so thought i might aswell try a brandy.

Is there any reason i can't just put it through the bubbler like it is or do i need to pot strip and run through 2 plates like suggested earlier. What is the reason for the 2 runs?

Thanks guys
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sam. » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Run it straight through a 4 plate bubbler mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

In my opinion this will make a better drop ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks sam, I'll give it a crack.

Sounds like french is the go.
What are others opinions on the french oak for brandy? Have others found it to better aswell?

Cheers
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:10 pm

woodduck wrote:Thanks sam, I'll give it a crack.

Sounds like french is the go.
What are others opinions on the french oak for brandy? Have others found it to better aswell?

Cheers

1 pass through 4 plates for mine, aged on french oak :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby woodduck » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Beer & Wine