16 kegs of "out of date beer"

Discussions about beer and wine making.

16 kegs of "out of date beer"

Postby Heef71 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:46 pm

Hey fellas, Merry Christmas to all!!!

I'm looking for some ideas of what would you do.
A friend has been given 16 kegs of out of date beer (3yrs old) from a local pub. My friend runs Darwins only local brewery and will use the kegs for his beer. But what to do with the out of date beer still in the kegs. Most of it is craft beer. I'm thinkin 2 things. Either strip it and reflux it to extract the alcohol to a neutral OR do a single pass thru 4 plates and have a go at a beer whiskey!!

Any thoughts?? Anyone done this before???

Cheers H.
Heef71

equipment: 4" 5 plate glass modular bubbler with packed section on a keg with 2 x 2400W elements & power controller. Started with a T500 and made some mod's and added a 2nd lid with a copper pot head.

Re: 16 kegs of "out of date beer"

Postby Sam. » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:27 pm

It's been talked about a lot of times distilling beer and if the hop oils will ruin a still or flavour and blah blah blah, but.....

Haven't seen many outcomes of what has happened.

I wouldn't commit that energy myself to try and make nuetrel as I am guessing the beer would be around the 5% mark?

Why not make a beer schnapps or whatever you want to call it?

Would probably be better than that Tactical Nuclear Penguin shit that tastes like a can of home brew goo :puke-huge:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Heef71 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:20 pm

Well hey Sam,

Yeah, that's what I'm asking about, a beer schnapps or a beer brandy possibly???
I'm thinkin maybe a strong flavoured pale ale or an ipa may carry over some flavours thru 3 or 4 plates. A lager i'm not sure about....but...mmmm???
Obviously will be a low volume but ...hey....why not give it a go.
I am curious though, after doing cuts and airing for a coupa days, if it would be right to drink right away OR if it should be aged on oak??????????? Is why I'm asking if anyone else has tried, if not...I sense an experiment coming on.......

I know what your saying about the penguin :puke-huge: way too malty and rich. As far as Brewdog beers go the Tokyo Star is about as rich as I can take for a stoutish beer. The bismark on the other hand, isn't quite so bad!! A lot more hoppy. But other than the tokyo star the other two plus the End of History are made via a freezing process so they can still be called a beer. And a very concentrated beer at that.

Sooo....Whats beer like thru a still????????????

I guess I'll find out :-B :-B :-B
Heef71

equipment: 4" 5 plate glass modular bubbler with packed section on a keg with 2 x 2400W elements & power controller. Started with a T500 and made some mod's and added a 2nd lid with a copper pot head.

Postby 620rossco » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:39 am

Heef, my understanding is that it will last 5years in a keg. I'd use it to keep me inside wet. Of course you might need some LSL because it could take a while and some serious help from your mates to drink 16 kegs. Let us know how you go, I have often wondered about this, ATM I have 3 kegs of pale ale that I could happily be rid of. Rossco :mrgreen:
620rossco

equipment: 3"pot 2"double bok 3"LM/VM.

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:59 am

Have a read of kiwikegs sucess

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2336
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Sam. » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:34 am

maddogpearse wrote:Have a read of kiwikegs sucess

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewt ... =31&t=2336

Good thread, I forgot that kk had success with it. Not sure how many others have done it or had success hopefully they will chime in :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Incidentally I never got around to trying it myself :crying-blue:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Darwin award » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Maybe strip through a basic pot then spirit run through the bubbler if the hop panic stories are a worry? I'd try that then oak it but what the heck? 16 kegs certainly gives you plenty to experiment with, I'm sure you'll come up with aomething :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Return to Beer & Wine