Tepache - Mexican Pineapple beer

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Tepache - Mexican Pineapple beer

Postby Whakianga-mai » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:51 pm

1 large ripe Pineapple 2kg scrubbed and rinsed, topped and tailed.
2 whole cloves
2 whole allspice berries
100mm long stick of Cinnamon # see note
500 grams of dark brown sugar # see Note
1 1/2 cups of beer (used home brewed Coopers dark ale)

# Note --> Original recipe calls for Canela (Mexican Cinnamon) and Piloncillo (Mexican brown sugar) hard to source in Australia unless you can get someone to bring back a care package next time he/she goes home. ;).

*1 Cut the unpeeled pineapple into 1 1/2 inch cubes, put the cloves, allspice and cinnamon into a mortar and crush roughly with the pestle.
Put spices and sugar into a large 4-5 litre glass or earthernware jar/ss pot will do with a tight fitting lid,/ glad will do add pineapple pieces and 8 cups of water, stir to mix.

Cover with lid and leave in a warm spot preferably somewhere that is in the sun. Leave there for about 3 days until the mixture begins to ferment (Bubbly on top).

Dissolve the dark brown sugar in 1 1/2 cups water over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, let cool slightly, add with beer to fermenting pineapple mixture, stir and leave in a warm place for 2-3 days longer until it smells strongly fermented and is bubbly, strain through a cheesecloth lined sieve, discard the solids. (Compost)

serve chilled or poured over ice.

Can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 weeks.

This is an adaptation of a recipe by Diana Kennedy. If there ever was a Goddess of Mexican food she is the one,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Kennedy[2]

I never tested this for strength, Gave some bottles away and everyone wanted to purchase more from me. ;)

I carbonated some of this with 1/2 coopers drops. and bottled some.

Cheers
Whakianga-mai

equipment: Old super reflux from stillmasters nz/ Marble, yeh have to build something better

Re: Tepache - Mexican Pineapple beer

Postby UoySevolNatas » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:58 am

That sounds awesome. How does it compare with and without additional carbonation?
UoySevolNatas

equipment: Building the Rainbow Bubbler

Re: Tepache - Mexican Pineapple beer

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:19 am

Did your pineapple come with a top i see that pineapples were growing on the highway at the Gold Coast they take a long time to produce a pineapple .
wynnum1

Return to Beer & Wine