Beardrinkshomebrew's beer recipes

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Re: Beardrinkshomebrew's beer recipes

Postby Sam. » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:54 pm

You have a laundry?

I have a brew room with a washing machine in it :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby WTDist » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:33 pm

Sam. wrote:You have a laundry?

I have a brew room with a washing machine in it :D

:laughing-rolling:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:41 pm

:laughing-rolling:
beardrinkshomebrew

equipment: .....................

Postby warramungas » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:53 pm

Well just bottled that strawberry ale. Worked out about 4.5%. Stick your head in the fermenter and you can smell the strawberry but cant taste it in the beer.
See how it goes after a month or so in the bottle.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby toyoda » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:59 pm

MMmm I could definately taste strawberry in the Wort on mine !

If mine is the same when its finished I might double the jam in the next one and pull back on the sugar,

toyoda
toyoda

equipment: Home construct

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:34 pm

beardrinkshomebrew

Postby toyoda » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:30 am

:roll:

I like the controller on the top of the column !

I Kegged mine yesterday so should be fizzed up early next week.

Early tasting before refrigeration and carbonation : I think I have a faint strawberry aftertaste and my Wife agrees
just wondering if it will come out more as the other flavours settle down and it is chilled and carbonated !

Saying that - it was definately drinkable and a good flavour !

Next time will definately bulk up the jam a bit !

Toyoda
toyoda

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:35 pm

I wonder if it has anything to do with that I don't have a sweet tooth :think:

but when I made it with raspberry jam, that came out really strong raspberry flavor :-p

the good thing about brewing your own, there is always room to adjust to your taste :obscene-drinkingchug:
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby scythe » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:09 am

I don't enjoy beer but these recipes are makinge want to try them.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:32 am

this is my recipe for a black & tan, it makes 60 bottles & is mid strength
1 can Coopers stout
1 can Coopers Lager
1kg dextrose
1/2kg light powered malt
place the malt in the fermenter then put hot water over the top of it & stir around until malt is all dissolved, add more hot water as required
add the dextrose & stir till dissolved
add the can of stout & the can of lager
stir it all until dissolved & then add water to the 50 litre mark

leave in the fermenter for 10 days at around 20 degrees as stout & lager like it cooler than normal
I use raw sugar in the bottles when I bottle it, use good quality sugar as cheap shit will give it a bitter taste; this will give it grouse head retention
leave the bottles warm for 10 days then place it in a dark room for another 10 days b4 drinking

I use lager instead of draught when I make this black & tan as lager ferments cool as does stout & draught likes to ferment at a higher temperature; I have tried to marry stout & draught for 2 decades but even thou it tastes OK, stout & lager is the best

drink this before a year as after a year it will taste not as good due to the malt

if you want a higher ABV, I would suggest using good quality raw sugar, maybe 1/2kg to 1kg

enjoy :music-deathmetal:

p.s. with this beer recipe I have converted non beer drinkers over the decades to drink my beer, except 1 female & she really hated beer to start with :teasing-nutkick:

p.p.s. my avatar is what the final product looks like :happy-partydance:
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby WalterWhite » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:52 pm

I haven't brewed beer for about three years but Bears post tickled my fancy so I have just put down a 23L batch of Rasberry Stout. I used 250g of dextrose instead of the weetbix because I didn't have any! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
For info of anyone trying it my starting Gravity is 1.030. Hope it ferments out to about 1.005 so that will give me 3.9%.
Looking to try a simple can lager next ... Any recommendations?? My everydayer is usually Hahn Superdry but I would prefer to make an easy drinking middy of some sort.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:47 am

I'm glad I tickled your fancy :text-woo:
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby warramungas » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:13 pm

Ok. A month old so cracked a small 'sample' bottle. Always bottle a couple small stubbies for testers.
Not much of a strawberry flavour but the mouthfeel resembled a champagne. If the strawberry was stronger and the beer was a bit sweeter it would've resembled a strawberry champagne admirably.
My eldest said it tasted like corona but I cant be sure as I cant taste the beer in corona anyway. Plus he's a connosoiur after drinking beer for all of 4 months. :))
I think next time I try this ill use a stout and 2 jars of jam. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:25 pm

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so 1 jar does me

but if I use 1 jar of raspberry jam, that is too strong for me

it is only a month old, it will get better; not bad after a month thou

how was the head on it?
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby toyoda » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:04 am

Yep I agree - 1 jar is enough,

After just over a month it had a very slight sweetish strawberryish after taste and was good enough
to make again.

As I used a Black Rock Miners Stout it probably had a stronger original flavour then the coopers which may have masked the strawberry taste a bit , would be good in an Oatmeal Stout !

tried it on a Draught beer with 2 jars - Nope, poured it way !

Toyoda
toyoda

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:33 pm

stout & jam just seem to go together :handgestures-thumbupleft:
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:24 pm

A year ago I was making my beer & apple cider & I thought about making spirits, but I had no still & no idea how to make it.
Luckily Santa bought me an Air Still for Xmas, which was a total surprise, what was even more surprising was the jolly red one used my credit card to buy it; wait till I see that fat f**k this year.
GIYF (google is your friend) or your local home brew store, just don’t let them talk you into getting turbo stuff.
I use an air still as I live in a place where there is only rain water & I didn’t want to use my drinking water to cool down the still.
There are different types of stills & the best place to read & find out things is on this site - index.php - they are a friendly bunch there; I like vodka so I use a pot still, other spirits require different types of still.
To start with, you need a 60 litre fermenter, a long spoon, a towel, a tap with sediment trap, a heater belt, an air lock & a temperature gauge

Frank Cooper once told me, “you put shit in & you get shit out; so always use the best ingredients”.
So to make WBABW (Weetbix All Bran Wash), we need.
10kg white sugar (I use Coles sugar, any white sugar is OK, except really cheap brands).

half a box of 1.4 kg of Weetbix
half a 530g box of All Bran
2 teaspoons epsom salts
1.5 teaspoons citric acid (in the spice section of the supermarket)
water to the 60lt mark
100g bread yeast

Method

Boil some water (I have a stainless steel pot that I have & its only job is to boil water for my brews).
add a bag of sugar, more boiled water, more sugar, stir, add more boiled water, add sugar & stir; get the picture? Keep adding boiled water until all the sugar is dissolved; you can add the epsom salts & citric acid now as well.
When all the sugar is dissolved, add half a box of Weetbix, you don’t have to mash them up as the boiled water will do that for you.
The All Bran is different, it has to be mashed up , I use a blender. I take out the bag from the box & cut the top off then I weigh it on the kitchen scales then halve that number & remember it. Blend up the All Bran a little at a time, it doesn’t matter if it turns to power; then put it in the fermenter & stir.
Once everything is mixed in the fermenter, it doesn’t matter if it takes a few drinks/hours  you could always add boiling water to it as the final temperature will be 30 degrees. Add cold & boiled water to the fermenter until it is up to the 60 litre mark & the temperature is around 30 degrees; we use bread yeast so it won’t die at a higher temperature like beer or cider yeast. When the temperature & water levels are right, measure out 100g of yeast & place it in the fermenter; you don’t have to stir it in.

As you can see from the above picture, there is a lot of sediment in the fermenter, that is OK. Next put the lid on, but don’t screw it down, just let it sit on the fermenter for 24 hours or it might go up like in Young Einstein where he split the beer atom in the shed of his ol’ mans shed – BOOM. Not really, there won’t be a thermal nuclear reaction or an exothermic reaction, it’s just that there be a lot of carbon dioxide released & the little hole for the air lock is too small to allow all that carbon dioxide to escape that quickly.
I left this for 2 weeks in the fermenter until the SG reached 990, use a brewers hydrometer to check the specific gravity.

I then removed the heat & left it for 4 days to settle after I got my long spoon & stirred up the junk in the bottom so anything that was trapped under & didn’t ferment, will now finish the process.

I then moved the junk from around the tap & left it for another 3 days to clear, then I decanted it; you can use 1 or 2 x 30 litres fermenters or 1 x 60 litre fermenter, it is just too heavy to lift the 60 litre fermenter onto the bench.

Now for the stripping run

Place the WBABW “wash” into the air still with boil enhancers & a few drops of olive oil. Make sure both cables are fully connected.

When stripping the wash,‭ let the still run until what’s coming out reaches 20% ABV‬‬.‬‬
‭I can get 900 - 1000ml when I do the stripping run from 4lts & the total alcohol is ~35% ABV‬‬.‬‬

To get 1 litre, it takes ~3 hours & 10 minutes.
I get ~18 beer bottles after I put it all into bottles. You can use glass or stainless steel to keep it in, not plastic, as the plastic flavour will leech into your brew. That plastic jug you see above & below is special plastic - Polypropylene

In the nearly full 17 litre stainless steel pot above, is what I got after doing ALL the spirit run. I then use a very clean mug, as it’s got a handle, and put it in the polypropylene jug then into bottles. I use beer bottles, you can use anything you like, just make sure the level is all the same; I use the top of the CUB crest as my mark.
If you don't get multiples of 3 bottles, or whatever you use, keep the remaining in glass or stainless steel for the next stripping run. Wash out everything after you have finished; I described this in the previous page.

Spirit run

No need for boil enhancers or olive oil in the spirit run, but I use the boil enhancers.‭‬‬‬
Empty 3 beer bottles (~750ml) from the stripping run into the air still & filled to the 4 litre mark with water, this gave me ~20%ABV (the ABV can be as low as 15%).
‭Turn on the distiller & wait an hour‬‬‬
‭The first 50ml is foreshots, throw away, or keep in a bottle marked poison & out out of reach of kids as this stuff will kill you; I use it mixed with water to clean windows or put some in your car washer bottle so it will clean the windscreen better & it won't freeze in the colder weather :)‬‬‬

The next 250ml, keep for heads run*.‬
‭Collect 1100 - 1200mls, that is a mixture of hearts & some tails, ‭after collecting that, collect 100ml then another 100ml & another & check with alcometer (stop when it gets down to 20%) & for taste to see if it they get included in what you already collected. I usually get 1200mls when I do one stripping run, I taste the output to tell me when to stop.‬‬‬‬
After you do one spirit run, clean the air still (only clean the base) & keep going until it is all finished. Stir the finished neutral in the stainless steel pot with a steel spoon & then place into containers, usually bottles or jars, not plastic. I usually let the neutral breathe in the pot with the top off & you will tell when it is ready to bottle as the smell won’t be as strong. Don’t forget to check what the final ABV% is with your alcometer 

So, after buying initial things, all you need to make 12 litres of neutral/vodka/moonshine is 20kgs white sugar, 1.4kgs Weetbix, 530g All Bran, 4 teaspoons epsom salts, 3 teaspoons citric acid, water & 200g bread yeast; not bad eh  cheers

*Heads run

Once you collect 1750ml of heads from the spirit run, place in distiller with boil enhancers & add water to the 4lt mark.
Discard the first 150ml, or use it to clean windows or poison weeds, the collect 1 litre after that.
I usually put that one litre in with what I collect from the spirit run & mix it all up. I have done guide as a request from fellow neutral/vodka/moonshine drinkers who enjoy what I produced 
cheers
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:58 pm

the above did not transfer the pictures with the text from M$ Office 2010, so I have uploaded the small .docx file and the link to "How to make 60 litres of WBABW and turn it into 6 litres of neutral using an air still" :techie-typing:

https://www.adrive.com/public/9pupa5/Ho ... still.docx
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:49 pm

'There are different types of stills... I like vodka so I use a pot still, other spirits require different types of still.'

If you like vodka you need a reflux still mate, a pot still is much more suitable for flavoured spirits ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:01 pm

I thought it was the other way around :doh:
beardrinkshomebrew

PreviousNext

Return to Beer & Wine