Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:41 am

P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Re: easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby Hillbillyman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:52 am

I seen that at kroger today is it good to use
How would you do a 5gallon wash
Hillbillyman

equipment: Still making pot still

easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Go back to the first post and there is how I do it.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
3v beer rig

Postby Hillbillyman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:31 am

Ididnt now if y had it in gallons il figure it out thank
Hillbillyman

equipment: Still making pot still

Postby timboss » Mon May 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Sounds like this could be my next neutral wash. Seems to be a lot of TPW converts which is a good sign!

I decided on the weekend I'm done with TPW as I'm farking sick on the smell as it boils :violence-smack: :puke-huge:

Still got 50 litres sitting in a fermenter that I might pour down the drain.. That's how sick of it I am
timboss

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer

Postby Clickeral » Mon May 26, 2014 4:01 pm

The 30L wash of this I am doing has a starting gravity of 1070

Think I should have reduced the sugar content as I forgot to remove the amount of space the weetbix takes up
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon May 26, 2014 6:10 pm

SG of 1070 is perfect mate... I aim for between 1060 and 1080...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Re: Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

Postby welly » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Difference between WBAB and TPW????
welly

equipment: T500 Boiler
Copper Artisan reflux condenser

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:37 pm

General consensus is that TPW is better for neutrals for essencing/macerating fruits etc, WBAB is the go If you want a vodka to sip on...

Try both, see what you prefer :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby P3T3rPan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:18 pm

:text-+1: to what Zac said
P3T3rPan

3v beer rig

Postby Potmash Boka » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:59 pm

I've been running a wash of 12 weetbix with 5kgs of raw sugar done all the usual way with converting the sugar etc. Run it through a de-tuned Boka and it comes out like a very malty whisky. Goes good with 500gms of peat smoked Barley malt added for a nice sweet,malty, smokey whisky. Does need about 8-10 weeks minimum on oak if adding the smoked malt.
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Sounds interesting mate :) I've had great success with running WBAB through my pot twice, and putting the hearts on toasted American oak. Makes a nice change from my usual CFW's, it's a bit drier/not as sweet. Good for something different :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Clickeral » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm drinking this atm its been on french oak for about 6weeks and is pretty nice

Have had it white as a wheat vodka as well and while the mouth feel is good its not as smooth as my double distilled stuff, think its due to 4 plates

In saying that the double distilled stuff has anything white that I didnt like mixed togeather and run again (the brandy I ran with the last batch gave it a hint of apple taste)

So CFW, Modified CFW, Weetbix and all bran, apple brandy and TPW all white and run again haha

Still need to get more kit :s

Possible that the fact I drink it at 45% makes it burn alittle :p
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Potmash Boka wrote:I've been running a wash of 12 weetbix with 5kgs of raw sugar done all the usual way with converting the sugar etc. Run it through a de-tuned Boka and it comes out like a very malty whisky. Goes good with 500gms of peat smoked Barley malt added for a nice sweet,malty, smokey whisky. Does need about 8-10 weeks minimum on oak if adding the smoked malt.

Hey Potmash Boka ....are you just using 12 weetbix or are you also adding the All bran ?..what kind of Oak toasted , Charred?
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Potmash Boka » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:59 pm

Hey Yummy, yeah just 12 weetbix all crushed up. Sometimes I pound it into a flour like substance, good when I'm in the mood to destroy something. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.

Postby Potmash Boka » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:26 pm

Lightly toasted French Oak, with heavy char American Oak. Probably about 60/40 French to American. Sometimes add a couple of shavings of clean lightly toasted American Oak for a little Bourbonesque flavour
Potmash Boka

Postby slodki » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Giving this one a crack lads. Got a 25L wash going as we speak.

Looking to make a neutral out of this one. Very interested to see how compares to a TPW (in terms of taste/mouth feel).
slodki

equipment: FSD Neutralizer

Postby Guppy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Potmash Boka wrote:I've been running a wash of 12 weetbix with 5kgs of raw sugar done all the usual way with converting the sugar etc. Run it through a de-tuned Boka and it comes out like a very malty whisky. Goes good with 500gms of peat smoked Barley malt added for a nice sweet,malty, smokey whisky. Does need about 8-10 weeks minimum on oak if adding the smoked malt.

Interested in your recipe. Can you give me some more information please? Are you adding the 500 grams of peated malt to your final product before ageing? And if so to how many litres?
Guppy

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler and pot still.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:47 pm

I've always found this recipe never finishes less than sg 1.000......unlike my TPWs which all end up at sg 0.990 or lower

Last lot was 1.005 and I ran it anyway .I thought I would start paying attention to pH so I added only 1/4 teaspoon citric acid ( instead of the 1/2 tsp) and the pH was 5 in each of the two 25 liter fermenters . I was happy with that .

The two washes have stopped after nearly 3 weeks .One was at 1.010 and the pH was 3.4...it was just starting to loose its sweetness. The other was still just above 1.020 and the pH was 3.2 but was still quite sweet.

I slowly added Sodium bicarbonate to both washes while stirring .....I ended up with 10 teaspoons in each . It raised the first one to 5 and the second to 4.8
I have put them back on the heater and will see if they finish off .

Incidentally both these washes are on two different heat pads but side by side wrapped up together , the temp has been around 27-29 deg for whole ferment .The heat pads are different types and the sugar used was a mix .One had Woolies and Aldi , the other had Wollies and Payless from IGA ...can't remember which was which but these variables could explain the two different ferments ..

Anyway I'll see if they kick off again and finish now the pH is a bit higher
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby P3T3rPan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:45 pm

I am on to gen 8 of this recipe and find it almost too easy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I don't bother with monitoring the temp or the ph, add 100grams or so of yeast every 2nd wash, remove half the lees in the fermenter every 2nd wash (50L), use hot backset to melt sugars(including one 1kg tin of Golden Syrup), 3 teaspoons Epsom salts, pinch of citric, lightly crush in the 10 or 15 weetbix add 1 box of all bran then whizz it all together with a paint stirrer in a battery drill. Leave overnight to cool and syphon into fermenter, top up with good water. pitch (or not) wrap up and air lock. Goes off like a machine gun every time and makes great vodka.
P3T3rPan

3v beer rig

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development