Pintoshine Fast ferment molasses wash

These recipes are the go to proven recipes that work!

Pintoshine Fast ferment molasses wash

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:01 am

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbKQfzutmf4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi6R4_9-etY

I would like to contribute a recipe for a really vigorous fermenter with a very good taste. Best of all no long cook time.

I mix all my stuff in a large 25 gallon pot.

First I add 6.5 gallons rain water (important ingredient, no chlorine).
I then measure up the wall to twice the height to know when to stop adding water.
I add 3 gallons of GFS (Gordon’s Food Service) Black Strap Molasses.

In a separate pot, on the stove, I put one gallon of rain water. To this I add 4 one a day style multi-vitamins that I have crushed thoroughly in mortar. I then add 13 teaspoons of DAP (one tsp per gallon of wash). I then add one cup (from GFS 2 pound bag) of Red Star active dry baking yeast. I bring this to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the contents from the small pot to the large container. Add another cup of dry yeast. Top up with water to the mark. Stir everything thoroughly. I use a paint stirrer and a drill and aerate well.

This gets split between two 6.5 gallon carboys. The first time I tried this I had to drill out the holes in the fermentation locks to keep them from coming off the bottles. This stuff generates a bit of heat so I don’t have to supply any in a 68 degree F room. The last time I made this it fermented completely in 36 hours. This is pretty good for bakers yeast.

After this is distilled (I use a pot still with a glass doubler) this is a fine drink. Despite the aggressive taste of the molasses, it comes off really smooth for white rum. The vigorous and fast fermentation along with the rain water keep the off tastes to a minimum.

I usually get 2.3 gallons of 100P. I usually hit my expected yield.

The Rum recipe originated in trying to ferment HFCS 55 which I get for $0.25 per pound. The first time I used the GFS Blackstrap, it nearly stuck. I tried a heating pad and more nutrients. The resulting spirit was bad. I was pretty sure the Blackstrap was lacking some nutrients to get a faster and thus cleaner fermentation. So I tried my HFCS55 recipe and it worked better than expected. The only difference in the HFCS55 and the Blackstrap is that the Blackstrap already has enough acidity. For the HFCS55 I have to add about a teaspoon per 5 gallons of wash. I usually shoot for a PH of about 5.5 with the HFCS. It seems to not stress the yeast as bad. Also, I generally try to get a SP of 1.070 for the the sugar. When I make up a batch of HFCS I make whopper sized batches for vodka. The low yield is worth the extremely fast fermentation without having to by Turbos. I prefer to distill a lot rather than wait for long fermentations.

Credit for this recipe goes to Pintoshine

Please use the Pintoshine’s Fast Ferment Molasses Wash discussion thread if you would like to know more about this recipe. It can be found in the Recipe Development section of the Forum or by clicking HERE.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Tried & Proven