Bumper's Chilli BBQ Sauce

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Re: Bumper's Chilli BBQ Sauce

Postby Bumper » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:17 pm

coffe addict wrote:
mms_img-1686057425.jpg
mms_img-695193449.jpg

So all hail the God of bbq sauce ^:)^ :romance-kisscheek: :happy-partydance:

A cpl minor changes. Couldn't find ghost or reapers. So used birds eye and habinaro's. I froze them so the seeds could be used. An extra 1/2 cup Worcester sauce and an extra 100ml of tomato paste as that kinda just used up the jars/bottle. We don't have any of the smoke you mentioned but peat reek goes excellent but as we like smokey we added 50% more.
This is the bomb. We had fish and chips for dinner. This sauce was smothered over everything. It went down superbly!!
We have some thai chillies growing that'll make the birds eyes look like kids play, can't wait to the next batch at the end of summer.
Disregard the labelling all credit goes to bumper :laughing-rolling:

Edit... I tripled the recipe and ended up with 5.4L
. Awesome job, glad you had a crack and enjoyed the results!
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby Bumper » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Chillies don't need heaps of nutrients or perfect conditions mate, slap a couple in and see how you go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

True, but give them slightly acidic soil, plenty of dynamic lifter and some blood and bone and they go gang busters. And they hate frost. And loooove water. Fruit fly traps also help, little bastards can ruin a good pod... Another thread perhaps :-B
Bumper

Postby EziTasting » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:40 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:
EziTasting wrote: the horse poop has quite matured sufficiently ... drooling just looking at it! ^:)^

:scared-eek: :laughing-rolling:

Boy, missed that!!! What's scary is I don't recall if I WAS talking about the he poop or the resulting sauce... :wtf:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Bumper » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:07 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Dig Brinker wrote:
EziTasting wrote: the horse poop has quite matured sufficiently ... drooling just looking at it! ^:)^

:scared-eek: :laughing-rolling:

Boy, missed that!!! What's scary is I don't recall if I WAS talking about the he poop or the resulting sauce... :wtf:

Lost and a little unsettled myself now :laughing-rolling:
Bumper

Postby jomo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:42 am

coffe addict wrote:Edit... I tripled the recipe and ended up with 5.4L

Looks amazing and a great batch size! Will definitely have to try this one, thanks Bumper!!
jomo

equipment: None yet

Postby Listo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:31 pm

The missus bought the ingredients for this today in the shopping. She sent a photo through of the chilli selection, they only had habanero’s off the list so I just said “grab a pack of them & a pack of birdseyes too”. Each pack is 35grams... my arse started bleeding when I saw that, I don’t know how this will turn out...
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Postby EziTasting » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:32 pm

This is a very nice sauce, using less chili just makes it milder!
EziTasting

Postby Listo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:58 pm

EziTasting wrote:This is a very nice sauce, using less chili just makes it milder!

I know less chilli means it’s milder, I just meant what chilli I have scares me already, the original recipe must be fucking hot
Listo
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:33 pm

Listo wrote:
EziTasting wrote:This is a very nice sauce, using less chili just makes it milder!

I know less chilli means it’s milder, I just meant what chilli I have scares me already, the original recipe must be fucking hot

:laughing-rolling: I trippled the recipe then upped the chilli, I think it ended up being 1.7Kg of chilli... took 3 months for it to settle down. Was like liquid napalm! Made all my mates cry! :laughing-rolling: when they finally realized I didn’t have any :teasing-tease: knot bloody stoopid!
EziTasting

Postby Listo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:13 pm

I did a limp wristed version of this today for an experimental run. I know you guys will tell me I squat to piss, but I only put 4 birds eyes & a habenaro in & even that’s got enough zing for me :icon-redface: :-D . It is good stuff but, there’s no way I could try the original recipe :scared-eek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Listo on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listo
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Listo wrote:I did a limp wristed version of this today for an experimental run. I know you guys will tell me I squat to piss, but I only put 4 birds eyes & a habenaro in & even that’s got enough zing for me :icon-redface: :-D . It is good stuff but, there’s no way I could try the original recipe :scared-eek:

Maaaate, I would never say that to your face! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

But seriously, a total of 5 chilies! :teasing-neener:
EziTasting

Postby Listo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:30 pm

We just had some with tea, it was nice but needs a bit more though. I’m not the best with hot stuff, shitting fire scares me :scared-eek:
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Listo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:32 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Listo wrote:I did a limp wristed version of this today for an experimental run. I know you guys will tell me I squat to piss, but I only put 4 birds eyes & a habenaro in & even that’s got enough zing for me :icon-redface: :-D . It is good stuff but, there’s no way I could try the original recipe :scared-eek:

Maaaate, I would never say that to your face! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

But seriously, a total of 5 chilies! :teasing-neener:

Haha, I know I know, talk about a princess ay :))
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Listo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:44 pm

I made another batch today with double the amount of chillies I put in last time, it’s got a bit of sting but not hugely hotter... I think I’ve graduated from prep to grade 1 :mrgreen:

I also forgot in my first post, in regards to Coffee Addict’s post, our woollies didn’t have liquid smoke either but I found it at BBQ’s galore if that helps anyone

Cheers
Listo
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:01 pm

Haha well done Padawan.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: nearly growed up!

Chili is something you grow accustom to...

I prefer Smoked Paprica to liquid smoke... just an alternative.
EziTasting

Postby coffe addict » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:32 am

I tend to use both. Hbs usually has a few options for liquid smoke but I've been just as happy with peat reek :teasing-tease:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby EziTasting » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:46 am

coffe addict wrote:I tend to use both. Hbs usually has a few options for liquid smoke but I've been just as happy with peat reek :teasing-tease:

:-B never even thought of that... that’s not like Laphroig, is it?!?
EziTasting

Postby coffe addict » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Not really like Laphroaig but if you added more I reckon it might get close!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby bluc » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:38 pm

Bumper wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:I'm going to need that chilli BBQ sauce recipe!

This is a hot one but you can dial the chillies down to taste or sub them out for less heat.

Makes a bit over a litre.

150g ghost chillies de-seeded and chopped.
50g carolina reapers de-seeded and chopped
50g habaneros de-seeded and chopped
(note if you freeze them a week or so before you cook with them, it breaks the fibres down and you can keep the seeds in, they blend up just fine and you don't sacrifice any heat, this is how I do them, otherwise if you leave them in when they are fresh they are gritty in the final sauce)
4 granny smith apples
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup molasses
500ml tomato pasatta
1/2 cup apple cider vingar
1/3 cup worcestshire sauce
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup water (add more if needed to get consistency right)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp liquid smoke (I like hickory or apple)

Basically peel, core and chop the apples, cook them until soft with the cider vinegar. Add the passatta, bring up to the boil. Add remaining ingredients stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes will the sugars dissolve and drop the temp down to a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Turn the heat off, stick blender the lot and add a little water if needed for consistency. Put some sauce bottles in the oven at 120c for 15 minutes. put the lids in a saucepan of hot water and give them a quick boil, strain and cool. Bottle while hot, and invert them once the lids are on so the lids seal well.

Ph is usually around 3 with the lemon juice, vinegar and tomato, so is shelf stable until you are ready for it. I usually make a few litres at a time.

Word of advice, the chillies will frag your house out, especially on clean up with hot water converting them to steam. Doors and windows open job. But worth it.

I am a chilli wuss so exchanged chilli for capsicum. I have my first pot on the stove now and dam is it tasty.
I will slowly add chilli in to a level where I like it it. I dont mind some franks hot sauce in gravey or mayo but this recipe brings tears to my eyes just thinking bout it..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:24 pm

:laughing-rolling:

Good on you for trying! Hate it when people refuse to even have a go... went from stoopid hot to juuuust nicely hot!
Only problem is, friends really like it so I have to make x4 or 5 as much just to have some for myself!
EziTasting

Previous

Return to The Tucker Box