Resident Chef - will trade food knowledge for still advice!

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Resident Chef - will trade food knowledge for still advice!

Postby OzzyChef » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Hey everyone. I've been a high level fine dinning chef for 15 years now and I've cooked everything in every way it's possible. My forte and I guess my passion is starting to lead towards smoking and preserving but I'm still currently a Sous chef in a Sydney fine Food restaurant. I'm more then happy to answer any questions or share any required recipes that anyone is after coz let's face it, good grog goes with good food! Just putting it out there for anyone. Cheers and happy stillin and grillin!
Below is a pic of a side of bacon I cured for a week and smoked today. Also made some chorizo and smoked those, as well as pork spare ribs! Was a family feast!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OzzyChef

equipment: 2 inch copper pot still and 2" copper offset reflux still
30l turbo boilervand 50l keg boiler under construction

Re: Resident Chef - will trade food knowledge for still advi

Postby coffe addict » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Welcome mate I for one am very interested in ageing curing smoking different meats. I've not yet started as I'm in a rental but that's soon to change.

Any good to have you here and post away with the recipies lol
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Welcome ozzy. Lots of good recipes on here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
coffe addict wrote:Welcome mate I for one am very interested in ageing curing smoking different meats. I've not yet started as I'm in a rental but that's soon to change.

Any good to have you here and post away with the recipies lol

Iv had a uds smoker for while now, even smoked Xmas lunch on it :D
(Ugly drum smoker) as important as your BBQ in my opinion. Maybe ozzy can let us know which spirits go with which smoked meats :D
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Bumper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Welcome mate. Keen amateur cook here. Pit barrel cooker, cold smoker, building a charcuterie fridge atm. Looking forward to your food threads. I grow lots of veg and fruit, chillies etc and just harvested my first corn yesterday. Made loaves of sourdough on the weekend, been getting into baking more recently too.
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby warramungas » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Welcome mate. I can cook a mean cuppa tea!
Looking forward to hearing your recipes. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 am

Welcome. Mmmm bacon!!! :D
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby OzzyChef » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Bumper wrote:Welcome mate. Keen amateur cook here. Pit barrel cooker, cold smoker, building a charcuterie fridge atm. Looking forward to your food threads. I grow lots of veg and fruit, chillies etc and just harvested my first corn yesterday. Made loaves of sourdough on the weekend, been getting into baking more recently too.

Nice Work Bumper!! If you end up with extra fruit/veg from your harvest you definitely consider preserving techniques such as pickling! Delicious and no wastage. Win win!

What should I post as a first recipe? Maybe some simple sauce recipes to compliment some nice meats that work well with likker?
I'm open to suggestions. Anything anyone wants to try or always wanted a decent recipe for?
OzzyChef

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Ohhhh my word!! Why did I look that up?!?!?!?! charcuterie fridge ... drooling

Chile sauces, Sausage recipes, anything savoury, spicy and tasty work for me!!!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:30 pm

I've never been able to make a good massaman curry, can do a good yellow and a damn good green but massaman always defeats me.
Probably not your usual Sydney fine dining but would be a hit in my house :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:40 pm

ooooohhhh curry anything would be a hit with me, stuff the house!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Bumper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:06 pm

OzzyChef wrote:
Bumper wrote:Welcome mate. Keen amateur cook here. Pit barrel cooker, cold smoker, building a charcuterie fridge atm. Looking forward to your food threads. I grow lots of veg and fruit, chillies etc and just harvested my first corn yesterday. Made loaves of sourdough on the weekend, been getting into baking more recently too.

Nice Work Bumper!! If you end up with extra fruit/veg from your harvest you definitely consider preserving techniques such as pickling! Delicious and no wastage. Win win!

What should I post as a first recipe? Maybe some simple sauce recipes to compliment some nice meats that work well with likker?
I'm open to suggestions. Anything anyone wants to try or always wanted a decent recipe for?
cheers mate. Yep vacola and dehydrator and extra freezer in full effect. If you have a good duck leftovers recipe I would be keen. Doing some tea and cherry wood smoked ducks tomorrow, lots of leftovers to go in the freezer after pancakes and laksa.
Bumper

Postby Bumper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 pm

EziTasting wrote:Ohhhh my word!! Why did I look that up?!?!?!?! charcuterie fridge ... drooling

Chile sauces, Sausage recipes, anything savoury, spicy and tasty work for me!!!

I just need to get my shed fridge re gassed and I'll post a build. Cost a couple of hundred to set up but figure the range of produce it opens up is well worth it. Oh yeah, a good sausage recipe would be awesome too!
Bumper

Postby OzzyChef » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:23 pm

My wife is Portuguese, I'll post her recipe for Linguisa tonight (Portuguese chorizo) it's got a touch of chilli and is delicious smoked from fresh then sliced and pan fried. Would bake up nicely as well if you don't have a smoker! Another hour I'll be finished work and I'll post it up. I'll follow it with a tried and true massaman curry recipe tomorrow. I'm a big fan of massa!
I'd love a charcuterie fridge Bump but fuck I have too many toys and not enough room as it is, maybe once we build the new house next year the minister of war and finance will make an allowance?
OzzyChef

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:27 pm

Bumper, please do a build thread on this fridge with lots of pics. Exactly what I need( I think) to make my biltong in high humidity qld
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Bumper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:35 pm

Doubleuj wrote:

Bumper, please do a build thread on this fridge with lots of pics. Exactly what I need( I think) to make my biltong in high humidity qld

No problem. Although you will need a dehumidifier too, my build doesn't have one atm. Easy to add on though. I use an Excalibur dehydrator for my jerky, turns out great every time. Not the same as biltong though. Might need to add a dehumidifier...
Bumper

Postby Bumper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:38 pm

OzzyChef wrote:My wife is Portuguese, I'll post her recipe for Linguisa tonight (Portuguese chorizo) it's got a touch of chilli and is delicious smoked from fresh then sliced and pan fried. Would bake up nicely as well if you don't have a smoker! Another hour I'll be finished work and I'll post it up. I'll follow it with a tried and true massaman curry recipe tomorrow. I'm a big fan of massa!
I'd love a charcuterie fridge Bump but fuck I have too many toys and not enough room as it is, maybe once we build the new house next year the minister of war and finance will make an allowance?

Oh hell yes, the recipe sounds great. I know what you mean re toys... A sous vide and I am done after the fridge... Promise :laughing-rolling:
Bumper

Postby OzzyChef » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:13 pm

I got a cryovac and a poly science sous vide. Both are invaluable items in my house. Amazing! I'm going to use the sous vide and cry to force age some cfw :music-deathmetal:
OzzyChef

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:18 pm

is a Food Dehydrator

http://www.vitality4life.com.au/biochef ... ehydrator/

the same as a dehumidifier? 8-}
beardrinkshomebrew

equipment: .....................

Postby OzzyChef » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:18 pm

No mate a dehydrator is a unit you put food in that has a tiny heater element and fan in it that's thermostat controlled to slowly "cook" your desired food till its dehydrated completely. Your oven can work as a dehydrater if it's new and can get down to 30/40c or if it's gas with a pilot. A dehumidifier works more like an air conditioner removing humidity from the environment.
OzzyChef

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:34 pm

:text-thankyoublue:
beardrinkshomebrew

equipment: .....................

Next

Return to The Tucker Box