Unusual Foods

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Unusual Foods

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:32 pm

So tomorrow Im going to cook my first Peacock :scared-eek: I thought why not its just a big Pheasant. Going to be an interesting lunch :think:

What strange or interesting food are others eating?
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Re: Unusual Foods

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Aren't they protected species like koalas :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Hmmmm a peacock :-B :think: i used to go shooting with friends their father had the rule you shoot it you eat it... i made the mistake of shooting a shag :puke-huge: I have however eaten wild pig more than once kangaroo and bush pigeons all good tucker :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 pm

KFP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 pm

copperhead road wrote:Aren't they protected species like koalas :laughing-rolling:

Protected? what's that? :laughing-rolling: Kidding, old mate down the road has about 200, a friend swapped him some pheasants for a couple, dressed em the asked if I wanted one, I thought why not, don't think the wife is real keen 8-} her old man is though.

bluc :naughty: at least you ate it, my worst so far was a cobras still beating heart, followed by a shot of its blood with Hennesy :puke-huge:
TasSpirits

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:59 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
bluc :naughty: at least you ate it, my worst so far was a cobras still beating heart, followed by a shot of its blood with Hennesy :puke-huge:

I seen that on that show BOOZE TRAVELLER it's a ritual and honour to have with some tribe and there witch doctor
copperhead road

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Vietnam, the girls love it when you eat it. ;-)
TasSpirits

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:24 am

Tas make sure you give us an update on this thread of how tasty & tender your bird was after it came out the oven
copperhead road

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:08 am

copperhead road wrote:Tas make sure you give us an update on this thread of how tasty & tender your bird was after it came out the oven

Its going in now, Ill take a pic when its done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:48 am

TasSpirits wrote:
copperhead road wrote:Tas make sure you give us an update on this thread of how tasty & tender your bird was after it came out the oven

Its going in now, Ill take a pic when its done :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Your hardcore, I think it's unusual enough but even more so for the breakfast menu.... :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

Postby warramungas » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Noice. Hopefully its not an old one. They can get tough as buggery.

When greenies ask me whether something I shot is protected, I answer "Well it wasn't very well protected. One bullet knocked it over!" And watch their expressions. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :))
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:04 pm

You get a pick tas? How was it?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Speaking of unusual foods a mate got a whole dressed and cut up goat. It cost him $500 :scared-eek: $500 for a freakin goat
bluc
Site Donor

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:13 pm

In England Peasants and other game birds are hung up to a month to mature befor they are cooked ,I have also heard the term hung until green,I think the Kiwis do it to wild pigs as well.Not some thing I would be to keen on but if there is nothing else ,hunger will make ya do strange things.cheers hillzabilly :puke-huge:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby warramungas » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Had a visitor so couldnt finish that last post.
I grew up on an island so we had weird foods. Cape Barron geese chicks, wallabies were a regular menu item for us and the dogs, crayfish nearly every friggin night as a kid, abalone, mutton birds, sea urchin, beer battered scallops, heaps of varieties of fish and flake fillets, whole baked flounder, squid rings, the odd peacock, pheasants (only two I can remember) and turkey breast meat, wild turkey (not the drink) eggs, plenty of fruit and veg from the old mans garden and probably a few other things I've forgotten.
Still cant stand crayfish.

Goat costs about $120 here if you cant pick off your own. Maybe it was the cutting that cost him?
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Goat is nearly on par with lamb for price, great for the farmers that have them roaming on their land.

Round them up and sell them off for a shitload of money for fuck all work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Have done a little shooting on stations over this way,goats are like a plague and the farmers would say take as many as ya like,and I must say they were tasty buggers,we would keep a couple of the younger ones and put them on the spit and cook long and slow,taste was half way between lamb and beef for me,and who isnot hungry after a hard days work and watching a spit roaster for 3-4hours and plenty of loud lemonades.That diet sounds good ta me Warra,sea food and eat it.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:06 pm

It wasn't to tough, the breast s a little dry, I stuffed it, lay some bacon over it, put it on a mirepoix and baked it in a bag at 150 for 3.5 hours. Pretty tasty, going to get a very young hen next time. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Spit roasted baby goat is tasty indeed, was going to type kid, it just looked wrong 8-}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TasSpirits

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:50 pm

The other tasty snack I had was at lambing season ,sear off their tails with a red hot wedge(not the placky rings they use now) and after you had done them all ,throw them on the coals for a few mins and serve with tommy sauce ,not a lot of meat on them but we allways had plenty,bet ya will not see that on master chef.cheers hillzabilly :D
hillzabilly

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:59 pm

hillzabilly wrote:The other tasty snack I had was at lambing season ,sear off their tails with a red hot wedge(not the placky rings they use now) and after you had done them all ,throw them on the coals for a few mins and serve with tommy sauce ,not a lot of meat on them but we allways had plenty,bet ya will not see that on master chef.cheers hillzabilly :D

The father in law did that for me a couple of years ago, a old Kiwi neighbour used to come up when it was time mark the Lambs and help if he could have the tails. Being a Kiwi myself he said "you would have done this before" He was most disappointed when I told him "up north there are fuck all sheep" :laughing-rolling:
TasSpirits

Next

Return to The Tucker Box