Food Dehydrator

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Re: Food Dehydrator

Postby Jimmy1 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:21 am

I use one of the evilbay cheapo round ones ond serves me well. But on saying that I do have to rotate the trays so the lower ones dont dry too much while waiting for the top shelves. But usually once is all I need to do plus you get to sample some of the smaller pieces :D
Jimmy1

equipment: 2" Ultra Pure still ... Like a Boka just expensive
25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot
50L keg with 4 ring burner

Postby R-sole » Wed May 30, 2012 10:24 am

If i was looking for one i'd try some of the US forums. it's really big over there (like most things) so there are some really good models available and they're well discussed.

Could get some good freight deals to if you look round Amazon or somewhere
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby wld trky » Wed May 30, 2012 11:52 am

There is a place here in Adelaide and a couple in Vic I think. Here's the link for their dehydrator.

http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/product ... table.html
wld trky

equipment: T500

Postby QLD.Andy » Wed May 30, 2012 12:49 pm

I did see that one WT, thanks to Jimmy.
Oh and 5Star, I would rather not order from USA, I dont know why :doh:
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby R-sole » Wed May 30, 2012 1:10 pm

No problem. i'll keep all my ideas to myself :))
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby QLD.Andy » Wed May 30, 2012 1:34 pm

QLD.Andy

Postby R-sole » Wed May 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Doesn't look to have a fan, but at the risk of offering another idea for rejection, you could mount a computer fan on top and have it suck air out.

Assuming those shelves and body are stainless not plated.

AssumingThat'sNotTooMuchConstructionPunkin
R-sole

Postby QLD.Andy » Wed May 30, 2012 4:53 pm

That I could do :teasing-neener:
QLD.Andy

Postby maheel » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:24 pm

saw this today at homeart cannonhill brisbane

i got no idea if any good but $40 might be a cheap intro to jerky world :banana-rainbow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maheel

Postby The Stig » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:42 pm

You were up the road and didnt call in ?? Im hurt
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby patto » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:01 am

Hi

I just bought a Eurolab dehydrator and want to make beef jerky but have no instructions etc for it.

Does anyone have one of these and if so - give us a few pointers on settings, number of hours to cook, perperation, best meat to use and best way to cut

Thanks any help would be great

Patto
patto

equipment: Mainly interested in beef jerky making

Food Dehydrator

Postby wedwards » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:15 pm

I usually get butcher to cut up 2kg of lean topside into 15mm slices (so its between 5-10mm once all moisture is removed but is still a little chewy - if you like jerky to be hard then go with 10mm slices).

I don't use soy as I'm allergic so I usually just use a couple tablespoons salt, cayenne pepper to taste, ground black pepper, cumin seed or ground, paprika, and pretty much any other spice or herb I have laying around. If you can't tell, I don't measure much bit you need enough salt to cure it but not over power with salt flavour.

I then sprinkle the salt and spice mix over each side of each piece of meat and then put it all in a marinating tray and shake the day lights out of it - you can use a heavy duty plastic bag for this.

Then leave overnight for the flavours to get in.

Next day, spread a single layer of the strips of meat on the dehydrator trays and dry at 65 degrees celcius for 6-8 hours or until it is rubbery. Once it cools, it will go a bit harder.

I usually cut it up while hot and put in snap lock bags and freeze, but if you have most of the moisture out of it, it can last in bags in pantry for a week or two (if it develops white mould on outside I don't eat it) - safer to put in freezer and take it a day before you want to eat it and defrost in fridge or on kitchen bench.

Anyway, that's how I do it in a dehydrator.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby patto » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks wedwards. Lot of good avice there and getting the butcher to cut it up seems to be a great idea.

Cheers

Patrick :teasing-tease:
patto

equipment: Mainly interested in beef jerky making

Postby Sam. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 pm

patto wrote:Thanks wedwards. Lot of good avice there and getting the butcher to cut it up seems to be a great idea.

Cheers

Patrick :teasing-tease:

I like your equipment list :laughing-rolling:

Do you actually have a still :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Good point sam.

Anyone have a good biltong recipie/spice list?
Fond memories of my grandads stuff. He used to have it hanging from the curtain rod in the kitchen. He'd find an edge that had dried out and cut it off, hang the rest back up. Then he'd share it. It was yumm.
Unfortunatly, the old bugger took the recipie with him.

Then guys started raving about jerky. Its ok, but not the same. There is a guy in Dandenong, Vic that makes biltong pretty close.

I found this, can anyone say if it is close to traditonal stuff?
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/biltong-L6139.html
emptyglass

Postby NotBenStiller » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 pm

EG - i use this one posted here a while back
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=741
except with a lot of chilli flakes and pepper added

I use a
http://www.excaliburaust.com/9-tray-exc ... r-timer-11
a bit pricey but works well and was from a local brick and mortar shop.
about 60 degrees for 7 hours
I do still have to move trays round half way thru tho.
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks NBS, I guess its ok if you reccomend it. Sounds a bit like chilli strips.
I'm not a fan of jerky, I guess because I enjoyed my pa's biltong. He was Seth Affriken.

I've only got a $45 copperart/homeart/whateverart they are this financial year de-hydrator. It is adjustable, but it dosn't get real hot. I think one of the big differences between jerky and biltong is biltong is usually air dried. Might be something in the marinade process.
The traditional recipies I found all contain saltpeter. No wonder the stuff was explosive!
emptyglass

Postby kapo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:27 pm

I have what looks like the same dehydrater as the original post in this thread. I have been using it for ages and it works great (and quiet too)

jerky1.jpg
jerky2.jpg

My father inlaw even bought one for himself after he saw the quality of mine - he previously had this noisy round thing that he got from Myer for $60.

In terms of recipes, one thing I always add is curing salt (ie sodium nitrite - not table salt) and cure the meat for 24 hrs prior to dehydrating.
It is the nitrites that give jerky that bacon / salami style taste that I personally like. The meat turns salami red as it dries ...but most important is that curing prevents you from getting botulism from bacteria! I use kwikurit standard. 1 KG only costs about $8 and is enought to cure 750 kg of meat.

I buy it online from here:
http://www.butcherathome.com.au/shop/kwikurit-standard-p-32.html
I also buy all my sausage casings, victorinox knives etc from there too. You can buy various flavoured jerky seasoning kits that already have the sodium nitrite cure included ...this is an expensive way to go though in my opinion (just like home brew shops selling turbo yeast).

Hope that helps somewhat
Kapo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kapo

equipment: ......

Previous

Return to The Tucker Box