Weber kettle recipes

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Weber kettle recipes

Postby Muppet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm sure there's a few guys (and gals) around here that love the humble weber kettle. I've had mine for 8 odd years and use her quite regularly. So what are u cooking with it? I'm Interested in some new ideas and techniques.
I do slow cooked smoked ribs
Beer butt chicken
Smoked whole fish
Any any roast the missus gets
Pizzas
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Re: Weber kettle recipes

Postby Dyno » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Ok...ill kick it off then...here's great pumpkin meal that will feed an army...its not measured accurately as you can vary ithe amounts to the pumpkin size.
Get a medium sized pumpkin, carefully cut top off, start about 75mm from stalk n work yr way round with deep cuts, you shud end up with a plug which is the lid.
Get a spoon n hollow out pumkin, leave about 15mm of flesh around inside
Get about 1kg of diced chicken thigh, 1 cup of rice or penene, basil, garlic, diced capsicum..anything really that takes yr fancy, mix in a bowl then stuff pumkin 3 quarter full, put lid on, smear outside with a little oil and cook indirectly ( 2 full baskets ashed over)for abou 80-90 mins...but here's the kicker...get a piece of hickory about as big as yr index finger an put on grill over coals...dont muck around with sawdust ..use solid wood...enjoy..
Steak cooking tips:
Cover a third of bottom deck with hot coal, about 3 deep..have half a golf ball size piece of hickory over coals and smoking, sear steak over coals directly then move to indirect with lid down for approx quarter of a stubbie....depending on yr prefs...bloody beauty.. :-D
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Brined chicken
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65

Damn that gives it some flavour.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Dyno » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:10 pm

Tips on roast pork:
Get yr lump of pig...rub a heap of vinegar into the skin...slash it up a bit..rub s9me oil in...then salt it down...lump of hickory on grill over coals..cook indiectly for 5-6..stubbies...best crackling eva... :-D
Dyno

Postby Muppet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Nice fellas!!! Dyno how would serve the pumpkin? Just slice er up? Your steak method is similar to mine, tho I only use straight charcoal for steaks.
Ok for my ribs I go to the abs and get the whole front ribs (15" Dino ribs) trim the crap off em and remove the membrane on the bones. Takes a bit of prep but they are worth it. Mix onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and some steak seasoning an give them a good rub. Let sit overnight in the fridge to absorb some flavor.
Grill day set up for indirect, little water in a tray and set the temp around 130c stick em bone side down and slowly smoke for 3 hrs, wrap in foil for 2 hrs, then open again for another hr. finish them directly over coals for 5mins then rest... These things end up so tender and beefy there a dead set winner!
Muppet

Postby SBB » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Dunno if any of you fellas use one of these to get your heat beads going,
But at the moment they have them on special in some Woolies stores for $12-15 ....depends on the store i think, normally they are around $40.
I just bought two as Ive worn my old ones out, I use em for a slightly different purpose, getting beads going for camp oven cooking, they really save time when it comes to getting your beads ashed up and ready to go.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Dyno » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:37 pm

That's the one mate...slice er up...if you over cook it it can get a little mushy but its seriously nice...the smoke absorbs really well on veges...those ribs sound dam good..8m onto that this weekend..here's acouple of vege tips
Cabbage...make a tin foil poich..large one..fill with shredded cabbage, big knob of butter...mint sauce...half cup of water and ground salt...close up..co9k about 15mins
Spuds:Scallop 3 quarter way through...press butter in to them...salt...wrap in foil an cook for about 20min...these 2 are my faves an they come out just awes9m...remember the hickory too...
Dyno

Postby Dyno » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:43 pm

SBB wrote:Dunno if any of you fellas use one of these to get your heat beads going,
But at the moment they have them on special in some Woolies stores for $12-15 ....depends on the store i think, normally they are around $40.
I just bought two as Ive worn my old ones out, I use em for a slightly different purpose, getting beads going for camp oven cooking, they really save time when it comes to getting your beads ashed up and ready to go.

I've looked at those but as I have a gas kit on the kettle...its just a case of putting the baskets over the gas jet for 10mins an its away...one of those wud be handy for the little rectangular weber which I take camping ..its hard to light as its not deep enuff..good price too hey ?
Dyno

Postby 1 2many » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Dyno wrote:
SBB wrote:Dunno if any of you fellas use one of these to get your heat beads going,

I've looked at those but as I have a gas kit on the kettle...its just a case of putting the baskets over the gas jet for 10mins an its away...one of those wud be handy for the little rectangular weber which I take camping ..its hard to light as its not deep enuff..good price too hey ?

they do work well i bought one for sparking up the rectangular webber too , i just couldn't get to work as well in the actual weber . $12-15 is a reasonable price i payed the bigg $40 but is still in good nick.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Lowndsey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:59 pm

they are good if you are cooking a super bigarsed roast and you need to add more coals towards the end
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby SBB » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:18 pm

By the way , for that price they come with a small bag of beads as well, forgot to mention it before.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Weber kettle recipes

Postby wedwards » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:00 pm

I cook almost all meats on my weber. Cook an American style chicken wings almost every week. It's just some franks hot sauce poured into a plastic bag with a kilo or 2 of wings, and let marinate for at least overnight. Then out on weber using indirect heat for an hour or until done. Best spicy wings you will ever have and they are so cheap as well. My kids demolish them in record time while chugging glasses of water to combat the heat haha

Did a Tuscan pork belly for dinner last night. It was just some garlic powder, chilli flakes, mixed herbs, salt and pepper into a plastic bag with the pork belly and some olive oil. Leave overnight and cook for an hour or so on indirect heat. I usually add some more olive oil and salt to the skin before cooking to make nice crackle. For perfect crackle don't open weber for at least an hour after putting it on.

Another good one is beer can chicken - cooks a full chicken perfectly in under an hour. Perfectly crunchy skin and tender meat inside. Stuff with some lemons, and sprinkle thyme and salt all over the outside.

Now I'm hungry
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:20 am

Not so much a recipe but about charcoal for Webbers
Bunning's policy bring in a docket and we will match it
Bunning's the other side of the city marked hot rock charcoal from $12.00 to $2.50 a box
So I took in the docket match this no sorry its a one of special
So went home and rang head office told my story they said no also
That's ok I am a member of a 10,000 bbq forum they buy of Bunning's this story is going on the internet in the next ten minutes hung up phone immediately rand this is Bunning's su;';;y How many boxes would you like at $2.50
I will have the lot thanks 30 boxes
Morale of the story don't let them try to put it over you :razz:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Muppet » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:29 am

wedwards wrote:
Another good one is beer can chicken - cooks a full chicken perfectly in under an hour. Perfectly crunchy skin and tender meat inside. Stuff with some lemons, and sprinkle thyme and salt all over the outside.

Now I'm hungry

Beer can chicken (beer butt as the kids call it) is a favorite for our family, actually cooked one last night, slowly cooked for 3 hrs and man it was juicy and tender, cook it a little lower and longer it goes so tender u can hardly carve it ;) I like the ideas coming out here, perfect timing for summer. Think ill give ur wings a go mate :happy-partydance:
Muppet

Postby Dyno » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 am

One of these would be great, I think they ship to Aus http://www.kettlepizza.com/?gclid=CIPS3 ... pAodkAsAFQ ..theres plenty of metal workers on here...Co-op ????... :))...they allow extra height so you can put another rack in there for vege's or whatever
Dyno

Weber kettle recipes

Postby wedwards » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Muppet wrote:Think ill give ur wings a go mate :happy-partydance:

One thing I forgot to mention is once they are cooked you either put them in a tray and douse them with more franks hot sauce and a bit of a shake to give them a nice coating, or use franks as a dipping sauce. Just gives a nice extra heat kick that I like.
Last edited by 1 2many on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Muppet » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:04 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is once they are cooked you either put them in a tray and douse them with more franks hot sauce and a bit of a shake to give them a nice coating, or use franks as a dipping sauce. Just gives a nice extra heat kick that I like

Ill give em a crack mate, tried dynos vegies tonight and hafta say they are worth a go, did garlic butter spuds and his mint cabbage, been doin 4on 1off all year so having 8 weeks off for summer. Gives me plenty of time to play with the still and me weber ;) keep em coming fellas
Last edited by 1 2many on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Muppet

Postby Dyno » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Haha..good onya muppet...I forgot to mention the garlic on the spuds...doh...good to see you have a good break from wk too...a man needs a bit of time to eat n drink an do it all again the next day..
Dyno

Postby Muppet » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:58 am

dogbreath vodka wrote:Brined chicken
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65

Damn that gives it some flavour.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
DBV

Finally got around to trying this! This is without a doubt my new go to chicken recipe. Cheers!
Muppet

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:59 pm

:text-+1: on the brined chook
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Next

Return to The Tucker Box