Smoker

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Smoker

Postby Linny » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Not really a cold smoker , but a smoker non the less..... i was going to make a Big Ugly Drum Smoker , down sizing using a keg ... after talking to the Mrs with a few ideas she came home today with this a smoker from masters ,,,, looks the part

Had two attempts at the GAS BBQ smoking ,,, works well and has potential BUT holy SH#T it uses some gas .... about a month ago i showed this in passing to the Mrs at masters .... $ 70 for the smoker , $15 hickory chuncks, $10 charcol fuel , $20 for a pizza stone plate... so every one is happy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Re: Smoker

Postby BIG D » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I love masters sooo much! :laughing-rolling:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Smoker

Postby wedwards » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:28 pm

I just got a weber smokey mountain using credit card points converted to barbecues galore vouchers - did some ribs on it last weekend. Best damn purchase I've ever made I reckon. Yours looks like a nice knock off of the smokey mountain style smokers. You will make some damn good food on that thing. I'm making some more 6 hour ribs this Friday for the Anzac Day football here in Victoria - might throw a couple chickens on it as well just for good measure. I've got a gas smoker as well, and now I can't get rid of the thing fast enough.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Got myself two spare kegs now i got a big boiler built my mate built one out of a keg so im gunna give it a crack. 70 bucks what a bargain wondering how good it will last over the years? For 70 bucks i think screw it ill just get one but i like how long lasting staino is
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby Smbjk » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Linny wrote:Not really a cold smoker , but a smoker non the less..... i was going to make a Big Ugly Drum Smoker , down sizing using a keg ... after talking to the Mrs with a few ideas she came home today with this a smoker from masters ,,,, looks the part

Had two attempts at the GAS BBQ smoking ,,, works well and has potential BUT holy SH#T it uses some gas .... about a month ago i showed this in passing to the Mrs at masters .... $ 70 for the smoker , $15 hickory chuncks, $10 charcol fuel , $20 for a pizza stone plate... so every one is happy

Nice buy mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: masters getting but up the road, can't wait :D why you buy hickory chunks though, thouht you whould have had a ton of spent american oak :D
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Yeah I use expiredoak, does the job :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have been smashing the weber kettle lately, ribs, chooks etc.

One thing I have learnt is that brining the meat before roasting/smoking improves the moisture and flavour greatly. I will brine nearly everything that goes on my grill now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Scales82 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:39 pm

wow that looks awesome!
I got a little smoker like this that i use on fish but thats about it.

It works great for fish fillets. but never tried it for meats etc.

How do you operate such a behemoth? My closest masters is 350km away, but im due to go up there soon so might look at getting one myself at that price!!!
Scales82

equipment: 5L Pot,
25L CM Nixon
both from HBS (and being retired)
2" BOKA LM in constuction
VM addon and Pot also planned

Postby Scales82 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:30 pm

found this while researching this thing. he's painful to listen to, but he has a few good vids on these things.

Scales82

25L CM Nixon

Postby NotBenStiller » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Scales82 wrote:wow that looks awesome!
I got a little smoker like this that i use on fish but thats about it.

It works great for fish fillets. but never tried it for meats etc.

Got one of those little things myself.
Been considering recently about getting a http://www.kamadojoe.com/index.php
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Scales82 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:29 pm

looks rad, $1000 bucks though. it'd want to be.
Scales82

25L CM Nixon

Postby Linny » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Scales82 wrote:found this while researching this thing. he's painful to listen to, but he has a few good vids on these things.

I saw that , i was going to do the same on the vents ,,, but ill probably hook up a electric blower to it with a controller bahahahaha ,
Linny

Postby Muppet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Those things are brilliant to learn on. Mine used to fluctuate a bit but it will help build your skills. I ended up keeping as much wind off it as possible. (Stick it in a protected corner, windbreak) then it's just heat/coals to keep an eye on. Snaked beads worked the best. Enjoy thats a fun toy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Danish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 pm

smoking is another very time consuming hobby, you find yourself thinking "i could smoke that" every time you see a good bit of meat. I go out to my brother in law in the bush and do some smoking/drinking, and found this chart very helpfull, since we only use native timbers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danish

equipment: 2" pot and vm reflux still, build by 7Evan

Postby Linny » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Here is the chart I use for temps , ive put dampers on mine and has worked a treat
Last edited by Brendan on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed missing words
Linny

Postby BIG D » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:59 am

Danish wrote:smoking is another very time consuming hobby, you find yourself thinking "i could smoke that" every time you see a good bit of meat. I go out to my brother in law in the bush and do some smoking/drinking, and found this chart very helpfull, since we only use native timbers.

Cooking low and slow is great :handgestures-thumbupleft: the meat thing hasn't happened yet I'm probably not adventurous enough I just stick with brisket.
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby bt1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:15 am

Been pissing about doing smoked bacons over the past months.

Popped into local Master Butchers League (MBL), got 2kg bag of kwikcure for like nothing, worked out correct ratios for use and away.

For the rum heads, molasses curing then a gentle red gum smoking produces a bloody nice result. Maple, Golden syrup, brown sugar ain't too shabby either.

Use a small weber it uses bugger all heat beads stacked to one side and water pans as well.

Well worth a try for anyone sitting there with an under used weber.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Linny » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:11 am

Mates use this for his webber and it works well as it can also hold water , its called the smokenator, but he just made one out of sheet metal that was laying around
Linny

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:03 am

bt1 wrote:
Use a small weber it uses bugger all heat beads stacked to one side and water pans as well
bt1

Try using hardwoood charcoal, my goods improved vastly after kicking the beads! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I use leftovers from the fire drum and kickstart with some fores, or just light a fire directy in the weber and cook when the fire has reduced to coals.

Needs a bit more attention than beads as beads are a consistent smoulder..

Cheap as chips and no petrol odour from beads :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby Muppet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:57 am

We have upgraded to a Treager Junior this summer. Nothing wrong with it, runs on a electrically controlled auger/blower using wood pellets. Its basicly a set and forget deal once she's tuned. It has however taken the fun out of it for me. Quite enjoy tending my webber.
Image personally never bothered with the sheet section in my webber, more versatile without.
Best gains made- bead control (lay beads in a connected snake. Light from one end)
- purchased a quality remote meat thermo
- leave the drinking until later in the day
:laughing-rolling:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:45 pm

:text-+1: on snake method. All my low and slows get the snake. I love my weber, got 2 of em :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brining is essential, cannot stress this enough. Even for a roast chook in the oven, whack it in the salt water the night before and you'll be amazed. Then just play with flavours.

But a combined 18 years as a chefs between me n mrs zeb wtf would I know :))
Urrazeb

Next

Return to The Tucker Box