Smoker

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Re: Smoker

Postby Iffy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:42 am

Urrazeb wrote:Iffy is the bottom (of the old webber) completely open?

The base of the webber is there, only an extra hole cut in it for the gas burner to go through. The webber lid fits perfectly on the top of the cut-off drum.

whiskeyshiner wrote:Can you make jerky with these things or do you have to use a dehydrator i noticed someone mention biltong and my eyes lit up :laughing-rolling:

I make biltong with mine, I have the gas burner on real low and maintain 70-80 deg C for hours after ive cold smoked it while doing the cheese.

bt1 wrote:Smoked cheeses Yum... on it now :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Smoked cheese is Awsome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Iffy

equipment: 50l Keg boiler w/2x2200W Elements
FSD 4" Pot              \
FSD MAC 4 SSG       - Gotta Love Modular!!
FSD 4" Neutralizer  /

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:57 am

I got a Hark gas smoker for my birthday recently and have used it once so far. I cooked a lump of brisket, injected with a garlic,onion, hickory sauce, salt/pepper mix and rubbed with an American bbq hickory rub. I also coated some pork baby back ribs in the dry rub.

I used hickory chips in the smoker and cooked the meat for about 6 hours on 100c. Have to say, one of the best ways to cook meat and was the best flavoured, most tender BBQ I have ever had! :music-deathmetal:

This is the Hark;

image.jpg

Think they are around $299 delivered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby 1 2many » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Iffy wrote:Ive converted a webber into a smoker / dryer, i've chopped off the top half of a 44 and bolted it to the webber base.

Just looking at your pic with your 44g extension, is that a lid lock down ring holding the extension to the webber?

Do you have any more pics?

I like your idea and wanted to know how good a fit the 44 ext fitted the 57 cm webber. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Iffy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Yes, that is the lid lock ring.
im not sure of the size of my webber, i thought they only came in one size...
Here are some dodgy pics of my smoker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iffy

FSD 4" Neutralizer  /

Postby Muppet » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Yep, thats a 57cm. Also a really good setup Iffy.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Iffy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 am

It works well for cold smoking and also doing biltong/jerky with the gas ring.
my next one will be a texas offset style smoker for doing roasts and tne such.
Iffy

FSD 4" Neutralizer  /

Postby 1 2many » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Thanks Iffy, nice simple extension. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby bigcam » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:43 pm

made it last year full staino the drum itself is bigger than a 205 liter drum all round the little fire pot on the right is a bit under powered so will be looking for a beer barrel for a fire
bigcam

equipment: upgraded 110lt gas fired boiler
24lt inline thumper
4 inch x 4 plate with 4 inch shotty with parrot

Postby Muppet » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:51 pm

Theres a awesome offset smoker waiting there, keg on the right hand side chimney on the left, Google Texas offset :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Muppet

Postby bigcam » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:07 pm

yeah ive seen the offset smokers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
most of it was free so just made what i could out of what i had
shes a bit rough but only has a stick welder to make it with but on the other hand it could fall off a ute and not break much :laughing-rolling:
bigcam

equipment: upgraded 110lt gas fired boiler
24lt inline thumper
4 inch x 4 plate with 4 inch shotty with parrot

Postby 1 2many » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:08 pm

I like the idea of cold smokers similar to design of this

Any one tried these, simple to make :think:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby skurvy84 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:08 pm

1 2many wrote:I like the idea of cold smokers similar to design of this

Any one tried these, simple to make :think:

These is based around the venturi principle if I remember correctly. Very popular and easy to use I think. Also very easy to diy one.

Im currently getting bits and pieces together to build a "cocktail shaker cold smoker" for my jerky, cheese etc and hopefully play with making my own liquid smoke.
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Postby 1 2many » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:14 pm

I have enough bit laying around I might put one together just for fun. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Muppet » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:00 pm

Today we have treager smoked short ribs :happy-partydance:

Muppet

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:07 pm

What time is t looks like a good cut of meat. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Triangle » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:45 pm

All the BBQ/Weber/slow cook talk on here has got me salivating.........

Thinking about buying a smoker and not sure what to go for so anyone have any ideas/brands etc? Mainly for slow cooked meats, smoked fish and I'd like to cold smoke cheese too.

Does anyone know what the Masterbuilt smokers are like? They sure look good but they also seem pricey, I'm guessing there is a reason why.

Also can you run and electric smoker inside at all (you can tell I haven't used one if the answer is a resounding no!).

Cheer guys.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Muppet » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:38 pm

As for entry level starter setups I like the old school webers although the hark Gas jobs get good feedback (I have never used one) Bullet smokers are good things, Weber being a more expensive option although BigD and Linny use the masters version with success it seems. Theres many options which all will take some learning. The first question you will need answered is are you the tend the fire, play with the vents type (I am) or are you after something set and forget (more user friendly)
Id class pellet cookers (Treager, GMG, Yoder) and the Hark gas smokers as more User friendly
Weber, Bullet, Kamado's, UDS etc as a more play with the fire Keep an eye on it type (although once kamados are stable they are solid) Either way a good Duel probe thermo is a worthwhile investment.

You wouldnt use them inside without a industrial extraction system haha :D
My favorite Q is the Kamado, Hands down.
Muppet

Postby Dingo Charlie » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:26 pm

I'm building a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) at the moment.......'cause I can't afford a Kamado. Hopefully I'll have some pics soon.
Dingo Charlie

equipment: MAC 4" FSD Bubble Plate Still
FSD 4" packed section (full of copper mesh)
50L keg boiler
Twin 2400W Elements with power controller
1000L IBC and Pump

Postby 1 2many » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:57 pm

Dingo Charlie wrote:I'm building a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) at the moment.......'cause I can't afford a Kamado. Hopefully I'll have some pics soon.

Would love to see the pics of your build mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby skurvy84 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:17 pm

I recently picked up the masterbuilt vertical smoker/grill and did the daytripper set of mods to it. Was a really good cooker before the mods and made some tasty meals but with the raised grate and additional dampers its makes it even better. Longest cook I've done in the little one was 13hrs and used the snake method with my charcoals. Pork shoulder came out amazing and didnt last with the wife and the littleone tucking to it.
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

PreviousNext

Return to The Tucker Box