Easy Beef Jerky

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Easy Beef Jerky

Postby Jimmy1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 am

I use this base for my jerky all the time,
About 1.5kg beef strips with no fat at all otherwise the jerky will go rancid. It is easier to cut steaks as thin as you can and cut them to the size of your palm. (slightly freezing the meat makes it easier to slice)
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup of BBQ sauce
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Then I flavour it with what ever I want from chilli sauce, more garlic, honey, and even sprinkle some season all just before I dehydrate it.
I let it marinate for a few days to get the salts to start preserving the jerky.
Then I dehydrate the meat for approx 6hrs depending how dry you like it (6hrs makes it fairly dry)
On occassions halfway through drying I smoke the meat in a fish smoker used bourbon chips, then I put it back into the dehydrator to finish.
The dehydrator I use is similar to this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Hottop-Adjustable-Food-Dehydrator-w-Removable-Trays-/390339348255?pt=AU_SmallKitchenAppliances&hash=item5ae209c71f but there are better ones for sale now by the looks of things
Jimmy1

equipment: 2" Ultra Pure still ... Like a Boka just expensive
25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot
50L keg with 4 ring burner

Re: Easy Beef Jerky

Postby jamjar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:06 am

How long will it last for in the fridge after drying?
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby Jimmy1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:34 pm

I dont keep it in the fridge because there is too much moisture in the air, but if all of the fat is removed and it is dried out fully (not like leather) I've had it last longer then a month in a sealed container with some paper towel to take up any moisture. The trouble is once you start eating it it doesn't last long :lol:
Jimmy1

25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot

Postby R-sole » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:29 pm

I do a mean jerky, was a very big sideline buisnes, i still sell a fair bit, but tend to only do some if someone orders a kilo or more nowadays. Too time consuming.

Your marinade sounds good, although i don't add salt (but do add sodium nitrate in the form of ham cure).

A little smoke goes a long way with jerky...

jerky1.jpg

jerky6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Jimmy1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Ham cure sends shivers down my spine 5Star lol (ex butcher and cooking hams and bacon 24/7 for 2 months before xmas was not fun)
Today I put down a recipe that included real maple syrup and brown sugar, and I will be smoking it to resemble a canadian ham... I hope
:shock: How big is your smoker :shock: 1kg of of jerky would call for nearly 5kgs of meat
Jimmy1

25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot

Postby R-sole » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Yep, i get about 1.5kg of jerky per run.

Haven't got any latletly pics, but the old smoker was an 18 gallon keg, the new one is a 5 shelf computer box...

smoker1.jpg

smokedchicken1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby 8-ball » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:25 pm

not to side track this thread but 5Star can you post some specs and pics on your smoker please,
looking at building one rather than using the dehydrator I've got
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby R-sole » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 am

I'll start another thread and stop the hijack. :doh:

Sorry OP.
R-sole

Postby cdbrown » Mon May 07, 2012 4:36 pm

i made my second batch of jerky the other day.

Get the topside roast and put it in the freezer for 30-45 mins which makes it a lot easier to cut. (last batch wasn't topside so had fat and gristle in the meat which is annoying)
Trim off the fat, cut into steaks and then again into thin strips.
Put them into a large ziplock bag as it's easier to massage the marinade into the meat than if it's in a bowl.
I generally don't measure but my first lot was way too salty due to the majority of the marinade being soy. This last time I used soy (not the thick stuff), HP, worcestershire and tomato sauces. I also added a bit of honey. As for powders I add a whack of keens curry powder, some onion powder, pepper, chilli powder, bbq mix (some grinder pack from woollies), cayenne and coriander powder. Basically any powder you want.
Give the marinade and meat a good massage to mix everything together and make sure all the meat is coated - top up with sauces if there's not enough in there. Taste the marinade to see if it's the flavour you want - adjust as needed.
Put it in the fridge and massage, flip over when ever you think about it. I try to leave it for at least a day.
Lay out the pieces on the dehydrator racks and then I sprinkled on chilli flakes on some of the racks.
Dehydrate for as long as needed to dry it out, rotating the trays every hour or so.
Let cool before storing in air tight container.
Eat and enjoy!
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby R-sole » Mon May 07, 2012 5:09 pm

I trimmed up a full box of topsides this morning. 25 kg in 4 roasts turned into six large ziplocks of chunks as big as half a loaf of bread. Cleaned of all fat and into the freezer.

I'll get one out at a time as it's about 4-5 kg to fill my smoker.

Defrost till icy but not hard and slice, marinate in ziplocks for minimum of two days.

I always add nitrites in the form of commercial ham cure.
R-sole

Postby maheel » Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

hey guys have you ever used round / knuckle with the caps off ?

they always look very lean to me if you get the caps off, but then i guess there is the "shin" on the backside that is a little grisly (but good for curry / mince)
maheel

Postby Cane Toad » Mon May 07, 2012 6:09 pm

Hey 5Star,when my order is ready,you may have to include a kilo of your jerky,seeing as though I've saved a few coins :D :D As long as it ain't too chilliey
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby R-sole » Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Can do mate. i do a Teryiaki Pepper (my original and favourite) that has a strong pepper bite, but little chilli flavour.

$80 will see you with a kilo and still ahead. 8-)
R-sole

Postby Jimmy1 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 am

maheel wrote:hey guys have you ever used round / knuckle with the caps off ?

they always look very lean to me if you get the caps off, but then i guess there is the "shin" on the backside that is a little grisly (but good for curry / mince)

If you can get the cap off knuckles Maheel cheaper they would be fine, but that silver skin runs though two seams in the middle of the round which is easy enough to follow with a knife. There are three round muscles side by side and a flat one one the bottom. But with no fat on them the trimming would be much the same as topside would be. Plus you can use these offcuts in a slow cooker :D
Jimmy1

25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot

Return to The Tucker Box