Cold Smoker

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Cold Smoker

Postby R-sole » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:15 am

As requested some pics of my Smoker build...

I used to have one made from and 80l (18 imp gallon) keg. It had a small stainless box at the bottom connected to the top keg. The box had a small stove element under it to create smoke and the keg had a slightly larger element in it to control the heat.
Doing jerky i like to give it onlly an hour or so of smoke, but doing bacon or chicken you want smoke the whole time. It's important to have low heat so the food cures rather than cooks....

The old smoker..

smoker1.jpg

I found that it was a bit of hassle with the tray attachment once i started doing Jerky commercially and i wanted to install a fan for that to increase the airflow, so a mate had an old electrical data box he thought would suit and i found a small stand on wheels off something at the tip...

smokernew2.jpg

I guess the box is about 2' on each side.

I bought a pie warmer element to go in the bottom of the box and a small stove element to go in the base to create the smoke. I put a fan forced oven fan in the bottom to draw air (smoke) from the bottom to the top box and put a switch in to have it off or on. After some use the fan clapped out and i ended up installing a 4" 240 fan in the back of the unit which is still going strong...

smokernew7.jpg

I attached some angle for brackets and cut some stainless mesh for shelves. I managed five shelves, which hold about 4-5 kilos of sliced meat...

I use an old cast frypan to hold soaked sticks and chunks to create the smoke.

smokernew10.jpg

Just about anything can be used with a bit of ingenuity, i think the main considerations are air movement, controlling heat in the main chamber and a way to create smiooke that is seperate for your main heat control.
That's where many of the commercial home smokers fall down as they use the main heat control to create smoke, causing them to be hot smokers even though they're advertised as cold smokers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Re: Cold Smoker

Postby 8-ball » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:30 am

cheers 5Star :text-thankyoublue:
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Did some smoked chicken thighs yesterday.

last time i did marylands, and for some reason the skin turned out tough as leather.
I think i've figured it out as a temp thing. The meat was still beautiful though a little drier than i've done this lot..

Last ones..

smokedchicken1.jpg

I did these ones in a ham cure brine with some extra sugar and spices, pumped and marinated for 3 days and then col smoked for 12 hours.
They came up fantastically juicy and tender...

smokedchicken2.jpg

ApologiesForTheCrossPostPunkin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Rockchucker22 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:45 am

I just bought a plane ticket, don't eat them all 5Star I'm on the way! :teasing-tease:
Rockchucker22

equipment: 4" plater 4" pot 4" thump tower

Return to The Tucker Box