controlling with power?

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

controlling with power?

Postby rash » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Just wondering if you can control a bubbler with power more so than the reflux condenser. Instead of throwing lots of power in and controlling output with the RC, could the RC be set and reduce power to the element to slow down output? Maybe get the top plate only just bubbling? Or is it better to get vigorous bubbling on top plate and knock back bulk vapour with RC water flow?
My bubbler is a 3" with 4 plates. Element is 3600w, and i have a power controller. No idea as to what power i am throwing at it after heat up, i just turn it down a bit to prevent puking.
Just thought maybe i could turn it right down so top plate is only just "simmering". Less chance of puking ( had big puking dramas on my last rum wash) - but not sure if this will affect heads hearts tails separation. ..
Thanks,
Ash
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

Re: controlling with power?

Postby woodduck » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:24 pm

The short answer is yes you can. That's how I run mine but you have to be careful you don't overpower it like it sounds you may have. 3600w on a 3" is pretty big, that's what i run my 4" on but even then I don't use all 3600watts.

Things to consider,
rc size, the bigger it is the more power needed, the higher the chance of smearing.

Running a still too hard can cause puking, which by the sounds of it you've had problems with.

Flooding, too much reflux which if your down commers aren't big enough can cause the liquid to sit on the plates and stay too high in the still and not reflux/mix with vapour properly causing smearing.

You want a fairly vigorous bubble but not so much as to spray large amounts of liquid around or bubble so hard that it makes the colomn shake and rock, yes you can get them going that hard especially if it starts to flood :?

Finding the right balance may take a few runs but with trial and error you will find what suits you.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby rumsponge » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:54 am

:text-+1:
No idea as to what power i am throwing at it after heat up, i just turn it down a bit to prevent puking.

Install a volt/amp meter on the outlet site of your controller. Knowing how much power you throw at it is useful to repeat results and run strategies.
You can get cheapo volt/amp meter combos for less than 10 bucks and they are easy to install if you know what you are doing
cheers rs
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Lowie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:21 pm

That's exactly how I control puking in my rum washes. Also reduces your water consumption :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:46 pm

I would consider trying stripping ya wash first,dilute to less than 40%abv ,then run thru ya bubbler,as the less power ya throw at it the longer a run takes,and it does not matter ifn ya get a little puke in the strip run,its a much easier run stratergy for problimatic foaming rum or grain wash's in my opinion,some use a little oil or distilling conditiona in the boiler ta help reduce foaming but I have had a couple that it made little ta no difference,and found the strip and run option made still cleaning easier and runs very predictable and repeatable.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby rash » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:58 pm

Thanks for the replys guys, will have to experiment with the power input a bit more.
Will also look at a volt/amp meter to keep things consistant.
I am pretty sure the last rum wash could have done with a couple more days to settle as the wash before it behaved fairly well.
I didnt really want to have to do stripping runs, i like the idea of a single pass now that i have moved on from my little old pot still..
Thanks,
Ash
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

Postby scythe » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:23 am

This is the reason im making my rc 80mm and not 120mm high.
Set the RC to a medium rate and slowly increase power till you get your desired output rate.

If you run out of power from your element just decrease RC flow.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby coffe addict » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:04 am

To work out what power your still can handle have the rc open full get it upto to temp with the minimum power and every five mins increase power. When you start to flood back off slightly this point should be considered the maximum power you ever run with. This changes with as the % of wash changes.

I usually get my fores dripping with 2.4kw and increase power to get desired output once fores are bled off. I find that this gives alot of flavour with no smearing and a take-off rate I'm happy with.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby coffe addict » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:07 am

scythe wrote:This is the reason im making my rc 80mm and not 120mm high.
Set the RC to a medium rate and slowly increase power till you get your desired output rate.

If you run out of power from your element just decrease RC flow.

My rc is 120mm and crazy efficient but with a needle valve cutting flow right back I still run with power management but it'll also hold 100% reflux with anything I can throw at it.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Return to Plated Column Stills