Making neutrals with bubblers - packed columns

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Making neutrals with bubblers - packed columns

Postby Jimmy. » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 am

Good morning all

I am looking at bubblers as an upgrade in the near future. How are people making/ packing a column for quality neutrals?
I like the idea of people able to add an extra attachment to have flavored gin etc as well
Most I have read are using them for whiskeys and rums etc.

Cheers
Jimmy.

equipment: still spirit 25l reflux still with column extension

Re: Making neutrals with bubblers - packed columns

Postby EziTasting » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:44 am

G'Day Jimmy,
the attachments are used after we have made the neutral, not at the same time... just to clarify.

I have a 500mml packed section into which I typically add 2 rolls of copper mesh (top & bottom) and fill the space between them with SS scrubbers (NOT from China - they corrode! Not even sure they are actually SS or what grade they are). I usual put this above my 4 plates and underneath my RC to maximise the reflux potential... I also strip my neutral before I do a spirit run in the above mentioned configuration. Spirit run is done WITH cuts!

Once you have your neutral (selected cuts), that is when you would dilute it to 40% and re-run it thru your still with the 'attachments' for making Gin.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby DaveZ » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:10 am

I do the same as EZI except I fill the packed section with lava rock. Works really well, just need to give it a good rinse and a boil to clean it up after a few runs.

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby The Stig » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:13 am

:text-+1:
What he said ^:)^
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RC Al » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 am

The longer the packed section, the better. The product dosent have to do as many trips up and down the column and your take off speed or quality will be higher
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby coffe addict » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 am

:text-+1: with all of the above. There's also other options. I've been using 5plates to strip and take rough cuts watering back to 40% and then running again with a 1.41m lava rock packed section. This is making excellent neutral. Then it gets run a third time for gin.

There's many ways to skin the cat you'll need to play around to see what suits your needs.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Joycy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:21 pm

coffe addict wrote::text-+1: with all of the above. There's also other options. I've been using 5plates to strip and take rough cuts watering back to 40% and then running again with a 1.41m lava rock packed section. This is making excellent neutral. Then it gets run a third time for gin.

There's many ways to skin the cat you'll need to play around to see what suits your needs.

Are you using an inline gin basket for your botanicals? 1.4m packed section, wow that must be easily doing the job of 15 plates :smile:
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

Postby Ned » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm

DaveZ wrote:I do the same as EZI except I fill the packed section with lava rock. Works really well, just need to give it a good rinse and a boil to clean it up after a few runs.

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Dave,
Where did you get your lave rock (scoria) from and do you grade the size of the rock. If so approximately what size

Cheers

Ned
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby coffe addict » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Big green shed comes graded @7mm to 14mm
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby DaveZ » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Ned wrote:Hi Dave,
Where did you get your lave rock (scoria) from and do you grade the size of the rock. If so approximately what size

Cheers

Ned

Hi Ned, it was about 5 years ago I bought it, pretty sure I just got it on eBay and would be 10mm or so sized pieces. Seems to work really well. Just don't sniff the scoria after it's done a couple runs :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :puke-huge: :puke-huge: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby PeterC » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:08 pm

I use stainless steel scrubbies like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/sabco-profe ... k_p4460722 in my packed section but maybe I can use this? https://www.bunnings.com.au/dalson-3kg- ... k_p3173371 I will go and check the sizing.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby coffe addict » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Nah that'll be large rocks. You want the small garden pebble ones. They're a pain to wash.
coffe addict

Postby DaveZ » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:00 pm

DaveZ

Postby Plumby » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Most landscape yards should have it also, it was all the rage a few years ago we used heaps of it.
You might be able to go to your local landscape yard and cherry pick what you want out of their bulk supply for less than the big green shed sells a big bag for.
Just a thought.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Lowie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:11 pm

I have a 600mm section which I pack with 3 rolls of copper mesh. Like Ezi, above the plates and below the RC.
No point stripping prior to running a spirit run. Run your wash straight up with your botanical basket (if you have one). That's one of the beauties of a bubbler. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby RC Al » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Plumby got a yard or two in seq to try? Only found it at $400/cubic so far
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:56 pm

You probably won't need the whole cubic meter :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby RC Al » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:02 pm

Lols, the other factor is I don't need enough to make the trip, It's a good way away from where I usually visit, it's on the sw side of brissy, if I could get a trailer load there at vic rates I'd make the trip, sadly a big green shed bag or two and a hammer is most likely in my future
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby coffe addict » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:03 am

Lowie wrote:No point stripping prior to running a spirit run

That's not my experience, sure what you end up with will be drinkable but certainly not neutral. Ymmv
coffe addict

Postby The Stig » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 am

coffe addict wrote:
Lowie wrote:No point stripping prior to running a spirit run

That's not my experience, sure what you end up with will be drinkable but certainly not neutral. Ymmv

It depends on the wash, a weet-bix wash run nice and slow will be a great sipping vodka after a single run :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills