Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Ok sweet thanks fellas..
bluc

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby rumsponge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:19 am

Does output rate change between heads hearts tails? Guessing no cause mac says dont touch the rc...

Output does drop slightly over the run, especially when the ABV in the parrot drops significantly towards the end of the run (tails) . You can increase heating power to compensate and/or (since you are likely in tails territory anyway) close the RC valve a bit more to collect your feints more rapidly.
cheers rs
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:52 am

With three plates mine slows through the run but once I'm at the back end of hearts I up the power slightly to hold tails back and keep an acceptable take off rate.
There's many ways to skin a cat and it's going to be slightly different on your still compared to any other still due to it being a unique build.
Finding it's sweet spot and a good run strategy is half the fun, though you probably won't think that till you've mastered it :laughing-rolling:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby bluc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 am

:laughing-rolling:
bluc

Postby scythe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 am

Coffee:
How does increasing power input hold tails back?
I would have thought increasing cooling or reducing power would slow tails down.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Wouldnt increasing power also increase boil off rate which would increase reflux? Or would the extra just push past the rc if you didnt adjust it? :-B
bluc

Postby woodduck » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:10 pm

If the rc is set at a take off rate (not full reflux that would be different) it can only hold that amount of vapor back anymore power and it would push more vapor past as that amount of water through the rc is only capable of holding that much vapor. If you want more reflux you need more water through the rc to hold more back in conjunction with more power to push more vapor up the colomn.
woodduck

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Yea that was my thought also would just increase takeoff.
bluc

Postby Dig Brinker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Increase power to run out tails (or lessen reflux cooling) or increase reflux cooling/lower power input to hold off tails. Or throw back into full reflux to maybe collect another jar or two of hearts.
All written in the above pages :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby TBone » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Borneogoat wrote:
woodduck wrote:To me if the dropping in % is not a wash problem it must be a reflux problem (more reflux means higher % alc) but not sure which one, leaking or not enough rc cooling. If his lph alcohol output doesn't change how can cooling water be affecting it? The reflux in the still is governed by the power input and the rc cooling. If the power stays the same but the cooling warms up there will be less reflux yes but only because the rc will be letting more vapor past it just like turning the rc tap off. I just don't think warm water would be enough to have this affect unless it is really warm, if I'm running on 2400w I need to have my rc nearly off (1/4 of a turn on a gate valve max) before I get any output to my parrot.

But in saying all this maybe his lph have jumped a bit without him noticing it?

Are you having to adjust your rc all the time through the run?

I would be checking my plates for leaks first as it's the simplest one to test :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm leaning towards an unnoticed leak(s) being possible. The LPH of my product is not changing and once my needle valve is in the sweet spot, the flow is steady. No fiddling with the RC valve unless the weather changes significantly. I use the lap timer on my phone to keep track of the flow: 320ml mark on my jars take about 8min normally (2.4 LPH). I also tried slowing things down to 320ml = 10min = 1.9 LPH. The slower rate increased the ABV, but only marginally and the effect faded after a jar or two. My cooling water last run started at 13C with a few bags of ice. By the end I had used 10x bags, most of the run was around 16-19C, and ended around 22C. All temps mentioned are the general temp of my reservoir, as opposed to the temp of my condenser outflows.

Any updates on this Mr Goat? Hows your runs going these days?
TBone

equipment: 5 Star Mac 4 SSG
50L keg boiler
Grainfather brewing system

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills