Is it a bubbler?

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Is it a bubbler?

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:08 am

Hi guys, excuse my inexperience on knowing what's what. My still builder showed me a full custom build to the owners spec's. All the lads here seem to love bubblers so you fellas are the best personal to ask.
The still is called a vodka still (in Kentucky anyway lol) it's 8" round and goes straight up in a tower off the 80 gallon CAN, It has 7 plates inside but no sight glasses or windows in the tower. It looks to be one big whole section

Is that still a bubbler ????? (no pun intended) :think: :doh:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Re: Is it a bubbler?

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:26 am

I would say yes
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Minpac » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:32 am

Yep, still a bubbler. Most of the guys add sight windows so they can see what's happening on the plates. From my understanding, they fog up a little when tails are coming through, and give a better feel for management of the run. Plus, they're cool :-B
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:30 am

Minpac wrote:Yep, still a bubbler. Most of the guys add sight windows so they can see what's happening on the plates. From my understanding, they fog up a little when tails are coming through, and give a better feel for management of the run. Plus, they're cool :-B

Gee that is cool for a novice, once you fog up you know exactly were your hearts finished and shut her down. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I certainly will not have them luxuries with my old banger. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:57 am

You see more than just the onset of tails with sight glasses!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby andybear » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:23 pm

What we call a bubbler is actually a distillation column. And all the ones I've seen in an oil refinery, none of them have sight glasses. Most have many more plates but essentially are the same as our bubblers. You can look them up on you tube to see how they make petrol. There isn't that much difference really in the column design. Cheers.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:40 pm

As this section of the forum is titled "plated column still" pretty much sums up what a bubbler is :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Minpac » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:42 pm

Zac, can you share what can be seen for those of us aspiring to bubbler ownership?
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:53 pm

You can see if plates are loaded properly. Sometimes, for reasons I haven't deciphered yet, one of the middle plates won't load properly. You can see how much reflux you've got returning down the column.

Obviously you can run without windows but I highly recommend them!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Yep, they can definitely aid to tell if your power input is correct during the run :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby rumsponge » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:00 am

Obviously you can run without windows but I highly recommend them!

agree, wouldnt know how to run my neutralizer without them. Good for spotting tails, adjusting reflux/power and also great for spotting a developing puke and stopping it before it hits the PC.
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Return to Plated Column Stills