Trying to work out how to build a bubbler...

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Trying to work out how to build a bubbler...

Postby copperhead road » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:41 am

I was talking to a still builder about columns and his exact words were " some might disagree or argue the fact but 4 plates is nothing more than a pot still, and if you want a really good neutral or gin your looking at minimum 8 or 9 plates"
I was kind of shocked after all the reading I had done.... could that statement be somewhat true :think:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Huntsman96 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:54 am

copperhead road wrote:I was talking to a still builder about columns and his exact words were " some might disagree or argue the fact but 4 plates is nothing more than a pot still, and if you want a really good neutral or gin your looking at minimum 8 or 9 plates"
I was kind of shocked after all the reading I had done.... could that statement be somewhat true :think:

Well I don't have a bubbler myself but I was always told if enough people say something it's either true or a conspiracy :D so if mac and all the people on here say that 4 plates makes them an awesome brown spirit in 1 run while a pot generally requires 2 I'd be inclined to believe them. In terms of neutral I don't think anyone here would say 4 plates alone will get perfect neutral but thats why most people chasing neutral go for 5 or more plates plus a packed section which provides a large number of "plates" in a shorter distance. Just my understanding of it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Huntsman96

equipment: 2" boka / regular old pot still

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:49 am

4 plates will yield very good flavour in a single run.
5 plates and a packed section will strip flavour.
The packed section is the key here as it acts like a number of extra plates - look up "Theoretical plates".

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby copperhead road » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:43 am

Arrr gotcha professor makes sense now as there had been no talk of packing only plates in our conversation, Yankee's can talk a different language to us Aussie folk at times :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:03 am

As soon as there is reflux involved it is no longer a pot still.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby scottyd72 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:12 am

Dig Brinker wrote:As many as you can fit for max efficiency

Ah ok cool, well I'll just see how many ½inch pipes I can fit in. :text-thankyoublue:
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby scottyd72 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:20 am

My next job is to make a few easy flanges next weekend. Also aquire a bit of 3" copper pipe for the RC.
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills