Trying to work out how to build a bubbler...

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Trying to work out how to build a bubbler...

Postby Plumby » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:44 pm

bluc wrote:Seriously go at leat a keg and r" or there will be regrets

What you smoking man, this sounds like gobbledygook.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:45 pm

Keg and 4" i meant.. and yea the rum works great :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:25 pm

scottyd72 wrote:Can anyone tell me what the minimum thickness of copper plate is for the bubble plates?

I used 2" pipe flattened out so thats about 1.6mm I think. I will use 2mm on my next one, maybe overkill.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby scottyd72 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:38 pm

woodduck wrote:
scottyd72 wrote:Can anyone tell me what the minimum thickness of copper plate is for the bubble plates?

I used 2" pipe flattened out so thats about 1.6mm I think. I will use 2mm on my next one, maybe overkill.

Ah thanks woodduck, I've only got a few small pieces of 0.55mm thick plates and I was thinking that they may be too thin.
I might see if 1.2mm is thick enough... otherwise I ll go to 1.6mm
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby woodduck » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:51 pm

1.2 might be ok. I built a glasser so I had to use thicker plates for rigidity the next one I'm gonna build needs thicker plate too. You might find that with a modular copper still 1.2 might be better as you have to sandwich it between the 2 sections with 2 seals. You might have to have a look around at a couple of builds to find that info. I do remember a thread where people were having trouble getting their plates to seal properly because they were too thick to get a clamp on.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby scythe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:40 pm

I think the main issue is that you cannot use 2 seals when you are using easy flanges.
Where as if you just flare and flatten the pipe then 2 seals are fine.

Or it may have been that they were using 2 silicon seals instead of 2 EPDM seals, silicone seals being thicker.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby scottyd72 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:50 am

woodduck wrote:1.2 might be ok. I built a glasser so I had to use thicker plates for rigidity the next one I'm gonna build needs thicker plate too. You might find that with a modular copper still 1.2 might be better as you have to sandwich it between the 2 sections with 2 seals. You might have to have a look around at a couple of builds to find that info. I do remember a thread where people were having trouble getting their plates to seal properly because they were too thick to get a clamp on.

scythe wrote:I think the main issue is that you cannot use 2 seals when you are using easy flanges.
Where as if you just flare and flatten the pipe then 2 seals are fine.

Or it may have been that they were using 2 silicon seals instead of 2 EPDM seals, silicone seals being thicker.

Wow, i hadnt thought of sealing them as i had just assumed that i would solder them in place. But, am i going to need to pull them out now and again for cleaning or can they stay in for that.
As for modular, i was planning on making the pipe with the four plates one section with ferrules top and bottom only.
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36 am

You'll want to use a plate tree then, that you can slide in and out.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby scythe » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Soldering in you plates can work, on a fully modular build, trying to solder plates into a long bit of pipe will be a pain.
And what if one of your plates does not load properly you have to remove all the ones in front of it to fix it.

You will need to have a seal at each join.

A triclamp will work on about 5-7mm of flange outside wdge.
scythe

Postby Huntsman96 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:54 pm

As someone who is looking into building a bubbler as well if you want a good look at a non-modular or solid-state bubbler check out db's thread on his bubbler build. It's a bubbler with 4 plates soldered to the pipe with no sightglasses. Very interesting read.
Huntsman96

equipment: 2" boka / regular old pot still

Postby scottyd72 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:27 am

I might have to make the column a two piece one then with an extra 3" triclamp halfway up.

If i used a plate tree, is it hard to get them to seal?
scottyd72

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:29 am

Not if you get the plates perfectly round. A couple of laps of thread tape around them won't hurt either.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby db1979 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:55 am

You'll need to make sure your pipe is perfectly round if you want your plate tree to seal easily everytime. My 4" pipe wasn't so I decided to go solid state. Even though I'd cut my plates out as best I could different parts of the pipe were closer fit than others.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:36 am

Yeah that was the issue with Agrajag, which is why I ended up soldering the plates in.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby bluc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:47 pm

scythe wrote:Soldering in you plates can work, on a fully modular build, trying to solder plates into a long bit of pipe will be a pain.
And what if one of your plates does not load properly you have to remove all the ones in front of it to fix it.

You will need to have a seal at each join.

A triclamp will work on about 5-7mm of flange outside wdge.

Curious if its soldered in why would it not load :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby scythe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:26 pm

If you have muffed something else up when you soldered it into the pipe.
scythe

Postby scottyd72 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:01 pm

Update: Decided to make 4 separate SS sections using 3" flanges and SS pipe so that I can slip the copper plates between each flanged section.
Im half way thru making a 2" PC which will be 500mm long using 6 x 3/8" pipes inside it.
Still have to get a small length of 3" copper pipe to make a RC shotty, with 1/2 pipe inside.
scottyd72

Postby scottyd72 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Here are some pics of my new build.
I don't have all the parts for completing as yet as this is all I have been able to do so far, from gathering stuff locally so far. I will need to buy glass, seals, clamps and a temp gauge setup from Macstill in another month or two (when I can afford it).

I bought a small 180 amp stick and lift TIG welder 2 weeks ago and have been practicing on some mild and stainless steel. I need lots more practice too :laughing-rolling:
But im getting the hang of it...

My first time TIG welding 3" ss pipe to a flange... think I need lots more practice... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :angry-banghead:
IMG_3389.jpg

Actually managed to weld 5 up. Still have to drill out the 2" hole for the window flanges to weld in. I'm going to have 4 plate sections. One of these 3" sections will just be a short riser for the base of the column and for the first bubble plate to sit on.
IMG_3392.jpg

My motivation comes from a few of the bender bubbler builds I've seen on these forums. :text-thankyoublue: to Milky is one that comes to mind :text-thankyoublue:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottyd72

RC section

Postby scottyd72 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:08 pm

So after all the bubbler threads I could manage to read, I still cant work out the finer details of the RC. So I know to make it 3" (same dia as the bubble plate sections) and I've come to the conclusion to make it 150mm long. Not sure if 4-5 x 1/2" tubes will be enough though...
scottyd72

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:27 pm

As many as you can fit for max efficiency
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills