Stove top bubbler conversion

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Stove top bubbler conversion

Postby db1979 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:13 am

This arrived in the mail the other day. 2000 W.
IMG_20170704_095345012-01.jpeg

My 2" stove top bubbler hasn't been used since December 2015. Time to give it its own heat source.
IMG_20170704_095513080-01.jpeg

Fits nicely.
IMG_20170704_095548246-01.jpeg

Holes drilled, no going back now.
IMG_20170704_100910868-01.jpeg

Element fits.
IMG_20170704_101137706-01.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Re: Stove top bubbler conversion

Postby db1979 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:21 am

I then needed to sort out the element guard, after lots of thinking and searching through the big green box I finally came across a galvanised 90 mm post bracket and post cap. Together they fit nicely over the element terminals. They are connected by a rivet on one side and a machine screw on the other.
IMG_20170705_075545764-01.jpeg

IMG_20170705_075556019-01.jpeg

I now have a small bubbler I can use in my man cave that allows me to experiment with small scale washes or run small batches of feints etc.
I was thinking of selling it when I'd finished my 4" bubbler but being a smaller size gives me greater flexibility and is ideal for experiments so I won't need to make large volumes of washes.
The minimum volume to cover the element is 2 L, so 2.5 L would be sufficient for a run.
I'll use it with my voltage controller as the RC on this little thing can't handle 2000 W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 am

looks good db What sort collection rate do you get? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:36 am

Hi DB, i know its earthed but those element terminals are still exposed, perhaps a good bead of silicone around the edge will protect them.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:56 am

The parts of the terminal that are visible from the outside are electrically insulated from the part of the terminal that is connected to the supply. The live parts of the terminal are not visible from the outside. It may be possible to push something thin inside the element guard to make contact with the live part of the terminal but I'm just as likely to do that as put a paperclip into a power point. The visible parts of the terminal are no different electrically to the rest of the boiler since they are all in contact with each other.
I need to build a stand for my boiler since the element guard sticks out the bottom, I'll incorporate further protection through the stand from any contact with all parts of the element terminals. The stand will be made from timber.
I've assessed the risk and acknowledge that I... "expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your (my) use of the information or service provided here in and through out our (the) forums". As such, others reading this thread need to be aware of the same. As per our forum rules, if any of the moderator or admin team feel this thread is potentially unsafe, please delete it. If this thread is better off in the electrical section then please move it. I don't take my safety lightly and I would not have been satisfied with this build if I wasn't confident that it was safe.
db1979

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:09 pm

All good mate, I wasn't trying to state you're doing anything deliberately dangerous or blatantly disregarding the forum rules, just suggesting a bit of silicone might prevent a freak and unnecessary accident :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As for the paper clip, as a kid, I once shoved each end of a piano wire into a socket, I was that deep in thought I didn't even know I was doing it, until I hit the switch :scared-eek: Lucky I wasn't touching the wire or I'd be toast.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Doubleuj wrote:All good mate, I wasn't trying to state you're doing anything deliberately dangerous or blatantly disregarding the forum rules, just suggesting a bit of silicone might prevent a freak and unnecessary accident :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As for the paper clip, as a kid, I once shoved each end of a piano wire into a socket, I was that deep in thought I didn't even know I was doing it, until I hit the switch :scared-eek: Lucky I wasn't touching the wire or I'd be toast.

No worries, I didn't want anyone reading to get the wrong idea about electrical safety on our forum.
I once taught with a guy who was teaching his class and noticed a paperclip sticking out of a power point and told his class how unsafe it was before pulling it out. He didn't bother stopping to see if the switch was on though and woke up in hospital with a burn the shape of a paperclip on his finger and thumb and an exit wound on his ankle. :o
db1979

Postby Plumby » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:51 pm

db1979 wrote:I once taught with a guy who was teaching his class and noticed a paperclip sticking out of a power point and told his class how unsafe it was before pulling it out. He didn't bother stopping to see if the switch was on though and woke up in hospital with a burn the shape of a paperclip on his finger and thumb and an exit wound on his ankle. :o

Reading that made me pucker up my but hole. :laughing-rolling:
I was rolling up an extension cord at work one day because it started to rain , didn't know that the brickie had dropped one of his bessa blocks on the extension cord and broken all the insulation layers. I was thrown across the yard and cracked my head open on the retainer wall.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby bluc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:18 pm

:text-+1: good reason you always roll a lead up starting at the end that goes in the wall..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:49 pm

bluc wrote:looks good db What sort collection rate do you get? :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As I haven't used it for a while I'm not really certain but I think I used to collect about 500 mL in about an hour. Heat up time is a real plus. With some feints added to a 7 L wash I can get about a litre of 40 % (all hearts) out of it in less than an hour and a half total run time (if my memory is correct). So if I'm not interested in making a huge amount she's a good little still.
I'll look into insulating the boiler too to see if I can reduce the heat up time further.
db1979

Return to Plated Column Stills