Running a New Bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Running a New Bubbler

Postby PeterC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Well, bit the bullet, got a 4 inch, 4 plate bubble cap bubbler. Washed the parts, did a vinegar clean, then a sacrificial run. Had 6L of 60% from a previous SAC run which I watered down to about 20%. I have a keg with a 2200W weldless element and I ran this full bore. All seemed to be going well even with a long heat up time but first of all when the bottom plate started to load up I just could not stop it weeping at the bottom seal. I checked it after the run and I could not see anything wrong with the gasket seating etc.

Next I had it on full reflux and the the bottom and third plate loaded up but the second and top plate did not. Just like the return flow was going straight past. I was doing this on my verandah with the keg wrapped in a sleeping bag but it was cool out there. I had tap water for cooling and it was so cold that the flow was almost completely turned off to get anything going past the RC.

Ended up with less than a litre at 85% abv. Very frustrating. Any thoughts guys?
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Re: Running a New Bubbler

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:24 pm

6L x 60% to end up with 1L x 85% definitely doesn't add up. Like you've found I'd suggest a major leak or two, reassemble and check every joint with a mirror for leaks is my suggestion
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby woodduck » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:46 pm

If you were outside and it was cold it could cause problems especially if it was windy, the cold wind will cause passive reflux and make it hard to control. If your running 2200w on a 4", it will be on the lower side of power so yes your rc will need to be almost off to get product out. When I run on 2400w my tap would barely be on 1/4 of a turn.

If you had leaks that is where I'd start, you'd be surprised how much vapour can be lost out a leaky seal. One thing I do that I recon helps is wet the seals when I put them in. I recon it helps the seals squeeze around and seal better.

I hope you can get it sorted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:56 pm

What brand of bubbler are we talking about here,I had a few leaks with the thin special silicone plate seals on mine so I changed to the thicker black epdm seal with the inner section removed,worked to sort it out for me ,but my tee sections from FSD are the old type without the recess for the plate,and once I had assembled the four bubble plates I would pour about a litre of 40-50% voddy into the top tee befor assembling any more just to confirm I had no leaks ,as its a pain ta dissassemble and fix a leek once ya still is up to temp.I agree with Wooduck and salivate on my seals when asssembleing.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby PeterC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:31 pm

hillzabilly wrote:What brand of bubbler are we talking about here,I had a few leaks with the thin special silicone plate seals on mine so I changed to the thicker black epdm seal with the inner section removed,worked to sort it out for me ,but my tee sections from FSD are the old type without the recess for the plate,and once I had assembled the four bubble plates I would pour about a litre of 40-50% voddy into the top tee befor assembling any more just to confirm I had no leaks ,as its a pain ta dissassemble and fix a leek once ya still is up to temp.I agree with Wooduck and salivate on my seals when asssembleing.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Hi Hillz, I am a hillbilly also. Hills just east of Perth.
I have Tee's with standard 4" grooved ferrules top and bottom with the bubbler plate sitting inside the seal no recess machined for it. (local not FSD as they have supply issues atm) The 4" silicone seals seem slightly too small and do not naturally just sit on the ferrule, you need to wiggle to fit the flanges together. Interesting you used thicker EPDM. I think this might be my problem with the copper plate stopping the ferrules before the joint has sealed. Looking into this there is also a seal with an outside lip which may be good. See here http://www.geordi.com.au/Products20d.htm

How tight do you crank the clamps on these? My 2" pot still, I could seal the ferrules with my fingers but 4" you cannot get the pressure, so need to use pliers or a screw driver if the wing nut has a hole in it.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 pm

How thick are your plates mate? my bubbler doesn't have recesses and I don't have any problems with them, sounds like your plates are too thick or your seals are dodgy :think:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby PeterC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:57 pm

TasSpirits wrote:How thick are your plates mate? my bubbler doesn't have recesses and I don't have any problems with them, sounds like your plates are too thick or your seals are dodgy :think:

Hi Tas, copper plate is 1.25mm the silicone seal is about 1.86mm as best as I could measure with my vernier gauge. Dodgy seals maybe? The groove in the ferrule has a 110mm dia. but the seal section that fits is more like 108mm.
PeterC

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Sounds like you needs to get some new seals or trim some epdm ones as Hillzabilly suggested, my FSD ones fit perfect. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Yes when I measured the thickness of the silicone seal compared to the EPDM there was a small difference with the latter being thicker,also I found that if I swapped the position of the tee's around without seals or plates ,they fitted more closely,and marked them from 1-4 so you then set up in the same order next time,the welding of ferrule ta tee can sometimes distort the ferrule makeing sealing more difficult and thats were a thicker seal will overcome the problem and need less pressure on the clamp to seal,because its bottoming out on the plate,wich will meen they last longer as well,and if the seals are to thin it will not matter how hard you screw them up it will still leak.I have streched seals carefully a couple of times so they fit better as well.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby PeterC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks Hillz :handgestures-thumbupleft:
PeterC

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Oh yeah one other thing ya copper plates ,if they were lazer or plazma cut may have a slight bur on one side of the outside edge,wich would not help as well and should be carefully removed and cleaned up ,I am up Kalamunda way my self gotta love the hillz mate.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:54 pm

My plates are 1.4mm and epdm seals 2.2mm = 0.8mm crush,your plates 1.25mm and seals 1.86mm = 0.61mm crush,your plates 1.25mm and epdm seals 2.2mm = 0.95mm crush should fix the leaks .It is a little tricky ta remove the inner section neatly tho.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby PeterC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:35 pm

hillzabilly wrote: I found that if I swapped the position of the tee's around without seals or plates ,they fitted more closely,and marked them from 1-4 so you then set up in the same order next time,the welding of ferrule ta tee can sometimes distort the ferrule makeing sealing more difficult. . . . . I have streched seals carefully a couple of times so they fit better as well.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Just found out that my ferrules are a bit distorted. They all rock back and forward a bit looking at them from the view glass. Rotating the second and the fourth ones by 45 degrees they sit almost perfect. Looks a bit weird but does not matter on how it runs. I also took the hint to stretch the slightly too small seals. Looking forward to my next run. Have an FFV on the go. Thanks again Hillz :handgestures-thumbupleft:
PeterC

Postby EziTasting » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Sounds like a good outcome, Peter!

Hope to hear a good report on your next run.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Ifn ya get the thicker epdm seals or wish ta give them a try ,I could help ya out seeing as ya so close and lend 4 of mine or help cut out the inner section.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Return to Plated Column Stills