Opinons on mesh for plates

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Opinons on mesh for plates

Postby emptyglass » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi guys, new in the house, please be kind.

I've been tossing around the idea of a fine aperture stainless mesh covering on plates that are basicaly frames.

I have played around a bit with oversize holes, and basicly wasted my own time going down that road, but I had to try anyway. Now I'm thinking of doing a U turn and using a fine aperture mesh. I have also done some playing with large diameter drains and no cups. Had better success with that.

So, I'm curious if anyone here has played with, or is going to play with mesh on perforated plates?

Cheers,
WineGlass.

PS. Here's a link to the original build thread of my still http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=24294 I hope I don't upset the forum gods with that, if I have, I will repent. If not, enjoy.

PPS, love the smiles here :text-thankyoublue: :clap: :clap: :clap:
emptyglass

Re: Opinons on mesh for plates

Postby SBB » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:42 am

Whewwww thats a long thread...got about half way through.......never did find what sized holes you ended up using in the plates. Most of the bubblers built on this forum so far use 1.5 holes and work great.
PS I think youll find the forum gods here dont mind links to topics on other forums.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby emptyglass » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Thats about what I ended up with. Modified the 3/32"dia holes with a pin punch. A 1/16"/1.6mm bit passes through, a 5/64"/1.95mm dosn't.

But I'm curious about mesh, as I have some that might work, just don't want to do a heap of work only to make a lemon.

I'll link the videos here so you guys can see them without trolling through the whole thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyglass

Postby SBB » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Nice bit of improvisation there .......saved making new plates......and looks like it would work ok.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby emptyglass » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:40 pm

I was lucky enough to stumble across some 2mm sheet copper that I made my plates from. I think if they were thinner than 1.6mm, this trick wouldn't have worked.
Thats the second set of plates so far. The first set was 1.6mm thick, they were a lot more flimsy.

Those are the plates I'm thinking of putting the mesh on.
emptyglass

Return to Plated Column Stills