4 inch glass perforated plate build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

4 inch glass perforated plate build

Postby orcy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:47 pm

ok guys. definitely building a glasser. they just look too good.

95% sure I wanna go perforated plate to keep costs down compared to building bubble caps.

question is, what size holes should I drill, and what sort of plate open space should I aim for? from my reading, im getting anywhere between 5 and 20% open. I was planning on around 7.5% just to hit some sort of middle ground. and holesize is completely up in the air. from 1.5 to 6 depending who you read, and some even suggesting different sized holes on each plate (which im open to)

are there any hard and fast rules. initially i'll only be making neutral.

cheers
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Re: 4 inch glass perforated plate build

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:04 pm

I'd go 1.5mm and keep the the same on each plate, I add a new section to mine, didn't realise that it had 2nm holes, couldn't get it to load :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby orcy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:32 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I'd go 1.5mm and keep the the same on each plate, I add a new section to mine, didn't realise that it had 2nm holes, couldn't get it to load :handgestures-thumbupleft:

awesome. exactly what I was looking for. what open percentage are you running? and what size downcomers? at 7.5% open, I need 330 holes in a 100mm plate. thats one every 4mm or so from a quick grid paper exercise. maybe i'll move to a triangular grid and see if I can pack them a touch tighter.

either way, i'm getting excited. gonna use BCF primus glasses with silicone mat seals, and I think i'm going to make pentagonal plates, simply cause I havent seen any done that way yet. the first 5 plates will be a single piece. and if I need more i'll make them modular with 4 inch triclover seals. 4 inch shotgun RC and i'm considering trying to use a glass graham condensor to add to the glasser look. if not i'll make one from copper.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore

Postby P3T3rPan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:55 pm

these are 1.5mm on a 4mm grid.
no point covering the whole surface as the mating areas don't need holes.
Count them if you like. :)) (around 227)
IMG_3671 (480x640).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby tipsy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:31 pm

P3T3rPan wrote:Count them if you like. :)) (around 227)
IMG_3671 (480x640).jpg

I think you'll find there's 229 ;-)

:))
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby woodduck » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Sounds great mate, good luck with the build.

Just something to think about when building a glasser with primus glass is that it’s not the strongest stuff around and care should be taken with them, you don't want to crack one mid run or even worse have to unthread all those nuts to replace one :laughing-rolling: . Plenty of blokes are using them and are having great results so I'm not trying to put you off just reminding you of the safety aspect that's all.

There are some great threads around on the perf plates with sizes and I recon someone even had a print out grid patern if I remember correctly (not 100% sure on that one). There's some good tips on them aswell in regards to how best to drill them so you don't break so many drill bits or end up with RSI :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby orcy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:16 pm

thanks woodduck. all taken under advisement. I have a drill press, and some nice shiny inox drills, so i'm hoping I can make light work of the actual drilling aspect. i've decided on a 4mm triangle grid to get me up around 350 holes. now I just need to work out my downcomers and mark it all out and start drilling.
orcy

Postby woodduck » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Drill presses are great but I'm worried that it might not have enough "give" for really small bits and they might break. I would have a couple of spares just incase.

I hope it’s a winner cause it will save the rsi, good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Just throwing it out there, caps aren't that much more expensive and apparently much easier to run( I've never run perfs) my caps were modelled from woodducks build and I'm soo happy with how she runs.
Good luck and enjoy the build one way or another :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Dig Brinker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:42 pm

As above, I bought my plates from Five Star complete with caps. Easier & cheaper than RSI lol.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby P3T3rPan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:15 am

woodduck wrote:Sounds great mate, good luck with the build.

There are some great threads around on the perf plates with sizes and I recon someone even had a print out grid patern if I remember correctly (not 100% sure on that one). There's some good tips on them aswell in regards to how best to drill them so you don't break so many drill bits or end up with RSI :laughing-rolling:

Printing a grid and glueing it to your plate makes drilling easy
IMG_2101.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby db1979 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:06 pm

Do one plate at a time, don't try to stack them to save time as the turnings will bind up the bit and it will snap. I also found that annealing the plate stops the bit snapping too. It doesn't take that long, I didn't use a drill press, just got a comfortable chair, a saw horse and supported the drill front with my left hand while I controlled the drill with my right. I swapped hands if they got tired. I've done caps as well and I think there's a bit more work involved in caps and more to stuff up.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby orcy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 pm

made my templates today, and i'm about half way through drilling my holes. centre punch and a dremel and it seems to be going OK. I did stack them up, cause although Im a sadist, I dont have infinite time :). broke two drill bits trying both the drill press and my battery drill. The dremel seems to be a winner, its just a bit tough to get it to really hold the small bits. the extra speed seems to be the key. it doesnt have time for the swarth to stick in the hole. either way, with the wastage of drillbits I could almost have bought bubble caps :)

I havent taken any photos yet, I always get stuck doing stuff and forget that i'm meant to be documenting it.
orcy

Postby woodduck » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:16 am

Have a read of this one, might help with some ideas on drilling and building.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3015&start=40#p47158
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Return to Plated Column Stills