The Mother Duck

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The Mother Duck

Postby ThePaterPiper » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:09 pm

Do the dimples make it fly further? :laughing-rolling:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby bluc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:14 pm

A flying boiler :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 pm

PC done and leak tested :dance:

I ended up drilling my in/outlets with a drill that I sleaved with a peice of 5/8 copper and fitted with a soft bump stop so it didn't mark the 3". I just made it so the drill would only just reach through. Worked well but would still advise drilling them first haha.

I ran out of solder and can't find the bernzomatic stuff anywhere, I don't think it's sold here in Oz anymore unfortunately. So I ended up going for the aquasafe and 801 flux. The aquasafe is way cheaper which is a bonus :handgestures-thumbupleft: I can't say I like it as much as the bernzo but it works ok. It has a smaller window of melting point and seems to need a little more direct heat which is taking a while to get used to. The 801 doesn't clean off after soldering as well either leaving it a bit dirty looking but an acid bath should fix that :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mmmm now what, plates, rc or sightglasses? I'll have a think and see what takes my fancy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:17 pm

That is one seriously sexy condenser woodduck!

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby db1979 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:22 pm

woodduck wrote:I ended up drilling my in/outlets with a drill that I sleaved with a peice of 5/8 copper and fitted with a soft bump stop so it didn't mark the 3". I just made it so the drill would only just reach through. Worked well but would still advise drilling them first haha.

Clever idea, well done!
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:49 pm

While the condenser gods are playing nice knock out an rc :handgestures-thumbupleft: love ya pc btw..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:48 am

Your on bluc, lets do it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The first incision of the 6" has happened :handgestures-thumbupleft: this will be my RC. Unfortunately I have other crap to do today so that's all for now, just a little teaser.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:48 am

Just remember to drill the input/output holes first this time :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:34 am

She's comeing alive mate ya got me snooping for some 6inch tube now,glade ya PC worked out I made the same mistake with the coolant outlets ,got it all soldered up as well no worries but some solder ran inside because the thing was finnished I could not for the life of me get the little solder balls out ,called it Mr Tinkles in the end as thats the noise they made when the water was running thru it flat out.cheers hillzabilly :D
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:01 pm

I like the name hillz :laughing-rolling:

Got a bit done tonight :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby EziTasting » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Bloody nice post and looking RC!

Just wondering - why you don’t solder the pipes to the plates/baffles while they’re out of the RC housing!
Would that not give you better working access?!?! I would think it would also make heating up the tubing/plates easier as there is less heat transfer...

I’m curious, not criticizing! I have not tried doing any of this as yet, just fascinated...

Love your work! Keep it up.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:30 pm

It's way to hard to hold it all together, that was a leaning tower of Pisa and fell over very soon after the photo :laughing-rolling: the baffle plate only needs soldering to the outside not the pipes so not too hard, just lining it up is a bit tricky.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby scythe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 am

Nice idea for dealing with the "dead space" when using larger vapour tunes.

You are a braver man than I soldering plates in with out locating tubes in them, or did you remove them for the photo?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:42 am

No i solder my plates in without the tubes in then slide the tubes in after, way easier :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:08 pm

Finally got the rc done :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm pretty happy with it, should work well.

I had some problems with the baffle plate not lining up properly so I ditched that idea. I've now got the in and outlets on opposite sides and to aid it spreading the water around I slotted the bottom of the inlet like a bubble cap so the water sprays in all directions, fingers crossed it works ok.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby orcy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:38 pm

so why the internal coolant feed in and out? looks good
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:59 pm

I think woody might be going real old school with this one ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby woodduck » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:00 pm

This still will have a slide in plate tree and rc, all internal. only clamps will be one at bottom to boiler, one at top for the cap plate and the 4 sightglasses. This build is as far from modular as you could get :laughing-rolling: The smaller tubes in my rc are for the threaded rod to hold the plate tree together. Just felt like doing something different and old school I guess.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I think woody might be going real old school with this one ;-)

You got it but I just can't bring myself to go full old school and put 2" sights on it. I've been looking a glasser for way to long :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Just a tip for anyone cutting sightglass branch offs, I fold a couple of bits of tape to use as handles to help move the template up and down the pipe, heaps easier :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills