Nathans 4" bubbler build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Nathans 4" bubbler build

Postby Nathan02 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 am

Hi guys,

As stated above im on the road to building my own 4" bubbler. Going to be 4 plates modular using the perferated plate design. Have my 4" and 2" pipe to get me started. My first question may seem obvious to others. Im going to cut my modular sections at 150mm. How do you guys cut your 4" so straight and clean? How would you guys recommend i achieve this? Will keep updated with photos and try and use this section as some motivation!

Cheers
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Re: Nathans 4" bubbler build

Postby orcy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:33 am

Hacksaw, grinder or pipe cutters. Though cutters sometimes pinch the end a touch depending how hard you press.

Just mark it up square and cut slowly and carefully
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby bayshine » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:28 am

You can use some emery tape or some thin cardboard (Manila folder)to wrap around your pipe to get a nice square mark :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Good luck and look forward to some picys
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Nathan02 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks for your help guys. Will 2" tees for sight glasses be an acceptable size? Or do you guys recommend the 3". I do have 2" available but no 3". Also how far is recommended for seating depth inside the module. Cheers
Nathan02

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 am

Most use 3" but I am considering 2" sight glasses also.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:52 am

I have 2" SGs on my 4" bubbler, you can see plenty and I think they look more balanced than 3". Also cheaper!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Stonemaker1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:44 pm

bluc wrote:Most use 3" but I am considering 2" sight glasses also.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As an added bonus you also get more copper surface area plus there cheaper, win win :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Stonemaker1 wrote:
bluc wrote:Most use 3" but I am considering 2" sight glasses also.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As an added bonus you also get more copper surface area plus there cheaper, win win :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What would be the benefit of that that little more surface area? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby db1979 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Sam. wrote:
Stonemaker1 wrote:

SFA, since there'll already be a heap of copper anyway.

Even cheaper with no sight glasses.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Nathan02 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Am i right in assuming that the 2 inch tee will sit flush inside the hole to be soldered or should i sink it in a bit? Cheers
Nathan02

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Nathan02 wrote:Hi guys,

As stated above im on the road to building my own 4" bubbler. Going to be 4 plates modular using the perferated plate design. Have my 4" and 2" pipe to get me started. My first question may seem obvious to others. Im going to cut my modular sections at 150mm. How do you guys cut your 4" so straight and clean? How would you guys recommend i achieve this? Will keep updated with photos and try and use this section as some motivation!

Cheers

G-day Nathan,for copper pipe cutters do a good job but are expensive for a one off use ,you may be able ta find someone that can lend a set,for stainless ya pipe cutters need the right cutters and be strong enough,they all leave a berr on the inside of the tube wich may need ta be removed,wrapping a piece of paper around so the edges are all in line and tapeing it there is simple guide and then useing either a hacksaw or thin cutting disk in a small grinder,wich you should practice once or twice befor going for the money shot,after I like to put a full sheet of emery paper onto a small piece of glass ,with a little water on it first cleaning up and squareing the end,you can get berr removeing tools or flap wheels do the job too pretty cheap at the big green shed.Have you decided what type of flanges or ferrules you will use,as some may hide wonky cutting more than others .How did you come up with perforated plates,does it relate too ya drink of choice or because its easier ta build with less tools.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by hillzabilly on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Stonemaker1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Sam. wrote:
Stonemaker1 wrote:

Guess I just love copper and thought the more you use the better off you are but that's just my opinion. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm guessing your a stainless man.....
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby Nathan02 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:58 pm

hillzabilly wrote:
Nathan02 wrote:Hi guys,

Cheers

G-day Nathan,for copper pipe cutters do a good job but are expensive for a one off use ,you may be able ta find someone that can lend a set,for stainless ya pipe cutters need the right cutters and be strong enough,they all leave a berr on the inside of the tube wich may need ta be removed,wrapping a piece of paper around so the edges are all in line and tapeing it there is simple guide and then useing either a hacksaw or thin cutting disk in a small grinder,wich you should practice once or twice befor going for the money shot,after I like to put a full sheet of emery paper onto a small piece of glass ,with a little water on it first cleaning up and squareing the end,you can get berr removeing tools or flap wheels do the job too pretty cheap at the big green shed.Have you decided what type of flanges or ferrules you will use,as some may hide wonky cutting more than others .How did you come up with perforated plates,does it relate too ya drink of choice or because its easier ta build with less tools.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi hillzabilly,

Well...ive run with the perf plate design tue to the fact that it looks a little easier to complete. I do love my rum and whisky and was under the understanding that there was minimal difference when operating, between the two designs. Would love to be corrected and taught if thats not true. Cheers thanks guys!
Nathan02

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Perf plate is designed depending on required power input and wanted output rate. Bubble caps can be run across multiple power watts input and desired product output rates..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:15 pm

I think its a bit of a Ford vrs Holden debate,personally I have never used them but plenty do and have gotten fine results,its about getting ta know how ta get the best out of ya gear, that makes the difference ta me ,wich only comes with plenty of trials,I also see that the desighn may be easier to complete for some people with only thumbs and less equipment,Mac used ta sell perf plates ready to go with down comers,wich is the very important bit in your still that I would not make ifn I was starting out ,to make sure the effort of building will be rewarded with success.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Nathan02 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Sorry was also going to do easy flanges with 1/4" tube. Ive aslipped a 105mm hose clamp to my measurement and will try follow that for straight cuts
Nathan02

Postby woodduck » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:12 pm

You would be better off with the paper for a straight cut over the clamp. The width of the paper is the critical part. The paper needs to sit nice and flat/snug around the pipe then the edges need to line up nice and true. You will see what I mean once you wrap some paper around some pipe. The paper needs to be long enough to overlap itself so you can twist it until it lines up perfectly, that way there is no chance of it tilting like a thin clamp might.

I hope I haven't confused you here but once you try it it will make sence :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Wrap around. There a thing. Made for pipe fitters made from stuff bit like gasket paper..They even have all angles printed on them....
bluc
Site Donor

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:27 pm

I found hanging onto the copper pipe whilst cutting could make things harder ,so made up a couple of wooden vee blocks to fit in the vise,and go easy how hard ya screw the vise as its pretty easy ta damage copper pipe in a metal vise.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Stonemaker1 wrote:
Sam. wrote:
Stonemaker1 wrote:

Guess I just love copper and thought the more you use the better off you are but that's just my opinion. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm guessing your a stainless man.....

I don't have a preference either way but I have tested it for myself to see how much copper it actually does take to remove sulphides ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills