The second wife build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

The second wife build

Postby A&O » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:31 pm

So it starts. I bought some 4” from the local scrap metal yard, obtained a keg, legally mind, although what I’m building has some legal issues.

I have spent countless hours reading through this wonderful site and downloaded the book pack ( thanks Stig) which I am reading when I’ve got no internet. Now I have to be near a power point to charge my phone as I now understand why iPhones have a bad rap for poor battery life. So the wife thinks I’m going to spend more time with my creation than with her, so this will be my second wife. At least I’m not going to bring home any std’s.

The plan, keg, 4plate glasser, 500mm packed section, block head and will be mostly constructed of copper.

I’ve already got keg & the 4”, just keeping my eyes open for a bit of 2” 1” and 1/4” pipe. Although I’ve had the parts I have for a couple of weeks now, I’ve only really started construction today.

The keg has a dent, hence why I got it free. The spear came out without a hitch. I managed to release the pressure so I know it doesn’t leak, and spear without covering myself in stale beer. I’ve run a hose through it and marked out where the holes are to be drilled. I’m going the build it upside down, so I can use the spear collar as my drain so just need to get a bend tri clamps and tap with an adapter for a hose. I’ll use 2x 2400w elements, 4” fill and 4” for still. I considered a 6”, but I have no intention of building a 6” still, and if I do, I’ll want a bigger boiler anyway. The other point a few have suggested a 6” is to get an arm in for cleaning. Yes very valid, but I’ve got a pressure cleaner and it’ll probably going to be the one thing I’m going to regret, but hey, if I don’t like it, I’ll build another one day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Re: The second wife build

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:52 pm

And so it begins.
Keep the pics coming
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Sugardaddy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:01 pm

When it come to a build it's one foot in front of the other.. :laughing-rolling:
Sugardaddy

equipment: Pot still

Postby A&O » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:14 pm

I’ve started cutting my pipe and have almost got square cuts. There’s a 500mm for the packed section. A 100mm piece for the RC and a 150mm section for the blockhead. I’ve got a bunch of off cuts of 3/4” between 150mm and 120mm which I’ll trim and use for the RC.

The left over from the section of 4” after cutting these pieces was about 109mm that I ran the grinder down and flattened. The trusty Hilux did the a great job there and only need to use the wood splitting block to touch it up. Having no shed (burnt to the ground back in May, when insurance is involved everything just takes so long) at the moment sucks as I’m usin the Ute as my bench and improvising where I can for everything. At least I have been able to get some nice shiny tools from the insurance company to enable me to make a start.

As all the 4” is painted water pipe blue, and is filthy from sitting at the scrap yard, my smaller bits are sitting in a vinegar solution having a bath to clean up a bit. Tomorrow I’ll give them a boil in some water & bicarb as I believe that works as a paint stripper with metal. Good in theory I suppose but not sure if the step father in law is having a joke with me or not. But there’s no harm in trying.

Next is to get some solder, lpg torch, pipe cutter and hole saws. Then I’ll need to have a good old think about what I need to order from FSD.

I’ve got the itch and want to get it built super quick, but That never happens with me, it’s just easy at the moment not working and all (looking but not much going at present), so being stay home dad with a build project works for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A&O

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:17 pm

I see ypu have the appropriate footwear :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 pm

More of this blue copper
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Isnt this the same blue copper from other thread :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby A&O » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Yeah, I have another thread where I’m cleaning the paint off.

Yep, the weekend best thongs. My boots and double pluggers went up in flames in the shed fire & haven’t got around to replacing them yet.
A&O

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 pm

New build, I like it. Don't be shy with pics!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby A&O » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:59 pm

After 24hr bathe in vinegar and a light scrub, paints coming off an starting to look the goods.

A849FE10-C071-4D6F-BF63-ACEAE305642A.jpeg

Only thing is, during the cleanup I have 1 off cut piece that was going to be used for my RC but the pipe is a different colour to the others. I’m kinda wondering if it’s brass pipe?

6445E15D-3EA1-4E36-9BAF-8B8743E0FE19.jpeg

The photo doesn’t really do it justice. It’s a lot golfer in colour and even scratching the pipe with the grinder it’s the same colour in the scratch. Has anyone come across this before?

It’s not an essential part to the build and am not going to use it in the RC, unless I get right for material and may use it for water outlets for the RC or PC where the pipe will not contact the vapour path.

Interesting.
A&O

Postby Stonemaker1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:31 pm

I have brass fitting on my still, the one on the right hand side does look like brass from here...
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby scythe » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:49 pm

I wouldn't use that bit if your questioning its heritage.
Not worth the risk for about $0.14 worth of material from the scrappy.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:51 pm

Is that an MK Triton workbench? I started building Agrajag on one exactly the same.

I'd leave that suspect pipe out. Use it on the water side of the still somewhere or something :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby A&O » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Nah, LN167 Hilux, with the 2” lift kit and 31” tyres it’s at the perfect height.

I’ve got a replacement pipe soaking in vinegar as I don’t need to risk having brass in the vapour system. It’s just struck me as odd the colour is so different, because I’ve never really seen brass pipe before if it is brass. It’s definitely a different colour to the other copper pipes.
A&O

Postby Kenster » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Not wishing to throw in the proverbial spanner, cos all looks great so far... nicely planned too, but i fear you may need MAP instead of LPG. I had lots of trouble getting enough heat onto 3'' with map... not sure how u will go with 4''... any other views?
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby A&O » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Mmmmm. What’s everyone else’s experiences been?
A&O

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:42 pm

Pre heat with a gas stove/burner and you should have no dramas, I have been using a 2 ring burner with a heat shield to get things hot, then hard soldering the whole lot with out any problems. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Built my solid state 4" bubbler with nothing but soft solder and LPG. All plates soldered in place and they took a lot of heating but very do-able. No Need for expensive map gas, I would have used less gas if I had but still would have spent more money.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:34 am

LPG is fine mate, (for soft solder obviously) I built my 4" bubbler with it no problems at all. The only time you will have a problem is with hard soldering your easy flanges but it can be done. I've bought a bigger tip which helps.

I should do a video for you blokes so you can see that it can be done. Would that be of interest to anyone?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby EziTasting » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:38 am

For sure!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills