The second wife build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The second wife build

Postby Stonemaker1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:43 am

woodduck wrote:LPG is fine mate, (for soft solder obviously) I built my 4" bubbler with it no problems at all. The only time you will have a problem is with hard soldering your easy flanges but it can be done. I've bought a bigger tip which helps.

I should do a video for you blokes so you can see that it can be done. Would that be of interest to anyone?

I think that would be a fantastic idea @woodduck, it's so much easier to learn from watching it being done rather than reading about it. Hands down IMO :handgestures-thumbupleft: :romance-kisscheek:
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:00 am

See how i go today, I might have time this arvo to do a quick easy flange. Mmmm it will be the first for the mother duck, yay progress :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby A&O » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:07 am

That would be awesome
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby A&O » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:48 am

Ah bit confused now people. I’ve been searching and reading about RC building. Everyone who builds a shotgun RC is a little different and use different philosophies. Originally the plan was to make my 4” RC 100mm high and pack it with 7 3/4 tubes. I’ve based this on advice Mac has given others. Now I’ve come across a couple of posts where they put 9x 3/4 pipes in. I plan on running a single 2400w element during the run, should I stick to 7x 3/4 tubes or should I consider the extra 2?
A&O

Postby orcy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:52 am

I think a lot depends how much vapor you need to knock down, and how much water you can run. More tubes equals more surface area to cool with.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:13 am

More tubes means more knockdown power/more reflux but also means that it will take longer to respond to water flow changes, not sure how much longer, someone else might know that. It can also make it a little harder to build with all the pipes in there, with the heating and solder and whatnot. Not trying to talk you out of it, this is just what I've heard around the place.

Just for intrest sake mine is 80mm high with 5x 3/4" tubes with a baffle plate in the middle and mine can hold 2800w in full reflux. Here's a link to mine if you want to see it
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6709&start=60#p118051
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby A&O » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:23 am

I’m planning on using a needle valve for control of water flow with the water coming from the garden hose. 50l keg with 2x2400w (no controller to start with) for heat up then drop to single element during run. But that’s all therory as only just started building.

Woodduck, do you have a picture of your baffle setup? This is only the second time I’ve heard of a baffle to disturb water flow. I’m interested to see and hear how a baffle helps efficiency. I was going to have I let on one side of my RC and outlet on opposite side to give a somewhat even water flow across all tubes.
A&O

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:42 am

There's photos in the link in my last post.

I work on the theory that the water is forced to go past the tubes twice befor leaving the rc. Water will take the path of least resistance. If both your inlet and out let are on the same side there is less chance of it flowing right over the other side before coming back, make sence? If you have your inlet on one side and outlet on the other side the water has to travel across the rc past the tubes to get out so in my mind it would be more effective? With my baffle plate the water has to travel right to the other side to go up and go right back across the rc to get out hence more water past more tubes. Just my theory and I'm not 100% sure how much more efficient it is or if it is because I've never run any other rc. It may be bugga all for all i know.

A needle valve will alow for finer adjustments to get product output spot on but won't help speed up the temp change in the rc to let more or less vapor pass through it.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby scythe » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:00 pm

The longer the RC the longer it will take to respond to changes, but the more vapour it will be able to knock down.

Shorter RCs are fine but they wont be able to hold back as much power.
Shorter RCs respond quickly but you need to think more about water flow to ensure you make the water travel the longest way through it.
There are 2 ways to use an RC.
Either adjust the water flow to let vapour passed or use more power to push past the RC.
Shorter ones are better for a power managed still.

I have made a short RC and used a baffle, my inlet and outlet are on the same side.
I have also capped and cross drilled my inlet tubes so that water is pushed sideways once it enters the RC and creates more turbulant flow.
Short RCs are generally used with the water running flat out, where longer ones will use a trickle.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby A&O » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Mmmm very interesting thanks fellas.

Going to hold up a little and do some more reading and check out more builds.

I’m in Albany WA so water temp out of the hose is usually 10-15C year round. It’s just a matter of making my decision. At the end of the day, I could make 2 and see which works better I suppose (have the materials).

Need to read read read.
A&O

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:50 pm

I would also look into a recirculation system for your water. You can use a bit during a run plus if the wife is doing the washing it will mess with your still and drive you nuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Lowie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Re: the 2 x 2400w elements. I run 1 x 3000w, takes me 45 mins to heat up. For the extra power (and probably 10 minutes saving) you might want to consider just 1 element? I reckon your blockhead might be a little bit too short too, this will limit the size of your botanicals basket - if you're planing on using one that is.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Hey woody do you find your rc super responsive? I like the design I may have to pinch that baffle idea :teasing-neener: What does the baffle give that you don't get from adjusting the needle valve? Just a longer water path?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:39 pm

My rc responce time would be a minute maybe a bit more, don't really remember as I now run power management most of the time. I leave my rc flat out and push past it with the voltage controller. Around 3200w (180volts on a 3600w element, someone will do the maths :laughing-rolling: ) is my guess at 2.5lph.

I think the needle valve is a separate issue to responce time. The needle valve will help you get small changes in out put but won't change responce time. I just used a gate valve when I used the rc and found it fine, all the way off then crack it 1/4 turn and a bit of a fiddle a minute or two later to get it just right. I am slightly rough though. :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby A&O » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks everyone for your input, the ol cogs are turning upstairs. You all have given me some really valid information, thank you kindly.

Here in Albany we’ve had an absolutely stunning day, picnic, bikes, beach & ice cream. Kids had a ball. Still found 1/2 hour to knock out a couple more little jobs.

I did cut som 4” discs for my RC and a spare In case I put a baffle in my RC. Used a hole saw, and it’s probably the last time I do that, first one came out rough, next one not so rough, third one, well on par with the second. Still, they fit pretty snuggley in the pipe after a bit of attention with a file. Only tried to twist my wrist off about a dozen times when the hole saw would grab. I’ve got bruises on my leg where the battery of the drill kept sacking into me when the hole saw grabbed. I’m so glad I screwed the plate down as I would be in hospital now with half my leg cut off. Still the kids watching through my sons bedroom window thought watching me battling was hilarious.

603AABEC-8D02-4C52-8C82-A1851907DBE3.jpeg

458DCABA-9691-48F2-83E1-C534FB5C3F53.jpeg

59615B33-C104-432C-B6EA-DADE0CDB2C3E.jpeg

7CC690EC-642E-4BA2-B905-091B5EA3CD08.jpeg

I then tec screwed a stainless pot scourer to a length of 3/8 pipe I had kicking around, loaded it up into the drill and started cleaning up the inside of the block head. Probably a pointless exercise as I still need to fit my easy flanges and cut & solder in the 2” outlet. But it sure does look awesome. Huge difference to the streaky black insides that it came with.

8C1E558E-D88B-4876-9CEE-76B6E7C1FA3D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A&O

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Nice work mate she's well on the way,used ta live in Albany some years ago Yakimia and Mt clarence,and had some great days down at Middleton beach and emu point,the water out of the tap was cool but had a certain taste that I am not sure I would be super happy useing for good fermentations,as I was not stilling in those days.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby A&O » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:00 am

Yeah that odd taste is the prisoner piss. All the pumping wells for the town water supply are all around the prison, on the sand flats behind the dunes. So we suffer a lot with calcium and iron in the water. Doesn’t help having an overcrowded prison, that’s not connected to town sewage, right in the middle of the towns water supply field.

We’ve got filters on the house water and for starters that’ll do for beginners. Once I move away from basic sugar mashes to AG and molasses mashes then I’m going to have to think about what water I’m going to use. As our shed is going to be rebuilt soon, I’m going to put a water tank off it and if I can keep the roof & gutters clean enough may use that when I progress to finer spirits.
A&O

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:35 pm

woodduck wrote:See how i go today, I might have time this arvo to do a quick easy flange. Mmmm it will be the first for the mother duck, yay progress :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I ended up finding a few minutes so here is how I do mine, hope it helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:

https://youtu.be/6DeVQz4WThc
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby A&O » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 pm

Your a CHAMPION Woodduck, thanks for the great video, you’ll be off to Hollywood soon
A&O

Postby db1979 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:39 am

Nice progress A&O, don't forget to drill the water inlet and outlet holes before putting your RC together.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills