perf plate design

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

perf plate design

Postby Nathan02 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 am

hi guys, just doing my perf plates. im running 1.6mm holes over a 5mm pattern. would you guys consider this to be of a workable size and consistency? i was also chasing a recommendation on what size (od) my downcomer should be made from? and how far it should sit away from the edge of the plate? thanks! ^:)^
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Re: perf plate design

Postby scythe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:45 am

Try this:
"search our site link results"

Or just scroll through the plated column section of the forum and read the ones that mention perf. or perforated plates in the title.

Its all there to be found.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby A&O » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 am

There is a really cool spirally type design someone post I read months ago but blowd if I can find it for you. I found when I’m looking for something specific it sometimes takes a while, but during the search I have learnt so much along the way, just take your time and it’ll come, along with answers to heaps of other questions you may have running around in the back of your mind, as well as, “ah, that’s how it’s done”. Good luck.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby woodduck » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 am

Alot of the early builds were perf plates.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:50 pm

I used perf plates in my bubbler as 5 Star had a special on them at the time. Now rather than have 2 gaskets on the triclamap seal I just cut the perf plates down to the ID of the 4" and soft soldered them in. Now for the downcomer I just used some 3/4" pipe and made a cup out of some 1" by soldering some flat onto the pipe then soft soldered to the 3/4" so one side was touching leaving the other side open to let the spirit drain, also leave a 10mm space when soft soldering. Also a 1mm hole in the base of cup lets the downcomer drain after the run is finished.

I'm sure there is some pic's in my build thread too.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Plated Column Stills