Fogged bottom plate

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Fogged bottom plate

Postby r1zzla » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:15 pm

This morning I did a run - 60L MacRum on 4 plates.
All went OK got the expected yield (around 6L @ 100% from 6L @ 10.5%).

Usually all the SGs clear whilst the foreshots are being taken off, then all stay clear until the onset of tails. I usually use the first bit of fogging on SG one as the first indication of tails.

This time the bottom SG had water droplets / fogging from beginning to end.

The only difference between this run and previous runs is a complete strip down and clean up of copper etc. But did a steam run prior to the rum and all clamps were checked for leaks.

An ideas as to what causes this ?
r1zzla

equipment: 80L horizontal keg boiler & FSD 6 plate Neutraliser.
Carter Head with 2 plates
pure distilling reflux.

Re: Fogged bottom plate

Postby woodduck » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:48 pm

I've had this happen a couple of times as well. Not sure what causes it. Funnily enough they have been rum as well. I put it down to poor quality alc in the wash or running too hard. There seemed to be alot of tails in those runs. Whether the ferment wasn't any good or maybe smearing.

I didn't go much further into it than that so I'm not much help and I could be way off on the reasoning. It will be interesting to see what your spirit turns out like, fingers crossed it will be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Lowie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:25 pm

I get the same from time to time too with rum. Never really thought why that might be, but Woody's thoughts are worth considering and further exploring next time it happens for me. Taste doesn't appear to differ for me... :think:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby r1zzla » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:07 pm

woodduck wrote:I've had this happen a couple of times as well. Not sure what causes it. Funnily enough they have been rum as well. I put it down to poor quality alc in the wash or running too hard. There seemed to be alot of tails in those runs. Whether the ferment wasn't any good or maybe smearing.

I didn't go much further into it than that so I'm not much help and I could be way off on the reasoning. It will be interesting to see what your spirit turns out like, fingers crossed it will be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I was running it a the same pace as all the other gens (.3L/hr FS, then 1.5l/hr for next 1000ml then 1.9l/hr until tails).
I tried an early cuts test this morning .. not good seems to go straight from heads into tails, so into the rum feints jar with the whole run :crying-blue:

I'll try stripping the Neutraliser down and rebuilding it before the next run.
r1zzla

equipment: 80L horizontal keg boiler & FSD 6 plate Neutraliser.
Carter Head with 2 plates
pure distilling reflux.

Postby woodduck » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Yep that seems the same as mine, straight from heads to tails. Not sure what causes it, not speed by the sounds of it so wash might be the culprit. I doubt its the still if you got the right amount of alc from it but could be :think:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:20 pm

r1zzla wrote:
woodduck wrote:I've had this happen a couple of times as well. Not sure what causes it. Funnily enough they have been rum as well. I put it down to poor quality alc in the wash or running too hard. There seemed to be alot of tails in those runs. Whether the ferment wasn't any good or maybe smearing.

I was running it a the same pace as all the other gens (.3L/hr FS, then 1.5l/hr for next 1000ml then 1.9l/hr until tails).
I tried an early cuts test this morning .. not good seems to go straight from heads into tails, so into the rum feints jar with the whole run :crying-blue:

I'll try stripping the Neutraliser down and rebuilding it before the next run.

Seems to be a bit of that going on. Me and couple others have had same thing
You asked in rum thread how many gens you can do maybe time to start again.. :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Plated Column Stills