Dan's Bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Dan's Bubbler

Postby dans.brew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Did a run through the bubbler the other day and got right through with no little hiccups and then one of the pipes out my RC just let go. :angry-banghead:
At least i was at the end of the run... not sure why it all of a sudden let go. Perhaps it got knocked or the hose connected to it got pulled, anyway i decided to add some reinforcement to it.
20190201_190148.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby RC Al » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:58 pm

looks like your on top of it,
My plumber mate shakes his head at all the butt solder joints we use, says they are certainly strong enough as a static join, but anything he has to do on a job has to be supported, a "branch puller" is used
to the all electric 4" hole former..
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby dans.brew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Yeah, when i soldered on the pipes to the RC i did it from the inside before fully assembling all the internals and i was trying to make it look fairly tidy from the outside. Because of this it probably didn't have enough solder on it to have the strengh required.
That branch puller RC AL would certainly fix this problem without having a big lump of solder on there... it would look real tidy too!
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:08 pm

There’s a YouTube video where a guy does it with a torch to heat it and aneal the copper, then uses a ?SS-pipe? And a hammer create such a joint in ordered to join a smaller copper pipe to a larger one...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills