Dan's Bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Dan's Bubbler

Postby Lowie » Wed May 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Sweet still Dan. She's come together nicely. Now if I could just get my missus to make me a cover...But I'd have to buy her a sewing machine :think:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby dans.brew » Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 pm

db1979 wrote:
dans.brew wrote:I was more referring to manufacturer faults... but i have read macs instructions a few times and they are fairly simple. Once ya got it coming out the pc at the right flow... dont touch it!

Yeah but sight glasses will help you identify problems and determine solutions far easier than not having sight glasses. Plus you'll know your bubbler inside and out cause you built it.

Yeah... exactly right! Plus who wouldn't want to watch pretty little bubbles through smick looking glass windows that ya made yourself.
I've read that the onset of tails is a lot easier to pick too.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby dans.brew » Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Lowie wrote: Now if I could just get my missus to make me a cover...But I'd have to buy her a sewing machine :think:

Thanks Lowie... my Mrs loves her Rum, especially what i make her! So i suppose you could say she has an invested interest... or perhaps she loves me. :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

Postby dans.brew » Wed May 09, 2018 8:02 pm

bluc wrote:Like the cover was only thinking of this the other day. Good work :clap:

The Mrs reckons she might put a drawstring in it for me yet. Should keep the spiders and other nasties out.

If it wasnt a issue height wise id store it in a old buggered fridge like a fair majority of my other homebrew gear. They make a great storage solution... everthing stays clean, dry and neat and tidy after you shut the door.
Best bit is they cost you nothing, most people are happy to get rid of them.
dans.brew

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 12, 2018 8:50 am

Thats a nice idea and I do like the look of your still.

My wife is trying to get my to buy a 20' sea container to put in our back yard (we have a large yard 800+ sqm), once we get rid of one truck. She'd like it air-conditioned and insulated ... :dance:

I'm thinking YES! :text-thankyoublue:

Then our set-up will remain installed and I'll surround it with a plain Cupboard with an extraction fan to the outside - for both, heat & fume extraction... I really liked Redux's set up (might need to scroll down - close to the bottom) and I think I can accomplish something like this in there, too... :pray:
Last edited by EziTasting on Sat May 12, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby dans.brew » Sat May 12, 2018 10:26 pm

EziTasting wrote:My wife is trying to get my to buy a 20' sea container to put in our back yard (we have a large yard 800+ sqm), once we get rid of one truck. She'd like it air-conditioned and insulated ... :dance:

That is my plan some day too.... just not likely anytime soon with a young family and all!
We've bought a few for the farm for chemical storage and the 40' are not that much dearer than the 20' considering they are twice as big. If you want stable temperature inside definitely go insulated as they are unbearable inside on a hot summers day.
When i get mine im thinking of putting it alongside a shed and perhaps put a second roof and wall on it. Prob would leave gap between the 2 roofs open for airflow... should eke it a bit cooler
dans.brew

Postby scythe » Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 am

Have you thought of partially burrying it?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 13, 2018 9:34 am

scythe wrote:Have you thought of partially burrying it?

It’s going over a part of our yard that used to be a walkway which is where they have sewerage pipes, so that’s not an option.

Interesting thought, like a secret cellar!?!? You’d want to rust-proof it!! And make sure there’s good drainage around it...
EziTasting

Postby woodduck » Sun May 13, 2018 10:04 am

I looked into burying one and it sounds like a no go. They're built for top load only not side load. The walls aren't strong enough apparently.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby dans.brew » Sun May 13, 2018 12:49 pm

I did have the thought of surrounding it with straw bales, would definatly insulate it. Once they break down a bit it wouldn't be hard to put more there... could still run with the second roof idea and have it go out over the top of the bales.
dans.brew

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Hey, we’re not poopooing you idea! In fact we both liked it, but my old man build a cellar and didn’t water proof it nor do any significant drainage woo it ended up being a fancy water strainer :laughing-rolling: and I had to did it free coz he was too old! :angry-banghead:

Woodduck liked the idea as well, hence him looking in to it. Unfortunately (or I’d say it’s fortunate) he discovered that the he walls aren’t strong enough to hold the dirt out and it would collapse.

There’s 2 nuggets you got just by posting your thoughts! :music-deathmetal:

Good luck.
EziTasting

Postby scythe » Sun May 13, 2018 2:53 pm

What about digging down and puting retaining walls so the container does not support anything.
Then you insulate between the retaining wall and container.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 13, 2018 2:55 pm

scythe wrote:What about digging down and puting retaining walls so the container does not support anything.

I think this is probably the only way to do it. But that’ll tick all the boxes raised! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just a little out of my current wallet size! :-D
EziTasting

Postby woodduck » Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 pm

scythe wrote:What about digging down and puting retaining walls so the container does not support anything.

Thought about that too but then why bother with the container at all? May as well just build a concrete room?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby dans.brew » Sun May 13, 2018 4:13 pm

EziTasting wrote:Hey, we’re not poopooing you idea! In fact we both liked it.

There’s 2 nuggets you got just by posting your thoughts! :music-deathmetal:

I didnt think you were bagging it at all!
I just had the 2 thoughts thats all. Any different ideas/ suggestions always welcome as far as im concerned.
Its all just a dream for one day! I think building a bubbler might be enough to pass through the higher authority for a while. :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 13, 2018 6:23 pm

woodduck wrote:Thought about that too but then why bother with the container at all? May as well just build a concrete room?

:text-+1:

I like the idea of a container above ground because it’s quickly installed, I can power it from a Genny aaaand, when I leave, I’ll take it with me! There quite a few up here that come with ACs already installed, just a matter of having the $$$cha-ching$$$ at the ready because I can get mates to drop it in for me!

dans.brew wrote:I didnt think you were bagging it at all!
I just had the 2 thoughts thats all. Any different ideas/ suggestions always welcome as far as im concerned.
Its all just a dream for one day! I think building a bubbler might be enough to pass through the higher authority for a while. :laughing-rolling:

That’s good news, because try as I might, I tend to upset people with the way I talk.
Typical Seth Efrican-German arrogant and obnoxious!

BTW: We prefer to be known as factual and to the point! No pussy-footing to waste our time. o:-)
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Sun May 13, 2018 7:10 pm

How about concrete underground room with a container on top with hidden entrance.. :D
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:21 pm

bluc wrote:How about concrete underground room with a container on top with hidden entrance.. :D

Better throw in an elevator... With facial recognition :teasing-tease:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 13, 2018 7:35 pm

:text-+1: :laughing-rolling:

Don’t forget retinal AND voice recognition

All the can then no of is the cartoon The Incredibles:- Edna Moe... :laughing-rolling:

Awesome!
EziTasting

Postby RC Al » Sun May 13, 2018 7:54 pm

There are a few mobs here in aus who specializes in underground houses, one of them use curved corrugated pieces similar in dimensions to Armco guard rail, they recon it's around 20% dearer than regular construction methods and then you get all the energy savings of underground living.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills