Stainless steel bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Stainless steel bubbler

Postby Glow » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Hey Guys,
Want to know what you think.
Its a 4" windowed bubbler tower, plates are made for bubbler caps but they have not arrived yet, which is why you can't see them.
Can't wait for them to arrive and finish this off, plates can be fitted with perforated plates if desired and has 3" 10mm thick borsilicate windows.
On top is 4" dephlegmator with 3/4 standard tap fittings on to a 3" Shotgun with 20 pipes inside also with 3/4 standard tap fittings.
This is Mark1, need to do a few improvements but all and all it came up ok.
I went for the downcommers on the side for more control but probably not necessary.
Mark2 will be a bit more interesting as it will have perforated plates rather than changable plates, I thought probably that was over kill, and a 200mm Borsilicate Glass Mesh Base for botanicals etc as well as a mini thumper.
That should look good and be practical, I am unsure of the exact details until I try it, but all the plans are drawn up and it works on paper, the thumper will be very interesting with the design I have in mind.
If all goes to plan it will be a modulare design so all the parts are interchangeable from stripper to pot to reflux to bubbler to botanicals.
This is made to go on top of my, soon to be, 200L S/S boiler (shhh) getting a 4" ferule tigged on to the top of one of them.
I have 12 200L brand new S/S drums that fell in to my possesion for the best price, ($0.00) so I figure I may as well use 1 to cook stuff.
And yes I did have a drink with my Sis.

Glow

equipment: 2 x 30L Fermenters, 900mm x 100mm Bubbler Tower on a 50L Boiler

Re: Stainless steel bubbler

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Absolutely beautiful looking rig :handgestures-thumbupleft:

How do you plan on controlling reflux?

The hose connections would look sweet in brass, and also the outlet on the reflux condenser would be better off not being plastic, I found the plastic joiner I used melted on mine.

Also on the external downcomers, it looks more like a plate disabling system to me, what have you got in place to prevent vapor flowing past the plates when the valves are open?

I think you'll still need an internal tube and cup style downcomer system, or something similar.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Lookin good Glow :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:52 pm

its pretty !

I edited this post because I was under the impression Glow built this himself , when It seems that it's a chinese import
Last edited by stubbydrainer on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Glow » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Being water going throgh the condensors I thought the plastic would be ok but....
Yeah shiny is better
I drilled the brass fitting out on the condensor so that I could
A. attach a hose if needed or
B. put a 9.5mm copper tube for the run off

Thoughts are welcome
Glow

equipment: 2 x 30L Fermenters, 900mm x 100mm Bubbler Tower on a 50L Boiler

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:53 pm

The water running out the exit from your reflux condenser is going to be pretty hot, you only need a very small trickle going through it when your collecting so you will need some type of valve on there to control reflux.

The product condenser should be fine though, it'll get nowhere near the temps your reflux condenser will.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Thats one very nice looking set up Glow........if it works half as good as it looks your onto a winner :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby olddog » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:20 pm

It looks a bit like this one, even the Chinese are getting into Flutes/Bubblers now.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/53057 ... _lab_.html

:teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:

OD
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:26 pm

olddog wrote:It looks a bit like this one, even the Chinese are getting into Flutes/Bubblers now.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/53057 ... _lab_.html

:teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:

OD

OH!

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby olddog » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Glow wrote:I went for the downcommers on the side for more control but probably not necessary.

If you built this, which you did not, you would know that is a plate dissabling system like I have on Flute Mk11, not external downcomers. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

OD
olddog

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:37 pm

olddog wrote:
Glow wrote:I went for the downcommers on the side for more control but probably not necessary.

If you built this, which you did not, you would know that is a plate dissabling system like I have on Flute Mk11, not external downcomers. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

OD

... and would've also understood why I asked the questions in my first response ;-)

It's a nice looking "incomplete" still.

I'm getting the feeling this post by Glow was just a troll :snooty: :snooty:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby olddog » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:50 pm

You can't fool the Olddog, I was the one who re-designed these things for home use in the first place. :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener:

OD
olddog

Postby SBB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:52 pm

The last time I heard of a chinese company going by the name of Alibaba was in the news. From memory the story went a bit like this.....a heap of wheat farmers or some other farmers imported about 6 x 40 foot containers of Fertiliser from an Chinese internet Co...all was well untill the containers were delivered ......the fertiliser turned out to be Chinese dirt. To top it off a few aussie Customs officals had egg on thier faces for letting 6 containers through without inspection.

EDIT .....link to story here http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-12/farmers-dirty-over-chinese-fertiliser-shipment/2791126
Last edited by SBB on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:54 pm

olddog wrote:You can't fool the Olddog, I was the one who re-designed these things for home use in the first place. :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener:

OD

Yes you were :handgestures-thumbupleft:

And I'm sure many of us who followed in your footsteps would like to shout you a drink one day ;-)

Well all except the bloke that patented your idea :teasing-neener:

:teasing-tease:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:04 pm

I wonder, being from China and all, will it fall apart like the 2 stroke generators they make?
No offense to any chinese intended.

Either way, you could probably buy one from there fully made, for the price you could buy the material here.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 pm

WineGlass wrote:I wonder, being from China and all, will it fall apart like the 2 stroke generators they make?
No offense to any chinese intended.

Either way, you could probably buy one from there fully made, for the price you could buy the material here.

The actual history of this rig is quite interesting, but I'll let others spill the beans on it when they're ready ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 pm

McStill wrote:And I'm sure many of us who followed in your footsteps would like to shout you a drink one day ;-)

I'm on that list.

He's pretty sharp for and olddog.
emptyglass

Postby olddog » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Here is the original Flute :-D
001_crop.jpg

Here is Flute Mk11 with the internal dephleg, and plate dissabling system. :-D
001.JPG
001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
olddog

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Mark 1 & Mark 2........... beautiful :dance:

Sumptin bout copper that SS just doesnt have, it's called "CLASS" IMHO

kinda makes my undies twitch :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Now gentlemen,let's all take a breath,and let Glow have the benefit of the doubt. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Honestly mate,you have at least 2 of the pioneers in the design of bubbler/perf plates hobby distilling set ups frequenting this forum,did you ACTUALLY think that you could pass this off as your OWN design :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Hang on,I need another fuckin drink,my throat is so dry from laughing :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
I'll be back shortly :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills