Russ's bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Russ's bubbler

Postby Russ » Tue May 29, 2018 7:09 pm

My afternoons effort, as per db's suggestion I did the sight glass 3" on the BBQ, I also only used the mapp gas torch, I am trying to not use so much oxygen on the porta oxy set, it is expensive, not as expensive as setting up a normal oxy set though.

It worked, not as fast as the oxy set but not too bad. I don't think it would work on the 4" though, I will use the mapp torch plus the BBQ to soak some heat in and make the process as fast as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russ

equipment: A bunch of tortured scrap in the shed that dreams of being a 4-5 plate bubbler one day.

Postby bluc » Tue May 29, 2018 7:22 pm

Great work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:42 pm

Good work :handgestures-thumbupleft:

BBQ idea was RC Al's.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Russ » Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Whoops, sorry bout that RC Al :) senior moment.
Russ

equipment: A bunch of tortured scrap in the shed that dreams of being a 4-5 plate bubbler one day.

Postby RC Al » Tue May 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Yeah, was starting to stress about the royalties :))
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby db1979 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Cheque's now in the mail 8-}
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Russ » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:14 pm

So quick question, if you use bubble caps, how do you drain the plates once everything is finished ? Even perf plate will hold some liquid in the drain part.
Russ

Postby woodduck » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:18 pm

1.8mm max hole in plate.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Russ » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:09 am

That sounds a lot better/easier than the drain back valve system I had in mind, cheers.
Russ

Postby Russ » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:26 pm

So I was having trouble getting enough heat into the 4" using the oxy set I have, and I really don't like soft solder that much, so I dropped a T piece to a mate that has a TIG, and asked nicely if he could have a crack at TIG'ing the 3" sight glass section onto the 4". He had some trouble at first until he worked it out and I reckon he did a pretty sweet job, used copper wire as filler.

Gotta clean up the remaining pieces and get him to do the rest. Cheering !

I will give it a vinegar bath to make it pretty and re-post the result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russ

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:40 pm

Nice, :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Might have a couple of pin holes in it though looking at the picture. Sure you can fix them up if they are though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Russ » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Yeah he had some porosity issues, the plan is to leak test it and if the holes go right through I'll dob a bit of silver solder on to close them up.
Russ

Postby Russ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Tried to order some sight glasses from the 5 star site but its down, bugger, should have done it the other day...
Russ

Postby Russ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Got another 2 T pieces back from my mate, that is 3 done. I dropped the blockhead and another T to him, I have to clean up the last piece and get it to him, then that is all of them.

Pretty happy.
Russ

Postby dans.brew » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Nice work mate! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You've got a pretty handy mater there. They should look smick all cleaned up.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Russ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Cheers Dan.

I am really happy how they turned out, the photos don't do them justice. I have decided to wait until they are all done, and the seals seat properly before I make them pretty. I was going to buff polish them but tried the old vinegar/lemon juice/salt cleaning brew and that worked quite well. I reckon after a good clean and a coat of clear engine enamel they will look the part.
Russ

Postby Russ » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Been a while since I last posted, haven't had much time for the build but there has been some progress.

Got a mate with an oxy set to silver solder the RC together and the cooling water pipes. He did the pipes a bit different to what I had on mind but no matter, it should work.
He also soldered the 3" right angle and easy flanges together that clamp onto the blockhead, and PC.

Still need to build the PC core and start on the perf plates.

Decided to assemble what parts I do have so far, hopefully I will get inspired and finish it someday.

Easy flanges seem to work OK, used PTFE seals with the locating ridge sliced off, haven't done a leak test yet, don't want to ruin my weekend haha.
Russ

Postby bluc » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Sweet as personally I would get a 4" fitting on keg. 2" is bit wonky...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:25 pm

Yea what I've found when tiggin copper if the filler rod isn't 100% clean it will cause porosity, I use 1.6mm enameled copper wire and spend ages sanding off the enamel. Even tried burning it off too then sanding but still get porosity, in the end I just use a clean glove for the filler feed and that seems to work.

Now for hard soldering putting the solder piece ontop of a burner can speed up the process by a huge margin as copper is a natural heatsink if another heat source is there the part you heat with a torch will get upto temp that much quicker.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby dans.brew » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Russ wrote:
Decided to assemble what parts I do have so far, hopefully I will get inspired and finish it someday.

Coming together nicely Russ!
Just keep thinking of how shiney it will look all polished up... not to mention the tasty nectar that will flow from it! That should keep you going. :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills