Russ's bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Russ's bubbler

Postby Russ » Sat May 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Bit stalled at the moment, tried to silver solder on the T pieces last weekend, I was using a mates LPG oxy setup, and it was in an open shed, very windy/rainy so I couldn't get enough heat into the 4". I have since got one of those fibreglass looking fire blankets. The plan is to wrap it around each piece then try again, of course it is windy and rainy again this weekend but I reckon a little wind/heat insulation will go a long way.
Russ

equipment: A bunch of tortured scrap in the shed that dreams of being a 4-5 plate bubbler one day.

Postby db1979 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:55 pm

How long do you reckon you heated it before giving up?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Russ » Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Too long, also the torch kept flaming out, then the copper would cool super fast, going to have another crack tomorrow, hope I have better luck.
Russ

equipment: A bunch of tortured scrap in the shed that dreams of being a 4-5 plate bubbler one day.

Postby RC Al » Sat May 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Stick it on the bbq, take the plates off for bigger bits
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Russ » Sun May 27, 2018 10:05 am

Thats sure to freak the missus out...again...just another day really haha.

Good idea though, might be more efficient using my portable oxy set that way, nice preheat on the BBQ well before I start solver soldering.
Russ

Postby db1979 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:59 am

Try soft solder instead for your sight glass tees. No need for silver solder. Just make sure you use aquasafe.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Russ » Sun May 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Yeah that is plan b, though I would preferred to keep it all silver solder, I guess it won't make a scrap of difference really.
Russ

Postby Russ » Sun May 27, 2018 12:39 pm

So here is a quick look at the pieces so far shoved together, still a bit left to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russ

Postby db1979 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Nah, no difference so long as you don't expect too much from it. I used soft solder on all of mine. I made a butt joint for the reducer at the bottom of the plated section and just reinforced it with some extra scrap copper in behind the join. I flared the blockhead joint on both pieces by about 10 mm so both sides had extra surface area. Plenty strong.
db1979

Postby db1979 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Looking good!
db1979

Postby Russ » Sun May 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Cheers db.

I started to look at what to do after the PC, and my budget for this build is about $10 bucks haha so I am thinking of using what I have lying around as much as possible. So here is what I came up with, I have a 3" to 2" reducer donated by a mate, and also a 2" end cap, donated by the same mate. I will silver solder them together, it will be a butt join but its really only gotta hold the parrot's weight. Then I will drill a hole in the end of the cap to reduce further to 1/2" or 5/8 pipe, whatever the parrot ends up being made from. I have a bit of straight 1/2" left over so I am leaning that way.

I will easy flange the reducer/parrot assembly to keep things modular, as you can see by the unfinished 1/4 rings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russ

Postby Russ » Sun May 27, 2018 4:47 pm

Actually I suppose the smaller the pipe to the parrot the less volume contained inside, going to look at what everybody else does, is 3/8" too small? Then 1" for the body part.

I am thinking of a valve at the bottom to purge the initial fores and drain for cleaning after all said and done.
Russ

Postby db1979 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:47 pm

3/8" is perfect. 1/4" is too small. You're right, you want to keep the volume as small as you can. 1" for the parrot body is good but will depend on the size of the alcometer. Just make sure it's got plenty of room otherwise rising product can push the alcometer up giving a false low reading.

Instead of using the end cap, have you considered making a cone out of copper plate scrap? I made one for the top of my parrot but my parrot isn't attached to the PC. It's free standing. Make sure your add breather holes otherwise your parrot will surge.
db1979

Postby db1979 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:51 pm

He's a photo of my parrot with the cone. I'm going to change the 1/4" outlet (beak) as it's too narrow. Probably go with 3/8".
15274145256250.jpg
db1979

Postby db1979 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 pm

I didn't bother with a drain for mine, I just stick a jar straight under the PC and when I'm happy I've collected enough fores I swap it over for the parrot and start collecting off the parrot. The parrot takes a bit of time to start filling so it's an easy process.
db1979

Postby db1979 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:58 pm

You could also cut and reshape the ends of the 3" to 2" reducer so it reduces down to the 1/2" or 3/8" instead. Be a bit fiddly though.
db1979

Postby Russ » Sun May 27, 2018 9:37 pm

I had originally thought of doing exactly what you said and slot the existing reducer to form a smaller cone but since then I have looked at tri clamps and the smaller ones are pretty cheap, I had also ordered an extra 2" for an existing reflux column I have on loan from a mate. I was going to get that going first but I will just concentrate on this plated one instead. My plan is to tri clamp the reducer on both ends, with an easy flange on the 2" cap, that way the only extra thing I need is a 2" seal.

3/8 sounds like the go, I'll acquire some of that, I have AC pipe but if I find some hard drawn plumbing stuff at least it will be nice and straight.

I had planned to fix the parrot to the PC and the drain would be handy for that, though I do like the process you are using, even simpler, I like keeping things nice and simple. Might have to ponder it for a while. The great thing about using tri clamps everywhere is I can change things around easily. The 4" ones start getting expensive but 3" and smaller are not too bad.
Last edited by Russ on Sun May 27, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ

Postby Russ » Sun May 27, 2018 9:48 pm

I only decided to easy flange the 2" cap to the reducer tonight as I remembered I have an extra tri clamp on its way. Soldering them together would have worked as well, but I might as well use the clamp. I am thinking if I was a little cunning I could use the 2" tri clamp to hold a bracket the would brace the parrot, rather than have it hang on the 1/2 or now 3/8 pipe only.
Russ

Postby Russ » Tue May 29, 2018 5:24 pm

Mail delivery today, one of 4" to 2" inch reducer, stainless, for about 30 bucks delivered. Also got a couple of 2 inch triclamps at the same time.

I was going to make the reducer from copper but it wouldn't have looked anywhere near as nice as this!
Russ

Postby Russ » Tue May 29, 2018 7:05 pm

These are some weird looking snags...
Russ

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills